You are here

Can my computer be upgraded to Window 7 64 bit?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Can my computer be upgraded to Window 7 64 bit?

Postby R_A » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:37 am

Hi,

I currently run Windows XP. Can my computer be upgraded to Window 7 64bit or would Windows 7 32bit be the sensible choice? My current computer spec can be seen by clicking the image below:

If the computer can be upgraded to a 64 bit operating system, how much RAM could I add? If someone can send me a link to an online shop in the UK with the correct RAM to buy, it would be very helpful.

I use an MBox2 as my USB soundcard and the latest version of Reaper as my DAW. If the upgrade to a 64bit operating system is possible I would like to run Cubase 7.5.

Thank you :)
R_A
Regular

Ambient / Classical Composer

Re: Can my computer be upgraded to Window 7 64 bit?

Postby Scramble » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:06 pm

It can be upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit. No real reason to stay with 32-bit.

You can add as much RAM as the motherboard will take (16Gb according to quick Google search). Ask scan.co.uk about this.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby R_A » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Scramble wrote:You can add as much RAM as the motherboard will take (16Gb according to quick Google search). Ask scan.co.uk about this.

Thanks for your help. I currently have 2 x 2Gb of RAM. From what I gather there are 4 RAM slots on my motherboard, is that correct?

I feel about 10Gb of RAM would be more than enough for my modest needs. Can anyone link me to the correct RAM on Scan's website (or anywhere else if Scan do not hold the stock) for 2 x 4Gb of RAM for my Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H55M-UD2H motherboard?
R_A
Regular

Postby R_A » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:55 pm

R_A wrote:Can anyone link me to the correct RAM on Scan's website (or anywhere else if Scan do not hold the stock) for 2 x 4Gb of RAM for my Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H55M-UD2H motherboard?

It's okay I've sorted this now.
R_A
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi, glad you're sorted, but for future reference the easiest way to source appropriate RAM is to visit one of the RAM manufacturer's web sites and enter your motherboard details into their 'wizard'.

They try to make it as easy s possible so you buy their products ;)

Once armed with suitable part numbers, just enter those into Google to see who has them in stock local to you.

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode