You are here

MIDI Mapping in Cubase SX3 using Superior 2.0 - I'm lost!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

MIDI Mapping in Cubase SX3 using Superior 2.0 - I'm lost!

Postby Li-rocchi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi guys

Please excuse my newbieness! I'm trying to get my head around using Superior 2.0 in Cubase SX3..... And I'm really quite new to it all.

I wrote all my drum parts ages ago in Guitar Pro 4. I have exported them from there as MIDI files and loaded them into Cubase. I have now opened the drum editor in Cubase, which shows the General MIDI Map. A lot of the sounds have mapped correctly for Superior 2.0, but some have not. Furthermore though, a lot of the "extras" you get with S2.0 which GM does not allow for (all the different types of snare hits, etc etc) are mapped totally incorrectly. For example, the maracas in GM actually plays a snare roll.

I know I could change the word "maracas" for "snare roll", and do this for all the others, but I'm guessing there must be a way of doing this automatically and loading the correct mapped names into Cubase. Am I right and if so how?

Apologies in advance if I have missed something obvious. I've been at it all day and my head is swimming!

Cheers

Max
Li-rocchi
Frequent Poster

Re: MIDI Mapping in Cubase SX3 using Superior 2.0 - I'm lost!

Postby Kwackman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:17 pm

If you go to the toontrack site, there's a user area with downloads.
In there somewhere is a folder with Cubase drum maps for S2 drums.

From memory, you log in, go to downloads and somewhere there's a tab for "Additional (or maybe extra?) downloads".
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby Li-rocchi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Great - thanks. I'll take a look....

And since writing I have found this article which also links to a downloadable map (thanks SOS!):

web page

It's starting to make sense.... I think!

But would I be right in saying then that I'll need different drum maps for different kits and expansion packs? So if I am auditioning different kits for a song in Cubase, it's not just as simple as changing the drum kit in the superior interface..... I also then need to change the MIDI map in the Drum Editor if the kit is different???

Cheers
Li-rocchi
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Li-rocchi wrote:
But would I be right in saying then that I'll need different drum maps for different kits and expansion packs? So if I am auditioning different kits for a song in Cubase, it's not just as simple as changing the drum kit in the superior interface..... I also then need to change the MIDI map in the Drum Editor if the kit is different???
Cheers

I think so, yes, BUT most of the kits have very similar drum maps so you only need to change a few things.
Make sure you save each maps with s sensible name- I didn't at first!

The Drum editor window is the the main reason I still use cubase as it's brilliant! (IMHO YMMV etc)
Very quick to compose drum patterns on.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:29 pm

I would be tempted to remove the map and simply change the notes to point to the correct sound. Drum maps are all well and good, but it can get very confusing when you begin moving between different drum plug-ins.

I rarely use the Drum Editor - to me it is more trouble than it is worth.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.