You are here

Audio dropouts during recording/playback

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Audio dropouts during recording/playback

Postby Herpaderp1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:05 pm

I keep getting audio droputs in Cubase when trying to record, also during playback, and it usually occurs within the first 30 secs - 2 mins, and never later than 5 – 7 mins without a dropout. ASIO time usage meter looks fine than indicates a quick random spike hence dropouts.
It maybe began sometime in the last 4 – 6 months and I worked around it/ignored it, but now I’m working on something where it’s essential there are no dropouts during recording/playback at all.

The track itself has very few plugins enabled (delay and amp simulator, one guitar track), and it ran fine last summer, along with several larger projects with more plugins enabled.

Have run latencymon several times and seems to vary in response (sometimes claims it is fine, other times claims execution times are too high – even though problem is consistently there). Audio card is always set to lowest latency, but even when tried it with higher latencies still got problem.

I’ve checked audio interface drivers are up to date, also graphics display and network adapter, and I’ve made sure power options are set to best performance, and have tried running program with internet/adapters and antivirus disabled, but the problem still persists.

Specs:

Windows 10 64bit
Novatech PC
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-core Processor 3.50 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
System: 64-bit, x64 processor
Disk: 128Gb SSD drive (system), and 2Tb hard drive
500w power supply

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Audio Interface/Soundcard: TASCAM US-1641
Cubase 5 Studio

Have spent a while tinkering with a few things and am inclined to think it’s something interrupting or bottlenecking the disk processes (that developed in the last 4 – 6 months), but I don’t know how to isolate the problem or what to do next, and am reluctant to move onto more significant actions and potentially cause more damage until I’m clearer about what the problem is (i.e. reinstalling windows, deleting all restore points to free up room on the SSD, reinstalling Cubase on the 2Tb drive, messing around with the BIOS/registry, buying new software/hardware etc.)

If anyone has any advice or solutions for this then I’ll be eternally grateful as I’m pretty stumped now and going crazy trying to figure it out!

Many thanks
Herpaderp1
Poster

Re: Audio dropouts during recording/playback

Postby mashedmitten » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:23 pm

First, make sure the correct ASIO driver is selected in Cubase. Could be that simple.

Auto-save might be another culprit, I ALWAYS disable it.

What's the buffer?

Sounds like a desktop, but still check power settings for all hardware and make sure nothing's shutting down.

Also, in BIOS, make sure throttling or stepping isn't enabled for the CPU.

Report back.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby Herpaderp1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:32 pm

Cheers for replying!

Correct ASIO driver is set in Cubase, and disabled autosave but didn't work. The buffer size is 2048 (samples) and set to 10 milliseconds ('small' setting)

Have double-checked all the power settings and hardware power management, found a few things that needed disabling, though none that seem to have solved the problem.

I'm not sure how to change those settings in BIOS, and online guides seem to vary in how to do this, is there a specific way that you'd recommend for this?

Thanks
Herpaderp1
Poster

Postby mashedmitten » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Trouble getting to BIOS or the setting?

Setting should be under CPU.

Herpaderp1 wrote:The buffer size is 2048 (samples) and set to 10 milliseconds ('small' setting)

This is throwing me. My buffer for 10ms is 256 or 512.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby Herpaderp1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:10 pm

I think both sorry, are you able to link a recommended guide to doing this?

Also had a look around for other buffer readouts but couldn't see any for that kind of range, where do you get your buffer reading from? I got mine from ASIO Direct Sound Full Duplex Setup under the steinberg programs in start menu, it says Bits per Sample is 16 too if that helps

Thanks
Herpaderp1
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:21 pm

Herpaderp1 wrote:If anyone has any advice or solutions for this then I’ll be eternally grateful as I’m pretty stumped now and going crazy trying to figure it out!

Many thanks

There are a few things that can cause this issue to appear, but if the system used to work alright, it's always possible to get it back to speed.

As mashed says, it can be something obvious and usually is.. only it's obvious only after you've found it! :) You've already checked the DAW and the power setting so you're fine by that. Check also the C-States in you BIOS and CPU throttling.

What next? Dropouts are always due to peaks in CPU or disk activity - usually due to some task or process kicking in; or interrupts - something interrupting the CPU and forcing it to either switch process or more often simply "stop the world" until the processing of the interruption is done.

Make sure there's plenty space on the disk. If it's not an SSD, defragment to ensure maximum speed in read/write. Check for errors of course.

For interrupts, the culprits are most often built-in network cards, graphics card or other hardware. Easy to try is to switch the radios off when recording, or disable the network interface in Device Manager. The graphics card is unlikely to be an issue in your case since the pc used to work fine, unless the drivers have been updated. If you have problematic devices in DM, disable/remove them, and check for duplicate entries (you have to enable DM to show all entries, google it).

For Tasks, you can check the task scheduler; for processes, check what's running at start - typical culprits are "calling home" small processes that check for updates. Again disabling the radios usually makes them fail quickly with out creating problems, but if you are near using all your physical memory and they start, they still need to be loaded in RAM (only for then be told by the O/S that there's no network and therefore exit immediately) and some other page needs to saved to disk, so better remove/disable them altogether.

Very often you do all this and nothing changes. Then the most likely culprit is some driver which is malfunctioning for some reason. If you download and install Process Explorer (from Microsoft's SysInternals site, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... lorer.aspx), you can see if your DPC (deferred procedure calls) are high. Usually there's a service/process which has unusually high CPU activity. You note the name, then you go in the event viewer, enable "Applications and Service Logs" and find the entry for that service (often it's stuff like the WMI Provider Host as the drivers' instrumentation is tricky to implement properly). You find error events, and the event tells you which process is constantly failing.. which you then disable/remove. That usually fixes it.

How to do concretely all of the above, you google it - but of course ask if you're stuck someplace. The sysinternals utilities are invaluable in general for getting information about all that is going on in the system but of course you need an idea on what to check in the first place, hence the text above. :)
CS70
Frequent Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby mashedmitten » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:52 pm

CS70 wrote:Dropouts are always due to peaks in CPU or disk activity

Not always, ASIO throughput differs from CPU overloads and can be the cause also.

You bring up some good points, though.

First, Performance Monitor open while running Cubase and looking for the process peak that coincides with the dropouts might help sort it.

Another thing is trying to do too many things from one HDD/SSD could cause the issues. If you're running Cubase, reading it's files and streaming samples from the same disk all in addition to OS tasks ther are bound to be timing conflicts. I run a minimum of two drives, one for OS and Programs and another for data and projects. Were I streaming samples ther would be a third, SSD most likely.

The OP really needs to find if Stepping/ Throttling are disabled also, like we've said.

ASIO Guard is another thing that can cause issues for some if enabled. Seems system specific, but enough have reported issues for something to indeed be up with it.

3rd party plugs can also conflict with Cubase both due to being hogs and just not playing nice. This has also been reported.

OP should make a small project with just Cubase plugs to both see if it's 3rd party induced of just to post a link to so we can try it on different systems.

A list of plugs used in problem projects might help, might make a light bulb light for someone reading this.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

Postby CS70 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:57 pm

mashedmitten wrote:

Not always, ASIO throughput differs from CPU overloads and can be the cause also.

Not sure I understand what you mean. There's no such thing as an "ASIO throughput" different than the host throughput.

An ASIO channel ultimately is a simple circular double buffer of data (just like the buffers used to render images, for example) where the hardware and the host can write to and read from. It's that simplicity that makes it fast: once initialized, there's very little that can go wrong or limit throughput, other than the capacity of the hardware and the host (i.e.the PC's CPU and memory access subsystem) to read, process and write data (via either shared memory or DMA, as the hardware prefers) on demand.

bufferSwitchTimeInfo() is the callback for processing. Since the hardware is by definition sized to handle the I/O load from the interface's A/D (it would be idiotic otherwise), the only variable left is the host's capacity to process the buffer, nothing else. (obviously the driver could be written in a terrible manner, but it's generally not in a commercial interface, and the OP stated it was once working fine).

The minimum ASIO latencies (i.e. best performance) are constant and depend mostly on the hardware, and a little on how the driver code is written (but with a half-decent software engineer there's really not that much that can go wrong on the basic functionality - it's the ancillary stuff that is more error-prone).

The concrete, actual performance when deployed in a host system depends essentially only on the host and its realtime characteristics (on a Windows PC, assuming capable hardware, mostly it's the stuff I pointed out above).
CS70
Frequent Poster

Postby mashedmitten » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:23 pm

CS70 wrote:Not sure I understand what you mean. There's no such thing as an "ASIO throughput" different than the host throughput.

All I mean is that ASIO performance is separate from CPU performance. An ASIO overload doesn't mean the CPU overloads too. It can happen in certain cases, but one isn't dependent on the other. With ASIO, there are many clocks that must be in sync and limited jitter, in addition to system hardware, so there aren't buffer filling issues. This can be before anything hits the CPU or memory or the like.

A computer killer at gaming or video work could be shite for audio, only change is use and peripherals and how they interact with each other and the system.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

Postby CS70 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:44 pm

mashedmitten wrote:
CS70 wrote:Not sure I understand what you mean. There's no such thing as an "ASIO throughput" different than the host throughput.

All I mean is that ASIO performance is separate from CPU performance. An ASIO overload doesn't mean the CPU overloads too. It can happen in certain cases, but one isn't dependent on the other. With ASIO, there are many clocks that must be in sync and limited jitter, in addition to system hardware, so there aren't buffer filling issues. This can be before anything hits the CPU or memory or the like.

Er.. but that's what Asio is not. There's not many clocks! There's simply a double buffer per channel. Hardware reads and writes, host (driver) reads and writes. Since we can assume the hardware is sized correctly and the DAW coded properly, the ceiling is _always_ in the host machine speed in writing and reading channels, which must allow them to be filled or consumed before the next call.
ASIO is neither esoteric or difficult, on the contrary it's made to be as straightforward as possible.

In Windows, bufferSwitch is called within its own thread, which usually is set up as high priority and is called by kernel event notification or asynchronous procedure call (i.e. via interrupt). Just write your own ASIO driver to see.

From all that it follows that the speed is directly dependent on how often the CPU is interrupted and the amount of context switches, which is what I recommended to look after. There's no other hocus pokus.

A computer killer at gaming or video work could be shite for audio, only change is use and peripherals and how they interact with each other and the system.

Sometimes, but that's nothing to do with ASIO. The main difference for gaming is that a lot of the data processing happens outside the CPU, in the graphics card. The card does the calculations and presents the complete result to the CPU. Same for video (IF the video host application and effects makes use of that, which is a relatively big IF. Games are usually more demanding and better optimized and overall bloody harder to code than a ASIO driver). The GPU does not get interrupted if say the network card driver wakes up or some other application requires loading in core memory.

On a regular PC, there's no device other than CPU to process the audio on the host side. An audio interface doesn't do DSP on behalf of the CPU, not in the same sense that a graphic card does processing on its behalf. Hence CPU peaks and CPU interrupts are more critical for audio processing. Especially CPU interrupts - since they often stop the world (the "CPU" world, that is) so everything else has to wait for the interrupt to be handled; whereas a graphic card is usually unaffected.

That said, a killer gaming or video pc is very likely to work pretty well with audio tough, since usually it's designed with components which _don't_ interrupt much.
CS70
Frequent Poster

Postby Herpaderp1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:29 pm

CS70 wrote:
Herpaderp1 wrote:If anyone has any advice or solutions for this then I’ll be eternally grateful as I’m pretty stumped now and going crazy trying to figure it out!

Many thanks

There are a few things that can cause this issue to appear, but if the system used to work alright, it's always possible to get it back to speed.

As mashed says, it can be something obvious and usually is.. only it's obvious only after you've found it! :) You've already checked the DAW and the power setting so you're fine by that. Check also the C-States in you BIOS and CPU throttling.

What next? Dropouts are always due to peaks in CPU or disk activity - usually due to some task or process kicking in; or interrupts - something interrupting the CPU and forcing it to either switch process or more often simply "stop the world" until the processing of the interruption is done.

Make sure there's plenty space on the disk. If it's not an SSD, defragment to ensure maximum speed in read/write. Check for errors of course.

For interrupts, the culprits are most often built-in network cards, graphics card or other hardware. Easy to try is to switch the radios off when recording, or disable the network interface in Device Manager. The graphics card is unlikely to be an issue in your case since the pc used to work fine, unless the drivers have been updated. If you have problematic devices in DM, disable/remove them, and check for duplicate entries (you have to enable DM to show all entries, google it).

For Tasks, you can check the task scheduler; for processes, check what's running at start - typical culprits are "calling home" small processes that check for updates. Again disabling the radios usually makes them fail quickly with out creating problems, but if you are near using all your physical memory and they start, they still need to be loaded in RAM (only for then be told by the O/S that there's no network and therefore exit immediately) and some other page needs to saved to disk, so better remove/disable them altogether.

Very often you do all this and nothing changes. Then the most likely culprit is some driver which is malfunctioning for some reason. If you download and install Process Explorer (from Microsoft's SysInternals site, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... lorer.aspx), you can see if your DPC (deferred procedure calls) are high. Usually there's a service/process which has unusually high CPU activity. You note the name, then you go in the event viewer, enable "Applications and Service Logs" and find the entry for that service (often it's stuff like the WMI Provider Host as the drivers' instrumentation is tricky to implement properly). You find error events, and the event tells you which process is constantly failing.. which you then disable/remove. That usually fixes it.

How to do concretely all of the above, you google it - but of course ask if you're stuck someplace. The sysinternals utilities are invaluable in general for getting information about all that is going on in the system but of course you need an idea on what to check in the first place, hence the text above. :)

Cheers for replying, been working through some of this but no luck yet and will have to have a deeper look at it, but things tried that haven't worked -

- disabled c-states in bios and set power to maximum performance (though noticed a few other things were enabled that not sure should be, will check again)

- SSD has about 36Gb free to 65Gb used, and second drive has 1.1Tb free to 700Gb used. Cubase is installed on the SSD and projects+files on second drive; also tried turning off indexing and reseting registry/filtering for latter

- Tried disabling network devices/related drivers and unplugging wireless adapter, and updated graphics driver to latest. Also in hidden devices there was an 'unconnected' version of my audio interface which didn't make much sense, so deleted it. There also seem to be a bunch of shadow or duplicate devices, but are they not essential in some way?

- Had a quick look at task scheduler and will look at further soon, but RAM is at about 16% usage generally. Could be one of these many small processes that is issue, but need to narrow down

- Had a quick look at process explorer and the DPC interrupts/calls were high (77,500,000 context switches? about 1.5 - 2% cpu usage) but couldn't see anything else with outstanding cpu usage, will look into this further too though

Intuitively it seems like some driver or process is sporadically pinging or whatever and interrupting the disk transfer rate whilst doing this, but I could be wrong, and I'm struggling to isolate and identify the problem :( Will check over those last two things again tomorrow and see if I can get further, but any other ideas in the meantime much appreciated! Thanks
Herpaderp1
Poster

Postby Herpaderp1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:41 pm

mashedmitten wrote:

You bring up some good points, though.

First, Performance Monitor open while running Cubase and looking for the process peak that coincides with the dropouts might help sort it.

Another thing is trying to do too many things from one HDD/SSD could cause the issues. If you're running Cubase, reading it's files and streaming samples from the same disk all in addition to OS tasks ther are bound to be timing conflicts. I run a minimum of two drives, one for OS and Programs and another for data and projects. Were I streaming samples ther would be a third, SSD most likely.

The OP really needs to find if Stepping/ Throttling are disabled also, like we've said.

ASIO Guard is another thing that can cause issues for some if enabled. Seems system specific, but enough have reported issues for something to indeed be up with it.

3rd party plugs can also conflict with Cubase both due to being hogs and just not playing nice. This has also been reported.

OP should make a small project with just Cubase plugs to both see if it's 3rd party induced of just to post a link to so we can try it on different systems.

A list of plugs used in problem projects might help, might make a light bulb light for someone reading this.

Cheers, had a look at performance monitor whilst cubase was running and it looks like there are peaks in the SSD, though as for the processes there a few peaks flying around and couldn't be sure if they coincided with the droputs (thought it was avast antivrus but after disabling still had problem), will try doing this again though see if I can identify any others coinciding

I have cubase on the ssd and projects/files on the second drive, and no third party plugins (only using cubase VST presets and plugins, also only two running for one track is whole project in this case).

Have disabled c-states and put maximum performance setting on in bios, this is same as disabling throttling/stepping?

I don't think cubase 5 has asio guard at all as had come across others saying that too but only for later versions, but sounds like it's relevant and will have another look into this

Am only using ampsimulator and monodelay plugins, and honestly never had an issue with them before until recently, and same issue applies in other projects with a variety of plugins, so I'm not sure that they are the issue in this case. But I will try recording for a while with no plugins at all and see if I get the same issue as might help narrow it down maybe.

Will get back again tomorrow, any other ideas though please let know! Thanks
Herpaderp1
Poster

Postby mashedmitten » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:19 pm

That it's happening on such a simple project means to me it's deeper than a setting.

How old is the OS install? Could be conflicts even with old uninstalled programs/ drivers. That you have multiple entries for devices/processes is odd.

I multi boot with hidden OS partitions and use an imaging program. When problems like this arise, a fresh OS install with all programs and settings is less than 15 minutes away or I have another partition ready to go, so a test is a re-boot away.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

Postby CS70 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:07 am

Herpaderp1 wrote:Intuitively it seems like some driver or process is sporadically pinging or whatever and interrupting the disk transfer rate whilst doing this, but I could be wrong, and I'm struggling to isolate and identify the problem :( Will check over those last two things again tomorrow and see if I can get further, but any other ideas in the meantime much appreciated! Thanks

If you have disabled all the startup programs and no heavy tasks are running, one or more drivers are a possible cause. Did you install anything new before the problem started to occur? New mouse, connected a different interface, updated the graphics card drivers etc?

