You are here

Upgrading XP -> W7

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Upgrading XP -> W7

Postby Ruaridh » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:18 am

Is "upgrading" from XP to W7 actually more like *buying* W7 and doing a clean install?

R.
Ruaridh
Regular
Ruaridh (Pronounced "Rory").
Cubase 5.5 Guitars & Beer.

Re: Upgrading XP -> W7

Postby semajjames » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:10 am

Yes i would do a fresh install and don't forget to make sure you can get win7 64 bit drivers for any sound cards ect
semajjames
Poster

Postby Scramble » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:16 am

Yes, you can't 'upgrade' your existing install with W7, you have to start again.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:14 pm

...but in the long term this clean install is likely to give you a more stable and reliable PC

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Boogiemen » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Just to be 100% clear, the Xp --> W7 path is NOT an upgrade. All the automated upgrade does is backup personal data, then wipes the XP operating system and all apps, then installs Windows 7. Nothing from XP or your previously installed apps will remain after the "upgrade". So to echo what was said, there is no upgrade from XP-->W7. It's simply marketing speak for Microsoft so people aren't scared off. I know of a few people who did the upgrade never reading any of the finer points/prints and were burned when they found out only their personal files were saved.

If someone was to migrate (better term for this process) from XP-->W7, I would recommend using the migration utility. It does a good job backing up some smaller items you may overlook.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/feature...

So you basically download this tool, run it on your XP (or Vista) install, then wipe the drive, install 7, then use the same utility (built-in with Windows 7) to import that data into your new install.
The Boogiemen
Regular

Postby Indigo2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:54 pm

You can upgrade from XP to Windows 7, but I would recomend a clean install.
Here are the directions for upgrading: http://www.emulators.com/xp_to_win7.htm
Indigo2
New here

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:07 am

I had no problems using the MS easy transfer utility. I'd backed everything up but it seemed like a safety net anyway. I think it created a separate XP folder that I deleted a few months later when I was certain nothing important had been missed.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

What's a park if you can't see a linnet? A time-table if your journey's infinte?