You are here

Mouse has slowed down, jerky movements

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Mouse has slowed down, jerky movements

Postby Marbury » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:54 pm

I have a year old Windows 7 PC with 8 gb ram. Suddenly the mouse movements are jerky and slower with mouse clicks delayed, needing 2 clicks to have any effect.

I looked in task manager and the only thing running at 95% was system idle.

Any idea what this could be ? I have scanned with Mailware bytes and nothing has flagged up.

Tried a system restore to an earlier point and it told me after the process that it had failed to restore, even though there was an earlier point.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Re: Mouse has slowed down, jerky movements

Postby Gerhard Westphalen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:02 pm

This happened to me a couple of months ago. It thought it might be the battery in my wireless mouse but it wasn't so I swap mouses with my other computer so now I'm using a cheap wired Microsoft mouse and the issue stopped. I haven't tried using the wireless mouse on this computer ever since since the cable hasn't bothered me.
Gerhard Westphalen
Regular

Postby Urumiko » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:02 pm

Dunno if its a problem similar to one i've had before where my mouse was sticking coupled with sound dropouts despite low system load. It turned out after a system crash windows had defaulted something to legacy mode. I think every time my hard drive was accessed it would happen.

I'm failing to find a description of this issue on google but i think it presented itself in device manager Either Computer>ACPI , or IDE/ATA controllers I think.

I fixed the issue by uninstalling the relevant device then rebooting and allowing it to re-install.
Urumiko
New here

Postby Urumiko » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Gerhard Westphalen wrote:This happened to me a couple of months ago. It thought it might be the battery in my wireless mouse but it wasn't so I swap mouses with my other computer so now I'm using a cheap wired Microsoft mouse and the issue stopped. I haven't tried using the wireless mouse on this computer ever since since the cable hasn't bothered me.

Good point. Are you using a wireless mouse?
Urumiko
New here

Postby Marbury » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:27 am

Yes, it's a wireless mouse but if the batteries are running out it just stops altogether. I tried a system restore which failed but for now it has stopped since that.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Russell B » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:50 am

This has happened to me a few times & I discovered it was my mobile phone that was too close to the wireless receiver for the mouse.

Cheers
Russell B
Regular

Postby feline1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:56 am

yeah if there's other wireless things on the same frequency (2.4GHz?) in the same room it can cause confusionisms.
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Gerhard Westphalen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Urumiko wrote:Dunno if its a problem similar to one i've had before where my mouse was sticking coupled with sound dropouts despite low system load. It turned out after a system crash windows had defaulted something to legacy mode. I think every time my hard drive was accessed it would happen.

I'm failing to find a description of this issue on google but i think it presented itself in device manager Either Computer>ACPI , or IDE/ATA controllers I think.

I fixed the issue by uninstalling the relevant device then rebooting and allowing it to re-install.

I've also had the issue of the mouse freezing and getting a dropout with the asio usage meter in Cubase peaking despite a low system resources use but I believe this problem was seperate to just the mouse issue. For this issue I believe it was my interface drivers causing system interrupts which were peaking my processors. Restarting everything seemed to stop the issue. It was a reoccurring issue which I'm not sure how I stopped it but now it doesn't happen. Maybe it was some kind of update that I did(?).
Gerhard Westphalen
Regular