You are here

win 8 and Firewire

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

win 8 and Firewire

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:55 am

I read just yesterday that W8 has dropped FW driver support.

Can this be so?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Re: win 8 and Firewire

Postby Living Room Rocker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:37 am

Be it as it may (and I cannot confirm that news), you can always run firewire devices in compatibility mode. I have a Win8 laptop with a thunderbolt port which I use for my Saffire Pro 24 and it works flawlessly. As long as Focusrite has a firewire driver, I am good to go. So, if the device manufacture has Windows drivers, you should be okay.

Kind regards,

tecknot
Living Room Rocker
Poster

Postby Andi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:46 am

Mine's still there.
Andi
Frequent Poster
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

Postby Andi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:05 am

It doesn't have the Legacy driver though.
Andi
Frequent Poster
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:09 am

Living Room Rocker wrote:Be it as it may (and I cannot confirm that news), you can always run firewire devices in compatibility mode.

We can only wish! FW support is still there, they've *just* removed the compatibility driver.

(so nothing major then...)

Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Phil Reynolds » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:48 am

It pretty much felt like they'd removed it from Win 7. Hence LiquidMix ==> bin.
Phil Reynolds
Regular
"We knocked on the doors of Hell's darker chambers..." But no-one answered, so we went to the pub instead.

Postby Tombot » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:33 am

People using the latest drivers for DICE II based units (Focusrite, Presonus etc) should be ok, as the latest driver is designed to work with the standard firewire driver, NOT legacy.
Tombot
Regular

Postby Andi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 pm

RME FF now fine with standard driver too. Thesycon driver was good in lieu of Legacy Driver.

A.
Andi
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Ahhh.. wasn't aware the new DICE driver (finally) sorted it. Yeah, I'd read about the RME fixes / work arounds so it looks like most firms are catching up then. Still may result in a few legacy devices going in the bin during the next system upgrade mind.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Ahhh.. wasn't aware the new DICE driver (finally) sorted it. Yeah, I'd read about the RME fixes / work arounds so it looks like most firms are catching up then. Still may result in a few legacy devices going in the bin during the next system upgrade mind.

Is there any technical reason why Microsoft have been changing the firewire support?
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Andi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Ahhh.. wasn't aware the new DICE driver (finally) sorted it. Yeah, I'd read about the RME fixes / work arounds so it looks like most firms are catching up then. Still may result in a few legacy devices going in the bin during the next system upgrade mind.

Again, just in-case anyone missed it - the Thesycon T1394 driver is a very good replacement for the MS Legacy driver - I used it under W8 until the RME update went in and it works well.
Andi
Frequent Poster

Postby Johnsy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 pm

johnny h wrote:Is there any technical reason why Microsoft have been changing the firewire support?

The user-facing reason for introducing the new driver (1394ohci.sys) is to provide 1394b support.

The reason this was implemented as a new driver (rather than an extension of the existing stack), is that Microsoft’s driver model has changed, and naturally they wish to be consistent with it.

Whilst the legacy driver is actually two drivers – 1394bus.sys and ohci1394.sys - in a port/miniport relationship as defined by the Windows Driver Model (WDM), the new driver is a single, unified driver complying with the Kernel Mode Driver Framework (KMDF), part of MS’s new model for driver development, WDF (which stands for ‘Windows Driver Foundation’ or ‘Windows Driver Frameworks’, depending on which document you're looking at).
Johnsy
Regular