You are here

White screen on start-up...

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

White screen on start-up...

Postby KJF » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:51 pm

My old Acer Travelmate 290 might be slow, weigh a ton, have terrible battery life and not like too many tracks when I use Acid 6 BUT it does what I need it to do. Until recently, that is: when I press start I get a quick flash of the b&w boot screen and then nothing except for a white screen with no discernable activity from anything including the hard drive. Anyone have any idea what it might be? Do I have to admit defeat and buy another? I saw a Lenovo T60 on ebay. I'm sure that would be an upgrade. Come to think of it...maybe a pen and paper would be an upgrade as things stand....
KJF
Regular

Re: White screen on start-up...

Postby BJG145 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Assuming it has VGA out, try plugging in an external monitor and see if you get anything. Googling "Acer white screen" gets a lot of hits, like this YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0h58JACIU
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Roy A. Briant » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:34 am

Hi KJF,

I am agreed to BJG145 as this could be a VGA problem. Also there is a possibility that it could be the result of corrupted windows. Try adding an external monitor to see if the problem still persists. If it doesn't solve the problem you should install a fresh copy of windows which I believe will solve the problem. I saw an user on the below link found this helpful:

http://www.techyv.com/questions/slow-sy ... ogress-bar
Roy A. Briant

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Will it boot into Safe Mode? If you don't know what I'm talking about, take it to someone who does. A little knowledge only leads to false assumptions and maybe unnecessarily expensive decisions.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby OneWorld » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:36 pm

As already mentioned, first thing with a laptop, plug an extenal monitor in. And another occasional fix with a laptop is, it might have been set to just display to an external monitor/projector. ON some laptops it is the Windows + P key combination,(sometimes people do this by mistake having intended to press Ctrl _ P for Print) on other laptops there might be a dedicated function key that does the same - turns off the built in display.

Might seem unlikely but I have seen several laptops destined for the scrap heap until it was realised the external monitor/projector only display was set
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:41 pm

OneWorld wrote:As already mentioned, first thing with a laptop, plug an extenal monitor in. And another occasional fix with a laptop is, it might have been set to just display to an external monitor/projector.

I don't THINK this would result in white-screen. But it's easy to try.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby KJF » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I tried an external monitor - no joy. After removing the ram and reinserting I actually got the laptop to boot into windows a couple of times only for the white screen to return the next day. This, I think, suggests the HD is OK and there is some intermittent fault with the motherboard perhaps. I think if the ram were genuinely faulty it wouldn't work full stop.

I really wouldn't care at all if it were a simple case of taking my HD out of the Acer and putting it into another laptop without any need for reinstalling the software and setting everything up again but I don't think that's possible. Such is life, I suppose.
KJF
Regular

Postby Lizardpoint » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:56 am

The problem described could be due to a failing CMOS battery.

If you are confident to do this then it is quite a simple job.

Hope this helps.

Lizardpoint
Lizardpoint
Regular

Postby KJF » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:20 pm

The CMOS battery thing occurred to me this morning, actually. The laptop 'felt' as if it wanted to boot into windows after the initial start up but then proceeded to repeat the BIOS screen over and over as if there was a weak link in the chain, so to speak. I've tried taking the laptop to pieces but after all the screws are out it still refuses to separate. The computer is over 10 years old so the CMOS battery could be very very dead.
KJF
Regular

Postby Lizardpoint » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:05 pm

If you aren't seeing the "Acer" flash screen when the laptop starts then I would definitely suspect the CMOS battery.
It is located beneath the keyboard on the lower right corner of the motherboard.
I'd say its worth a CR2032 battery just to prove it.

Cheers

Lizardpoint
Lizardpoint
Regular