You are here

Crackling coming from left channel when playing back sounds

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Crackling coming from left channel when playing back sounds

Postby Bunderson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi I'm really scratching my head with this one and was wondering if anybody could help. I have a PC with an m-audio audiophile delta 2496 card and after my PC has been switched on for 10-15 minutes, I get a crackling coming out of the left speaker. If I reboot the PC, it disappears for a while again!

I have audiophile > behringer 802 mixer > krk monitors. Win 7 SP1 64bit.

I have tried running the sound card straight to the monitor and the crackle is still there (not the mixer at fault). I have also swapped the L and R cables round, crackle only from left cable (not the monitor at fault).

I have checked all hardware setting, IRQ and the like, no conflicts.

It's really bugging me. There's no crackle if I record anything (even if it was crackling at the time) so if it is the sound card at fault, it's only on playback!

Can anyone offer any advice on anything else to try?

Many thanks
Bunderson
Poster

Re: Crackling coming from left channel when playing back sounds

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:13 pm

I suspect our old friend the ground-loop is at work again.

I've never had issues until I installed a new set of monitors a couple of weeks ago. It was like I could hear all those little electrons busying themselves bustling about doing whatever they need to do. But every so often it seemed as if they'd stop for a breather before starting up again.

Fortunately I had an ART DTI sitting here doing nothing so patched that into the monitor inputs - silence!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Crackling coming from left channel when playing back sounds

Postby Bunderson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 am

OK I've found one of these on ebay for around the £35 mark. I am willing to give it a go for this price. Thanks for the advice and fingers crossed!
Bunderson
Poster