You are here

People who have moved from Cubase to Reaper (and anyone else with views on either DAW) - your thoughts please....

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

People who have moved from Cubase to Reaper (and anyone else with views on either DAW) - your thoughts please....

Postby Li-rocchi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:27 am

Hi all

I've only really flirted with recording in the past. I have been using Cubase SX3 over the years, but because long periods of time elapse between recordings, I tend to forget a lot of what I learnt. Plus, the recordings I did then were quite basic so there was a lot of Cubase I never looked into.....

I'm now making a start on an album and am hoping this will be the beginning of a full time commitment to recording. To begin with I just thought I would carry on using Cubase SX3 as I already have it and have some familiarity with it from past use. I also have books on how to use it.

But the more I've thought about it the more I've wondered whether it would be a mistake learning and getting into the nitty gritty of a programme which is now very old. This initially led me to consider buying Cubase 7. But now I'm starting to think about going down the Reaper road.....

My mind is far too analytical and questioning to want to learn more than one DAW! These things take me a lot of time... And pain! So I'm planning on choosing one DAW from the off and then sticking with it.

Anyhow.... please excuse me for thinking allowed. What I really meant to ask is whether anyone who made the switch from Cubase to Reaper would be happy to share the story of how the switch went for them. Is it a steep learning curve? Did your previous knowledge of Cubase help or hinder your learning of Reaper? Are there things you missed from Cubase? Conversely, are there things Reaper does that Cubase doesn't and that you would not now want to live without?

And more generally, does anyone have an opinion on which road I should go down?

Kind regards

Max
Li-rocchi
Frequent Poster

Re: People who have moved from Cubase to Reaper (and anyone else with views on either DAW) - your thoughts please....

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:27 am

I use both, but I haven't 'switched'.

I find Cubase much quicker, but familiarity plays a big part in this. There's not much you can do in Cubase that is impossible in Reaper, but it can be a bit of a hunt to find out how. For one example, VariAudio plays a big part in my life, so I'd be lost without that.

This said, I think it's the wrong place to start by considering Reaper as 'an alternative to Cubase with the following missing bits/compromises...'. Rather I would look at it as a completely independent DAW that has its own capabilities. If you're going to be using Reaper while looking over the fence at Cubase you're just making the grass look greener over there.

Put simply, if you want Cubase then use Cubase, if you're prepared to forget about what you may miss from Cubase then try Reaper and see if it fits what you want to do - it's free to try it after all!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: People who have moved from Cubase to Reaper (and anyone else with views on either DAW) - your thoughts please....

Postby johnny h » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:30 am

What is the reason for your switch, is it mainly down to budget? You don't say much about your album. Do you have a record label, a recording budget and is part or all of it based on midi?
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby johnrule » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:14 pm

I was a Cubase user between 1997 and 2010 (VST 5 on Mac to 5.5.3 on Windows) who has switched to Reaper. I simply got tired of the update policy and expense. I also got tired of their lack of responsiveness to bug fixes (and attitude). The things I do miss are the pitch correction and notation, but Reaper does have decent pitch correction to be fair...I use an external notation program (Forte free, Notepad, MuseScore).

The very first thing I noticed was how fast Reaper loads...seconds (literally 3 secs.). Cubase takes 27 seconds on my system, and it is an optimized DAW. If you think that's nothing, try imagining that you are inspired and want to get an idea down immediately - 24 seconds can kill the moment of inspiration imo. Aside from that, it is really just annoying now when I have to go back to maintain an older project.

Next, I noticed that my DAW could handle more plug-ins at low latency; so the immediate added benefit was headroom and no more track freezing (although Reaper has that too). This benefit alone sold me, but there were a few more reasons:

- Built-in VST 32/64 bridge (32 bit plugs-ins work on 64 bit system)
- Themed interface (try White Tie Imperial or even a Cubase skin!)
- No bloatware (who needs GrooveAgent or more synths)
- User support (bugs actually get fixed)

I am thumbing-my-nose at Steinberg or course, but they got quite a bit of $$ from me in the past, so I think I have earned the right to lambaste them a little. Some people consider the learning curve of Reaper to be very high, but I think that depends on how fixated you are with proprietary features of a particular program.

I decoupled myself from specific features during my transition period in 2007 (I tried several programs before settling on Reaper) so I was able to acclimate quickly. Start with the basics and use the very friendly forum.
johnrule
New here

Postby johnny h » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:17 pm

johnrule wrote:I was a Cubase user between 1997 and 2010 (VST 5 on Mac to 5.5.3 on Windows) who has switched to Reaper. I simply got tired of the update policy and expense. I also got tired of their lack of responsiveness to bug fixes (and attitude). The things I do miss are the pitch correction and notation, but Reaper does have decent pitch correction to be fair...I use an external notation program (Forte free, Notepad, MuseScore).

The very first thing I noticed was how fast Reaper loads...seconds (literally 3 secs.). Cubase takes 27 seconds on my system, and it is an optimized DAW. If you think that's nothing, try imagining that you are inspired and want to get an idea down immediately - 24 seconds can kill the moment of inspiration imo. Aside from that, it is really just annoying now when I have to go back to maintain an older project.

Next, I noticed that my DAW could handle more plug-ins at low latency; so the immediate added benefit was headroom and no more track freezing (although Reaper has that too). This benefit alone sold me, but there were a few more reasons:

- Built-in VST 32/64 bridge (32 bit plugs-ins work on 64 bit system)
- Themed interface (try White Tie Imperial or even a Cubase skin!)
- No bloatware (who needs GrooveAgent or more synths)
- User support (bugs actually get fixed)

I am thumbing-my-nose at Steinberg or course, but they got quite a bit of $$ from me in the past, so I think I have earned the right to lambaste them a little. Some people consider the learning curve of Reaper to be very high, but I think that depends on how fixated you are with proprietary features of a particular program.

I decoupled myself from specific features during my transition period in 2007 (I tried several programs before settling on Reaper) so I was able to acclimate quickly. Start with the basics and use the very friendly forum.
First of all I would recommend a SSD drive, they are very cheap and take a lot of the pain out of using computers.

Secondly I would really think about what you are trying to achieve. Steinberg don't care if you thumb your nose at them or not, and enjoyable forums are not what is going to make your album a good one.

If you are here for confirmation that your switch to Reaper is a good one, there's plenty of Reaper zealots here who will no doubt chime in with support. Whether it will help or hinder your album should be the number one priority here, in my opinion.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby tex » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Don't know about Reaper at present but Cubase certainly does supply a working demo of C7 for about a month or so. Reaper used to. I didn't get on with Reaper when I tried it but it certainly has it's talents. I suppose, and it might be improved now, that I just got jaded by continuous updates and reams of fixes and new features which I then had to wade into the updates and into the program to find. Most times I found that not a lot new was happening that wasn't under the hood. Just add that to opinions though as LOTS of people do really like it.
tex
Regular

Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Postby johnrule » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:59 pm

johnny h wrote:First of all I would recommend a SSD drive
I have an SSD, but that is beside the point as Reaper and Cubase are on the same 7200 rpm drive so it is a fair comparison. I have no desire to help Cubase load faster because the problem is already solved by the more efficient Reaper startup time.

johnny h wrote:Secondly I would really think about what you are trying to achieve.
In terms of what I am trying to achieve, I am achieving everything that I want...I didn't express any desire for your advice on how to achieve anything.

johnny h wrote:If you are here for confirmation that your switch to Reaper is a good one...
I wasn't looking for confirmation of anything...the OP was looking for comments from people who have switched, which is exactly what I provided.
johnrule
New here

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:07 pm

If you record music through microphones (or down cables from guitars etc.) and mix in the traditional manner, just about any DAW will do the job very nicely, so you might as well buy the cheapest one.

Cubase has many features of a "music construction set" rather than just an analogue multitrack emulation. Only you can decide if they are useful to you. Ditto for Reaper's features.

Both programs have free trials. So you can spend your time more usefully than looking for answers here!

(As you'll have noticed, opinions get slanted by the perception of Steinberg as evil big business, Cockos as the home-grown good guys. And by reaction against this :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby johnny h » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:01 pm

johnrule wrote:
johnny h wrote:First of all I would recommend a SSD drive

I have an SSD, but that is beside the point as Reaper and Cubase are on the same 7200 rpm drive so it is a fair comparison. I have no desire to help Cubase load faster because the problem is already solved by the more efficient Reaper startup time.

