You are here

Seagate HDD Failure

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Seagate HDD Failure

Postby scw » Mon May 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Just a heads up to fellow forumites who have Seagate drives. I strongly recommend checking the Seagate site for firmware updates and a reminder to all to back everything up.

I was unaware of the longstanding problems affecting Seagate Barracuda, 7200.11 and several other models until too late. My drive failed. I had most stuff backed up so the data loss was not catastrophic.

I eventually found that there are a number of issues with some HDD models which result in drive failure. In my case the bricked drive was due to the "0 LBA" failure - the drive showed up in the BIOS but read 0 bytes. There is another failure known as the "BSY state" failure. My understanding is that both these issues are due to a screwup in the firmware.

To cut a long story short, I managed to recover everything after chopping up a Nokia cable, resetting the firmware using windows Hyperterminal and many hours of pulling out my hair.

I checked my other drives and found a couple of Seagate drives that had outstanding firmware updates available. Forewarned etc... ;)

I have since changed my RAID backup drives to Western Digital Reds.
scw
Regular

Re: Seagate HDD Failure

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon May 08, 2017 10:34 pm

My current Seagate seems to have run forever, so I presume it's only certain models affected. However, having suffered the Hitachi 'click of death' on another drive after 6 months, I feel for you. I'm glad you managed to restore your data at least.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Teeth will be provided

Postby scw » Mon May 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Cheers Mike.

I'm sure it is certain drives that are affected. You can check your drive here:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/e ... Q/207931en

My Barracuda that failed was about 4 years old. It is back up and running after the fix but everything is backed up off it and its no longer being used for new data storage.

Stewart
scw
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue May 09, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks Stew'

I have a at least one Seagate drive that I know of in a USB 3.0 caddy and it holds an image of one of my PCs!

I shall check that link forthwith!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 am

The old adage says that data doesn't exist until it is backed up in at least 3 different places.

I'm sure I mentioned the issues with certain Seagate drives used in RAID servers around a couple of years ago - they were originally on the QNAP approved list but suddenly dropped off after giving many problems. I would suggest that you stop using that drive in your RAID system as it will continue to give problems - even with the new firmware.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby scw » Tue May 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Cheers Dave - hope your drive is fine.

My Seagate drive has been relegated James. I've changed to Western Digital for my RAID system. Fingers crossed :tongue:
scw
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 10, 2017 4:14 pm

All my current hard drives are Western Digital, and (touch wood) none of them have failed as yet :beamup:

Hope writing that didn't tempt providence too much ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby scw » Wed May 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Martin Walker wrote:All my current hard drives are Western Digital, and (touch wood) none of them have failed as yet :beamup:

Martin

Yikes!!! :shock:
scw
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 11, 2017 12:38 pm

scw wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:All my current hard drives are Western Digital, and (touch wood) none of them have failed as yet :beamup:

Martin

Yikes!!! :shock:

Now quoting me and putting those words in print for a 2nd time might just tip things over the edge scw :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri May 12, 2017 11:12 am

Well it's three times at this point...

Watch over your shoulder, I fear you may have summoned the ghost of HGST!
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Martin Walker » Fri May 12, 2017 3:35 pm

:cry: :o :? :silent: :wtf: :shifty: :shock:

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :shh:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue May 16, 2017 8:38 am

Afraid? You should be!

Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby scw » Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm

Well that was a blast from the past Pete!
That was a good bit of software in its time. :thumbup:
scw
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed May 17, 2017 8:51 am

That moment you realise that you're the only person still left using a particular bit of software... :beamup:
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 pm

...is invariably the same moment you realise that like so much other software, it still works perfectly well, but changing your Windows version has prevented it doing its thing properly.

Oh, and I must remember to throw out all my emergency floppy disks, as none of my PCs now have a 3.5-inch floppy drive :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed May 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Oh, and I must remember to throw out all my emergency floppy disks, as none of my PCs now have a 3.5-inch floppy drive :headbang:
Martin

Don't be too hasty, a USB floppy drive is under a tenner on Amazon. But then I still have cassette dumps for my MMT8 & games for my Mattel Aquarius (expanded to 20K RAM) in the attic.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Teeth will be provided

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu May 18, 2017 9:03 am

Martin Walker wrote:...is invariably the same moment you realise that like so much other software, it still works perfectly well, but changing your Windows version has prevented it doing its thing properly.

It's why we still appreciate a good Dos boot loader.

And no Martin, you can't throw those floppy disks out. What else you going use with that sampler stashed under the stairs when the Zip drive in the attic finally carks it?
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:And no Martin, you can't throw those floppy disks out. What else you going use with that sampler stashed under the stairs when the Zip drive in the attic finally carks it?

Ah, but I sold my Akai sampler stashed under the stairs a few years ago - they are quite saleable.

No ZIp drive in the attic, but I do however still have a 270Mb Syquest drive in a cupboard that I used to use with my sampler and haven't managed to sell, if anyone's interested ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri May 19, 2017 9:10 am

Martin Walker wrote:Ah, but I sold my Akai sampler stashed under the stairs a few years ago - they are quite saleable.

No ZIp drive in the attic, but I do however still have a 270Mb Syquest drive in a cupboard that I used to use with my sampler and haven't managed to sell, if anyone's interested ;)

I'll stick with my pile of dusty zip drives, ta :) I did look a few years back and samplers were going for buttons at the time so at this point I still have various models cluttering up the place, might be time to take another shot at a clear out if some value has returned.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster