I'm planning on sticking it all in my existing Antec Sonata case as that still has all its sound proofing fitted and at some point along the line had a bigger PSU fitted, so I need a new ATX motherboard to put into it.
The main needs I've identified for a replacement are:
- SATA3 connectors - at least 4, preferably more
- 10/100/100 NIC - I have a QNAP NAS I want to be able to back up to
- i7 CPU - don't know which one, but I'm not going to be overclocking or doing anything on it other than DAW activities
- RAID capability - primarily for local sample storage, as I have a 240Gb SSD in the cupboard which I'll use for the O/S & applications
- USB inputs - as many as possible
I'm not really running huge track counts (20-30 at most), but I do like running things like Kontakt, Reaktor, Battery and Maschine. My Audio interface is a USB Focusrite Scarlett 18i6
From what I've looked at so far, it would seem that something like the Asus Z87-PRO would happily meet my needs, but I'm curious about what else out there might be worth considering.