Well you must have an incredibly tiny SSD drive. Cubase uses about 150mb. Its a bizarre idea not to keep your programs on your SSD drive..

johnny h wrote:Secondly I would really think about what you are trying to achieve.

In terms of what I am trying to achieve, I am achieving everything that I want...

Clearly not, because you're strange obsession with program loading times and forums seem to take up an extraordinarily large part of your attention. Still, if thumbing your nose at Steinberg is as important as keeping your little programs off your precious SSD, all I can say is good luck with the album!
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Don't mind Johnny, he gets very sensitive when people prefer Reaper to Cubase. I prefer Reaper to Cubase, and have done for at least 6 years, I guess that makes me a Reaper zealot! Reasons: ease of use, included plugins and flexible routing, responsiveness, fast start up, intuitive (for me), stable, blah blah blah. Try out Reaper, and if you don't like it, try Cubase.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"We live in capitalism, its power seems inescapable: but then, so did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings." - Ursula K. LeGuin

Postby johnny h » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Richard Graham wrote:Don't mind Johnny, he gets very sensitive when people prefer Reaper to Cubase. I prefer Reaper to Cubase, and have done for at least 6 years, I guess that makes me a Reaper zealot! Reasons: ease of use, included plugins and flexible routing, responsiveness, fast start up, intuitive (for me), stable, blah blah blah. Try out Reaper, and if you don't like it, try Cubase.

I'm not sensitive at all if people don't like Cubase or Reaper, I don't use either. But, citing reasons such as a friendly forum and faster start up times (despite having a SSD that is inexplicably not used for programs) is, in my view, rather an odd way of determining which piece of software you will use to create a whole album. The number 1 priority has got to be how it enables you produce the best results.

Typically I've found the people who obsess most about the banal and trivial aspects of music production are those that accomplish the least.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby johnrule » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:45 pm

johnny h wrote:despite having a SSD that is inexplicably not used for programs...

So Reaper would start up in 1 second and Cubase in 15...who is trivial now? As I stated, the difference of a few seconds can short-circuit what I am trying to accomplish. The faster start-up time of Reaper is much appreciated and conducive to greater production imo.

johnny h wrote:Typically I've found the people who obsess most about the banal and trivial aspects of music production are those that accomplish the least.

Getting personal does not prove your point and is the sign of a weak argument.

Richard Graham wrote:Don't mind Johnny, he gets very sensitive when people prefer Reaper to Cubase

Now you tell me
johnrule
New here

Postby OneWorld » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:50 pm

I have been using Cubase since before the flood. But am starting t get fed up of the increasing upgrade costs, it used ot cost £50 to updrade, then it went through the £100 barrier, then £150 - it's clear there's a pattern here. So it won't be long before they crack the £200 level.

So I tried Reaper, a few times and it just didn't do it for me. That being said I do mostly MIDI and lob a few audio tracks on top. In addition to the MIDI editing, there are the Cubase Patchnames, for MIDI hardware, the patchnames really are useful.

If I were on Audio only, I might find Reaper a worthwhile alternative to Cubase, but I simply could fathom the MIDI.

Presonus Studio One seems to be well thought of, haven't tried it myself though
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:03 am

I've used Reaper as my main DAW for quite a while now. I switched from Adobe Audition when they really messed up with version 2. It does just about everything I need apart from a few restoration processes, but I mainly work with audio rather than MIDI these days. The MIDI side has been fine whenever I've tried it.

Reaper has proved far more reliable than the version of Cubase that I bought a few years ago.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:42 am

I own a studio which has ProTools, Radar, Soundscape and we used to also offer Nuendo, CuBase and Audition. I use only Reaper as my personal multitrack editor because -

1. It can sit on a laptop without dongle or difficulty, so I can work anywhere.

2. It is the only DAW I have found that does elastic audio at the touch of a single button and without artefacts or losing transients. That means that even the grottiest drum track takes just a few minutes to quantise and clean up.

3. It comes with hundreds of plug-ins, including autotune, harmonisers and a really good reverb that is a genuine alternative to our 960L (Rea-Verbate, but not Rea-Verb) as well as all the usual amp-sims and ADTs, compressors, gates and the like.

4. It is really easy to use and very, very fast. No idiotic media-pools, no need to define routing or build a mixer before you can hear anything. Just drag-n-drop and hit play! And if you can't find some function, nine-times-out-of-ten, just click on a track, right click and there are all the editing and processing tools you need.

5. The development is taking place at breakneck speed. It now has (version 4.55) very sophisticated MIDI tools, Eucon support is just around the corner and serious A for V tools are in the pipeline.

I must admit that I would never (personally) track in any DAW, not Reaper, not ProTools and not any of the others. It just takes too long, it's too fiddly and there are too many gotchas! They are OK for home recording, but a commercial studio needs to be able to go to song six or project five instantly and not after a ten-second wait (or even longer!) I do that in Radar with pukka hardware, but once the tracks are in the can, it's just Reaper for me.

Other people using our place, use other things - the above is just my personal view!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:13 pm

I second the above. I like the op was using Cubase SX3 for almost ten years but I was so sick of "serious error" crashes, instability I ditched it when I upgraded my XP PC to a Win 7. I have managed to install (just) SX3 on this new machine but it can't run a lot of the new 64 bit software. I decided to give Reaper a try as I didn't want to pay all over again for Cubase 7, with many features I don't want or need.

So far Reaper is all I use. It's excellent and as the above post says has plenty of excellent plugins, good forum, regular updates, customization,fast,STABLE,and very very reasonable cost wise. Oh and did I say Fast ?

My only frustration is not being able to re-master/edit my old album tracks in SX3 as some of the software will not work on this machine. I could painstakingly bring over the tracks into Reaper one day.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Hoopy Frood » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:01 pm

I've recently started using Reason more and more as my main DAW (I used to use it as a big sound module via ReWire), but prior to that I used Cubase, and I tried out Reaper as well, planning to make the switch. THis is from the perspective of someone who doesn't do much (or any) "real" recording - almost everything I do is through VST instruments.

I found that Reaper's handling of VSTi's - especially multi-output VSTi's - was both highly flexible and maddening. In Cubase, it's trivial to set up (say) Kontakt with a separate output for each channel. In Reaper, I found it took huge amounts of faffing. The flip side is that the Reaper approach allows tons more flexibility, so if you're a tweaker, this might be a positive! For me, though, it was all a bit complicated to get working.
Hoopy Frood
Regular
I know where my towel is.

Postby Hoopy Frood » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:20 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:

5. The development is taking place at breakneck speed. It now has (version 4.55) very sophisticated MIDI tools, Eucon support is just around the corner and serious A for V tools are in the pipeline.

Hi Red Bladder, could you expand a bit on the MIDI tools? Have they made it easier to configure multi-output virtual instruments?
Hoopy Frood
Regular

Postby Kev Adams » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Just adding my voice to the 'started on Cubase, switched to Reaper and never looked back' brigade.
(Actually started on Cooledit Pro, but that's another story.)

Can't add anything useful in a deeply technical sense, but so many little details make me so glad I changed. Just losing the need for the dongle for one- I can work on the laptop and the PC and sync between them without hassle. I too had got fed up with the expensive upgrade cycle. Reaper updates smoothly and very frequently at no cost. It's rock solid. The developers care, and look after their community. (The Reaper forum is excellent, and not full of whiny teenagers saying just how much everything 'sucks')

I did miss Cubase at first simply because it was familiar. I even tried to use a Cubase styled theme, then realised that was delusional. I was able to take some time learning Reaper over a long summer spent in bed with a serious illness, as something to take my mind off things rather than under the pressure of having to learn it to move a project forward. I did it by rebuilding some old Cubase projects in Reaper.

At first i missed have a dedicated audio editor, then gradually began to perceive that the bulk of any audio editing can be done in the main Reaper screen.

Found the comping hard to get used to, possibly this was my biggest 'wish it worked like Cubase' feature, but I love it now.

For me, all positives, no negatives. Goodbye Steinberg. Oh, except for my Wavelab for final organisation of CDs. Reaper purports to do this, but I haven't had mmuch success wih that.
Kev Adams
Regular

Retired, hurt Bandcamp

Postby Marbury » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Kev Adams wrote:Just adding my voice to the 'started on Cubase, switched to Reaper and never looked back' brigade.
(Actually started on Cooledit Pro, but that's another story.)

Can't add anything useful in a deeply technical sense, but so many little details make me so glad I changed. Just losing the need for the dongle for one- I can work on the laptop and the PC and sync between them without hassle. I too had got fed up with the expensive upgrade cycle. Reaper updates smoothly and very frequently at no cost. It's rock solid. The developers care, and look after their community. (The Reaper forum is excellent, and not full of whiny teenagers saying just how much everything 'sucks')

I did miss Cubase at first simply because it was familiar. I even tried to use a Cubase styled theme, then realised that was delusional. I was able to take some time learning Reaper over a long summer spent in bed with a serious illness, as something to take my mind off things rather than under the pressure of having to learn it to move a project forward. I did it by rebuilding some old Cubase projects in Reaper.

At first i missed have a dedicated audio editor, then gradually began to perceive that the bulk of any audio editing can be done in the main Reaper screen.

Found the comping hard to get used to, possibly this was my biggest 'wish it worked like Cubase' feature, but I love it now.

For me, all positives, no negatives. Goodbye Steinberg. Oh, except for my Wavelab for final organisation of CDs. Reaper purports to do this, but I haven't had mmuch success wih that.

That's a great story. I feel the same, a bit daunting to get used to when used to Cubase but much more freedom and flexibility. Audio editing is a dream and you know for sure that they are not going to ditch this version for a complete new type leaving no support as Stienberg often do.

I hope you are much better now. Sorry to hear that.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Kev Adams » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Marbury wrote:
Kev Adams wrote:
I was able to take some time learning Reaper over a long summer spent in bed with a serious illness, as something to take my mind off things rather than under the pressure of having to learn it to move a project forward. I did it by rebuilding some old Cubase projects in Reaper.

That's a great story. I feel the same, a bit daunting to get used to when used to Cubase but much more freedom and flexibility. Audio editing is a dream and you know for sure that they are not going to ditch this version for a complete new type leaving no support as Stienberg often do.

I hope you are much better now. Sorry to hear that.

Much better, thanks, though stuck in a wheelchair . Since recovering (from lymphoma) I have produced a CD for a friend, done a demo for my covers band and am in the middle of recording and producing a 'radio ballad' style blend of recorded interview speech and songs, for another band of mine, all with Reaper.

The latter is a complicated project- twelve songs (live vocals and instruments and some VST), some split into segments between speech and running behind speech; incidental music; the interviews themselves; foley; stings etc etc. Basically, a radio documentary, and easy as pie to manage in Reaper. Reaper acts like a cross between Cubase song projects and Wavelab montages.
Kev Adams
Regular

Retired, hurt Bandcamp

Postby OneWorld » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Hoopy Frood wrote:I've recently started using Reason more and more as my main DAW (I used to use it as a big sound module via ReWire), but prior to that I used Cubase, and I tried out Reaper as well, planning to make the switch. THis is from the perspective of someone who doesn't do much (or any) "real" recording - almost everything I do is through VST instruments.

I found that Reaper's handling of VSTi's - especially multi-output VSTi's - was both highly flexible and maddening. In Cubase, it's trivial to set up (say) Kontakt with a separate output for each channel. In Reaper, I found it took huge amounts of faffing. The flip side is that the Reaper approach allows tons more flexibility, so if you're a tweaker, this might be a positive! For me, though, it was all a bit complicated to get working.

Hello Hoopy,

I bought Reason 7, and I would really like to use it more. But no matter what I try, I can't get midi notes to stick/move to the right place when I quantise, I click the quantise button, but the notes just stay where they are, any ideas what this is?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Hoopy Frood » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:55 pm

OneWorld wrote:
Hoopy Frood wrote:I've recently started using Reason more and more as my main DAW (I used to use it as a big sound module via ReWire), but prior to that I used Cubase, and I tried out Reaper as well, planning to make the switch. THis is from the perspective of someone who doesn't do much (or any) "real" recording - almost everything I do is through VST instruments.

