You are here

Netbook recording...

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Netbook recording...

Postby KJF » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:11 am

Has anyone tried audio recording on any of the Atom-based netbooks? My recording needs are very very simple: a couple of tracks, a bit of editing and the use of some Wave effects: compression, reverb, EQ. I use Acid 6, Soundforge 8 and the USB interface is a Roland UA25. The portability of something like a Samsung NC 10 is very attractive.

If anyone has had any success please let me know

Thanks...
KJF
Regular

Re: Netbook recording...

Postby tim_obrien » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Several years ago I had a Toshiba NB205 running WinXP that I messed around a little bit with to try to make a 'vacation daw'.
(Until I had to give to my son to replace the one he had in college that died.)

Using asio4all and once I upped it to 2Gb of ram it worked pretty good with a dozen tracks using Reaper.
It was a bit of a dog with the base 1gb of ram.
If the Samsung can't be upgraded with ram that might be a problem.
tim_obrien
Regular

Postby KJF » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:32 am

Cheers for that. I think that's enough to make me want to give it a go. If the recording doesn't work I've still got a light-weight word processor for £100
KJF
Regular

Postby Folderol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Not quite the same thing, but I managed to get an EeePC901 to run the ZynAddSubFX soft-synth with only occasional glitches on the most processor intensive voice patches. I also had a class compliant USB keyboard connected to it at the same time.

I would imagine you'll have no problems with what your proposing.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Save paradise, Pull up a parking lot!

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:56 pm

I had lousy luck recording on a Lenovo S10 netbook. I tried every tweak I could find on the interwebs, but I still never got a reliable recording, it would start recording and for 3 or 4 minutes it would be fine, but every so often I'd get a large spike that would clip.

I was using, as I said, a Lenovo S10 with 1.5 gigs of RAM. This was also running on a single core atom processor (N270). The audio interfaces were a Sound Devices USBPre 2 and an EMU 0404 USB. The OS was Windows XP.

That's all not to say it can't work, just it never did for me.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster