You are here

Internet security on W7 DAW?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Internet security on W7 DAW?

Postby alexis » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi -

I anticipate buying a W7 desktop tower in the next few months for general home use, including internet access. Nowadays I know that many people feel comfortable w/ their DAW on the same computer they access the internet with. I'm wondering if, like XP, a security program (like Norton, etc.) is still recommended? I've heard that the built-in W7 internet security is robust enough that it might make such programs redundant, so I just wanted to get the impressions of the learned SOS user base.

I know theoretically badness shouldn't happen if one sticks to reputable sites, but as I've had Norton alert me of intercepted nastiness on sites just two clicks away from nyt.com, I really don't feel comfortable depending on such a strategy as my main protection.

Thank you!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: Internet security on W7 DAW?

Postby Folderol » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:47 pm

AV can be quite greedy on CPU and disk usage, and at random times you don't expect, so why do you want to put your dau on the net?
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Save paradise, Pull up a parking lot!

Postby alexis » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:07 pm

Folderol wrote:AV can be quite greedy on CPU and disk usage, and at random times you don't expect, so why do you want to put your dau on the net?

Hi Folderol -

Thanks for answering! If I can buy 1 computer instead of two (a general + DAW computer) it would be great.

I thought maybe I could just turn off the AV and disconnect from the internet when doing the DAW thing, so as not to have it suck up resources or interrupt audio recording?

I've also been reading about:

1) Installing a "VM" and running ... I don't know anything about that, I will need to read.
2) Running Microsoft Essentials, "effective", and small footprint.
3) Making sure to not "Run as Administrator".
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby mick.n » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:15 pm

alexis wrote:

I thought maybe I could just turn off the AV and disconnect from the internet when doing the DAW thing, so as not to have it suck up resources or interrupt audio recording?

Thats what i do since i built my Sandybridge I7 desktop. I use Kaspersky internet security (Av & Firewall combined) and its easy to disable for DAW use.
I run a bat file that turns off internet & Kaspersky with one click. ;)
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby The_BPP » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:22 pm

I can confirm Microsoft Security Essentials, is both a small footprint, efficient, unlikely to cause any CPU "spikes", and more importantly, free.

I left mine on the default settings, and forget it's there.
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:10 pm

The_Big_Piano_Player wrote:I can confirm Microsoft Security Essentials, is both a small footprint, efficient, unlikely to cause any CPU "spikes", and more importantly, free.

I left mine on the default settings, and forget it's there.

I agree - MSE is all I'm running nowadays, and I haven't had any internet nasty problems as yet (touch wood! ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby alexis » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Thank you gentlemen.

Any thoughts on running my non-DAW activity as a "Virtual Machine" in W7? Except for the added memory requirements, that seems like the perfect internet security procedure, to this uninformed internet searcher!

Thanks -
alexis
Frequent Poster

Postby alexis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Hello, Good Morning :) , does no-one use the virtual machine function of their DAW PC for purposes such as the above?
alexis
Frequent Poster

Postby VOLOVIA » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:30 am

I might be mad, but on my i5 laptop, running W7 and Cubase 6.5, I leave the internet on all the time, sometimes with Chrome in the background. Yes, I don't record bands or multitrack, but still run songs with 30+ tracks, good plug-ins, and Essentials always on.
After nearly two years, I never experience a drop-out, virus, or glitch... AND I am using ASIO4ALL!
I must be a very lucky boy!
:angel:
VOLOVIA
Regular

VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER Songwriter/guitarist

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:44 am

bugiolacchi wrote:I might be mad, but on my i5 laptop, running W7 and Cubase 6.5, I leave the internet on all the time, sometimes with Chrome in the background. Yes, I don't record bands or multitrack, but still run songs with 30+ tracks, good plug-ins, and Essentials always on.
After nearly two years, I never experience a drop-out, virus, or glitch... AND I am using ASIO4ALL!
I must be a very lucky boy!
:angel:

Me too. I might remember to pull the network plug before a heavy tracking session, but I usually forget :-)

Thank goodness Microsoft have included Security Essentials with Windows 8 as default. It's ridiculous that they didn't years ago. Though it beats me how some people seem prone to catching every malware going.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:27 am

My studio PC is/are always online. I use MSE and it stays switched on. I've never had a problem with this arrangement.

But...

Don't forget that ultimate problem-avoiding strategy: image copy your system drive!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:38 am

MSE did not catch the "Amazon" search virus/trojan I got a few weeks ago but that was on XP Home.

I too run a W7/64 HP laptop and have junked all the Norton crap that came with it and just run MSE.Been fine for 2 years and a W7/64 desktop has been fine for longer. The latter machine was used for ages by my son for music and video work (V small scale) and was probably running Spotify at same time as well!

Good idea tho' to run MSE on the full scan once a month*. You'll be surprised at what it finds.

*But sugar off out or do it overnight!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:14 am

Do note that though MSE is 'built in' to Windows 8, I think you still have to go and ask for it in Windows 7.
Maybe you'll be starting off with Windows 8 anyway? There seem few reasons to go 'retro' now.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.