You are here

Partition Magic

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Partition Magic

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:38 pm

Greetings kind folk,

I stupidly installed my OS on the 1.5 terabyte partition of my 2 terabyte drive. Is there a current equivalent to the old Partition Magic that can resize the partitions for me?

Thanks,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Re: Partition Magic

Postby Scramble » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Acronis Disk Director, or for a good freebie, Easeus.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:31 pm

Well, Easus looks like it will do what I need... but I'm kind of hesitant to use free software. Have you used it? This is likely a stupid reservation, as I use Fedora linux at home, and that's all free software.

Thanks for your response. I guess I'll take a ghost image of the drive in case anything goes awry.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:53 pm

twotoedsloth wrote:Well, Easus looks like it will do what I need... but I'm kind of hesitant to use free software. Have you used it? This is likely a stupid reservation, as I use Fedora linux at home, and that's all free software.

Thanks for your response. I guess I'll take a ghost image of the drive in case anything goes awry.

I've used this http://partitionlogic.org.uk/ free software before (it's live cd based on Linux) and worked perfectly.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 pm

I used Partition Magic in the past, but for the last few years I've been using GParted with the Live Distro on CD.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Maybe Disk Management in Windows will do it.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:39 pm

You might be right... One can shrink a volume, so maybe the leftover space from shrinking will let one expand to use up that space.

I'll do a ghost backup and give it a shot.

Thanks!
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:23 pm

zenguitar wrote:I used Partition Magic in the past, but for the last few years I've been using GParted with the Live Distro on CD.

Another GParted user here. It's never let me down yet (dangerous thing to say, I know)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Save paradise, Pull up a parking lot!

Postby Scramble » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:48 pm

Yes, I have used Easeus, and it worked fine, although I mostly use Acronis Disk Director because I already had it and it's slightly better. But if I didn't have DD I wouldn't bother buying it now, I'd use one of the freebies.

I think maybe Windows Disk Management can do it, at least on W7, but it's a lot harder to use than the third-party software.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:10 pm

EaseUS Partition master, home edition, is very similar to Partition Manager in look and operation and I have used it on a number of Windows PCs, over the years, without problem.

GParted is also very good (I use it on my Linux box), although it has a different look and feel to Partition Manager/EaseUs.

Always back up your data first on the disk whose partitions you are resizing. Also, with the PC powered off, physically unplugging the data cables (SATA or IDE) from any disks not involved in the process is sensible. Using different partition sizes is also an aid to being able to positively identify which disks you are either resizing or partitioning.

TJ
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:01 am

Scramble wrote:Yes, I have used Easeus, and it worked fine, although I mostly use Acronis Disk Director because I already had it and it's slightly better. But if I didn't have DD I wouldn't bother buying it now, I'd use one of the freebies.

I think maybe Windows Disk Management can do it, at least on W7, but it's a lot harder to use than the third-party software.

Not a LOT. There's a limited range of functions, no way it can get THAT complicated.

Don't be frightened of free software. I trust Eset, Ccleaner, Malwarebytes a lot more than I do Norton, McAfee. LibreOffice does all that 90% of us use Office for, and doesn't try to suck us into a subscriprion-based licencing model. And then there's the whole Linux thing. Applications can be quirky, but sytstem utilities are generally excellent.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Kounoupi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:02 am

I use Mini Tool Partition Wizard - Home for cloning my C and data drives.
They call cloning "copy". Also good to manage partitions.
http://www.partitionwizard
Plus can get a bootable disk.
The home edition is free! :)
Kounoupi
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:05 pm

twotoedsloth wrote:Well, Easus looks like it will do what I need... but I'm kind of hesitant to use free software. Have you used it?

Hi twotoedsloth!

Sorry, only just noticed this thread. I've been using the free Home Edition of EASEUS Partition Master since 2010 when I first discussed it in my PC Notes column, and haven't had any complaints yet:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/articles ... s-1110.htm

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby John Reid » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 pm

Wombat is right -- you can shrink/expand volumes in Windows 7 and 8 via Computer Management/Disk Management.
John Reid
Regular

Postby jasmine » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:15 am

why there are so many people like to employ partition magic to do resize and similar tasks? i tried that program years ago, failed several tims to split my C drive. i know you some of you are posting advertisement.i use another assistant, read this you will know everything.http://www.extend-partition.com/free-pa ... nager.html
jasmine

Postby zenguitar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:29 am

No one is posting advertisements here jasmine, the SOS forum rules forbid advertising.

When someone uses software (or hardware) and finds it useful they are allowed to tell other forum members, which is what you are reading here.

zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:42 am

Partion Magic has been industry standard since way before I care to remember, I assure you that if you failed to get it working, then it was user a problem specfic to your configuration and not a wider issue.

But yeah, that said these days I keep a gparted live disk on my keyring pendrive for situations that windows can't resolve natively.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster