You are here

Looking for a 2 or 3 octave Keyboard controller with built in audio interface.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Looking for a 2 or 3 octave Keyboard controller with built in audio interface.

Postby Agharta » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Due to lack of space and USB ports I’m looking at buying a 2 or 3 octave USB Keyboard controller with a built in audio interface. The audio interface is just for playback so it doesn’t need to have loads of features. I can live with 48k/16 bit. I’d like to see 8 rotary controls and 8 buttons at least also.
So far I’ve seen two Behringers; UMX250 & UMA25S so any other options that aren’t high end?
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for a 2 or 3 octave Keyboard controller with built in audio interface.

Postby dashdash » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:48 pm

The action on the UMA25S is very weird, so I'd suggest trying it out first if you want that option. It's not weighted but has a certain resistance to the keys that people I've come across find strange. I've got used to it—it's not easy to get a velocity of 127 out of it without hammering the keys though. For that reason I don't really use mine for any proper sequencing as it's simply not straightforward enough to use without having to edit quite a bit afterwards.

It's certainly handy for programming stuff (I use mine in Max/MSP), but I've not used it for the audio interface so can't comment there.

It's also got strap buckles so you can do the whole keytar thing if that floats your boat...
dashdash
New here

Re: Looking for a 2 or 3 octave Keyboard controller with built in audio interface.

Postby Chevytraveller » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:41 pm

I have a couple of Novation X-Stations which I use live.. very cool machines and built-in synth..
I picked up my last 61 note for £120 off Gumtree but they are also available in 25 and 49 key models

there really isn't much else out there unfortunately..

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby VOLOVIA » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Dash, more than weird I would say rubbish and inconsistent (UMA25S), with very uneven levels.
Having said that... I was shocked by what £70 or less buys you:

a full stereo interface with direct blend knob, MIDI ports, controllers, two pedal ports, battery operated, two octave keyboard, a strap, a decent soft case, no bad quality (very loud!) headphones WITH mic, a strap, USB lead, and software. Amazing!

Again, unfortunately the only weak point is the keyboard action, but if you don't record romantic piano sonatas, it might do!
VOLOVIA
Regular

VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER

Songwriter/guitarist