You are here

Best powerline network extender

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Best powerline network extender

Postby RegressiveRock » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:03 pm

It turns out that the downside of the thick walls and ceilings I chose my new residence for is that wi-fi can barely make it from room to room. Sound isolation has it drawbacks!!!

I am thinking that it might be best to use powerline extenders to ensure the continuity of wired network and wi-fi around the premises as retrofitting cat 5 cable around the house is going to make quite a mess and it took the aeriel engineer half an hour to drill through one wall to get the TV into the house!!!

Ideally I want an encrypting base station and three Mains passthru wifi outlets at least one of which will permit a significant degree of hardwiring for the TV / media areas of the room.

Any recommendations?

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster

Re: Best powerline network extender

Postby MonkeySpank » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:40 am

Funny enough, I bought a pair of these last week because my sodding wifi trickles to a halt just where my laptop lives.

TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

They're great! Really good value for money, too. And you can add more around the house as and when you need them.

Plug one in, plug the other in, network cable to your PC. Job done.
MonkeySpank
Regular

Spanky

Postby ezza » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 am

Be aware that the ethernet port on these is 100 Mbs so you won't get the full speed possible on a single device.

This is fine if you have many computers on your network as the 500 Mbs is shared amongst all the devices but may be limiting if you only have 2 computers. If your Internet connection is slower than the port or if you want fast file transfer between to PCs or HD streaming it might be a problem..

Great price though and worth it if you don't need that higher bandwidth.
ezza
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:36 pm

The Homeplug alliance has the widest choice of powerline adaptors out there. There appears to be no problems interworking Homeplug kit from different makers and it all tends to just work. I've used a fair bit of Solwise Homeplug kit over the years and it has always worked well without problem, though sometimes the documentation appeared to have been written by someone (as Linda Smith once said) for whom language wasn't their first language.

I should just look round Amazon for Homeplug kit that has the right specs for what you want.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio  

Postby chris... » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:50 am

ezza wrote:Be aware that the ethernet port on these is 100 Mbs so you won't get the full speed possible on a single device.
In reality, the powerline stuff works at a fraction of the claimed speed. The exact speed depends on many things, including the wiring in your house. With 500M adaptors I suspect most people would get less than 100M.

( so the 100M ethernet port is just fine )
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby mooblie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:17 pm

I have used a lot of Devolos (in other people homes) - I recommend them. Not the cheapest, but they seem to perform well.

Devolo on Amazon
mooblie
Regular

Martin at HeadSpin

Postby John Reid » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 pm

+1 for Devolo, but regardless of the advertised speed, a 100Mb/s ethernet port can be the bottleneck. I do manage about 10Mbyte/s through dLAN 500 AVplus's, though!
John Reid
Regular

Postby The Boogiemen » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:57 am

ezza wrote:... or HD streaming it might be a problem...

HD streaming does not require anything near a 100Mb connection.

[typically 2-5Mb depending on compression used, video resolution, and audio quality/channels]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video#HD_on_the...
The Boogiemen
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:15 am

+1 on this. You'd have to be moving horrendous amounts of data for the 100Mb port to be a problem, or the speed of the powerline connection itself. And I don't think there's much to choose between any of the Homeplug makers. They're all pretty decent. I suspect they're probably all using much the same chipsets.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio  

Postby ezza » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:23 pm

100 mbps is not necessarily a problem for sure. Depends on your use cases. Web browsing email, youtube in three seperate places would be fine.

You can get up 200 mbps with 500AV powerline and 50 mbps 'real world' throughput on the ethernet ports. If you're regularly shifting large files around your network then the extra throughput of gigabit ethernet would be handy.

I guess I'm a bit OCD and need to know that I can get the max possible even if I don't need it!

/e
ezza
Regular

Postby The Boogiemen » Thu May 08, 2014 1:13 pm

ezza wrote:I guess I'm a bit OCD and need to know that I can get the max possible even if I don't need it!

/e

No, that means you're wealthy since you just throw money at things even when it's not needed.
The Boogiemen
Regular

Postby ezza » Thu May 08, 2014 2:59 pm

The Boogiemen wrote:
ezza wrote:I guess I'm a bit OCD and need to know that I can get the max possible even if I don't need it!

/e

No, that means you're wealthy since you just throw money at things even when it's not needed.

Ok. I could afford the extra 20 euros! Happy to know that puts me in the wealthy class

Seriously though. Maybe this is not relevant to the OP but it's something to look out for if you want to use the 150 - 200 mbit/s these devices can do to move large files around your network. They don't highlight this on the box.
ezza
Regular

Postby The Boogiemen » Thu May 08, 2014 4:03 pm

ezza wrote:
The Boogiemen wrote:

/e

Ok. I could afford the extra 20 euros! Happy to know that puts me in the wealthy class

You're welcome.

You have 20 euros I can borrow?
The Boogiemen
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu May 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Humph!
I don't like them. Buy a big drill.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#