Hello Hoopy,

I bought Reason 7, and I would really like to use it more. But no matter what I try, I can't get midi notes to stick/move to the right place when I quantise, I click the quantise button, but the notes just stay where they are, any ideas what this is?

Hi OneWorld,

That's a strange one - my cack-handed keyboard playing means that I quantise a lot, and I've never had a problem. The way I do it is to configure my quantisation settings in the floating tool window (F8 if you're on PC), and then select the sequencer clip containing the notes and press "Q" to quantise. Works fine...

One thing I'll say is that the forum on Propellerheads' website is very friendly, so you may get more informed advice there!

Cheers,

Rich
Hoopy Frood
Regular

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Just seen this, and I love REAPER but however I am thinking of moving the other way to Cubase 7?

I love Reaper and its so flexible, BUT its lack of Area Selection lets it down in the traiditional sense. I am use to Soundforge and love it, however I am on a Mac and yes i have tried OSX SF and Parallels to run SF underneath.

But I would prefer a DAW whereby i can do area selection and precise editing (like Protools)

Does Cubase 7 actually allow you to add fx and process audio / area selection on the timeline instead of opening an editor?
I can't find a demo to try etc?

Thanks
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Postby Hoopy Frood » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Pitchfork wrote:Just seen this, and I love REAPER but however I am thinking of moving the other way to Cubase 7?

I love Reaper and its so flexible, BUT its lack of Area Selection lets it down in the traiditional sense. I am use to Soundforge and love it, however I am on a Mac and yes i have tried OSX SF and Parallels to run SF underneath.

But I would prefer a DAW whereby i can do area selection and precise editing (like Protools)

Does Cubase 7 actually allow you to add fx and process audio / area selection on the timeline instead of opening an editor?
I can't find a demo to try etc?

Thanks

There's a demo of C7, but you need an e-licenser (Steinberg's USB dongle) to use it. The cut-down Cubase Elements 7 can be demoed without a dongle.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/trial.html

Cheers,

Rich
Hoopy Frood
Regular

Postby Marbury » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 am

I tried Cubase 7 but didn't like it.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Imran500 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:18 pm

I'm thinking of jumping ship from Reaper to Cubase 7, mainly because of the bundled plugins but now I'm having second thoughts.

So in terms of the plug-ins offered is Cubase 7 superior in this regard?
Imran500
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Just had a look at the Cubase web page and it looks like you probably get a better selection of VSTi's included. Reaper comes with a basic synth and sample player but not much else as far as I know.

However, Steinberg are proudly trumpeting their 32 bit floating point mix engine...

Hmmm, as I understand it, 32 bits isn't really enough for audio work and Reaper uses 64 bits for its calculations. Is this a mess up by the marketing department I wonder?
James Perrett

Postby johnny h » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:04 pm

James Perrett wrote:Just had a look at the Cubase web page and it looks like you probably get a better selection of VSTi's included. Reaper comes with a basic synth and sample player but not much else as far as I know.

However, Steinberg are proudly trumpeting their 32 bit floating point mix engine...

Hmmm, as I understand it, 32 bits isn't really enough for audio work and Reaper uses 64 bits for its calculations. Is this a mess up by the marketing department I wonder?
Careful, you are getting into audiophile territory here. The noise floor on a 32 bit system is already way below the limits of human hearing.

I'd be careful to choose a DAW which works for you in the most creative way. Specifications aren't that important anymore. Personally I don't use Cubase or Reaper because I make electronic music, and Ableton Live is streets ahead of any other DAW for what I need.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:00 pm

johnny h wrote:
Careful, you are getting into audiophile territory here. The noise floor on a 32 bit system is already way below the limits of human hearing.

I'm talking about internal intermediate calculations here - not the external interface where, as you say, 32 bits are more than enough. As I understand it, with the many repeated multiplications that are needed for some audio processes, you can start to reach the limits of 32 bit processing fairly easily so most modern systems use 64 bits internally. Even the old fixed point Protools had 56 bit internal registers.
James Perrett

Next