The Event Viewer's Applications and Service Logs are worth a look. Latency Monitor also can provide some details of the driver which is using most time.
CS70
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 am

You've mentioned you have seen examples of DPC test failing, but not linked us any screenshots of the results. The is a lot of info there that might help us here.

Run it for 10 mins and if it fails screenshot the main tab, drivers tab (sort by highest execution) and copy results to clipboard (from the menu dropdown at the top) and upload that in a text file too.

One thing I might suggest is that C5 was written for Vista and whilst it ran fine for most people on W7 I had a rather mixed experience personally. I don't even want to think how much fun your going to experience running what is fast approaching a decade old client on W10.

So, I'd suggest perhaps trying a modern DAW. Grab the new Cubase demo or Reaper maybe and just build up a similar project to whatever is causing you headaches right now. It's possible that if your system is showing DPC as fine, this might prove to be a legacy audio engine issue.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby rurs » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:02 pm

I think you're using the wrong driver. You mention "ASIO Direct Sound Full Duplex", which is an emulated fudge, I believe.

Within Cubase, go to Devices, then Device Setup. You should choose the Tascam ASIO driver.
rurs
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:37 pm

rurs wrote:I think you're using the wrong driver. You mention "ASIO Direct Sound Full Duplex", which is an emulated fudge, I believe.

Within Cubase, go to Devices, then Device Setup. You should choose the Tascam ASIO driver.

Bum - I just read all the way through this thread, and was convinced that no-one else had spotted this.

Yep, you're not using a 'proper' ASIO driver, which should include the name (or at least the manufacturer) of your particular audio interface, in this case Tascam.

Well done rurs, but boo hiss for beating me to posting about it! ;)

Oh, and welcome to the SOS Forums from me to Herpaderp1 and rurs! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Herpaderp1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:30 pm

rurs wrote:I think you're using the wrong driver. You mention "ASIO Direct Sound Full Duplex", which is an emulated fudge, I believe.

Sorry for the confusion on this, I do use my audio interface driver in cubase device setup and not asio duplex, but wasn't paying attention when I was looking around for buffer settings is all. Will work through the other points above asap and get back, cheers
Herpaderp1
Poster

Postby rurs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 pm

@MW Thanks for the welcome, I can't believe I've only 8 posts in nearly 13 years :o

To the OP, a very frustrating problem. There is certainly loads of good advice here, hopefully you can isolate the problem.

As another poster suggested, maybe try a different DAW. There is a free version of Tracktion available, it might be worth a shot, as it's easy to get to grips with. Have you access to a different interface?
rurs
New here

Postby Herpaderp1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:You've mentioned you have seen examples of DPC test failing, but not linked us any screenshots of the results. The is a lot of info there that might help us here.

Run it for 10 mins and if it fails screenshot the main tab, drivers tab (sort by highest execution) and copy results to clipboard (from the menu dropdown at the top) and upload that in a text file too.

One thing I might suggest is that C5 was written for Vista and whilst it ran fine for most people on W7 I had a rather mixed experience personally. I don't even want to think how much fun your going to experience running what is fast approaching a decade old client on W10.

So, I'd suggest perhaps trying a modern DAW. Grab the new Cubase demo or Reaper maybe and just build up a similar project to whatever is causing you headaches right now. It's possible that if your system is showing DPC as fine, this might prove to be a legacy audio engine issue.

Hi, here is a link to screenshots of latencymon after 10 mins with cubase running project - http://imgur.com/a/JQqyO
(img1: main report, img2: drivers highest dpc count, img3: drivers highest execution)

The main report says the system is fine, though I had LM on the other day and it gave me a bunch of errors then, even when not in cubase, and it doesn't seem to report this again now even when I try forcing it by opening other programs during cubase (the problem is still happening though). The thing that does seem to keep appearing at the top of this though is USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, also tcpip.sys - TCP/IP Driver, Microsoft Corporation and some kernel driver (not sure if it was the graphics one shown on image report linked above).

Sure I understand Cubase 5 is old now, though I got windows 10 upgrade from 7 sometime in early 2016 and it was running fine for ages, pretty sure it was only early this year that the problem started surfacing. Have considered upgrading but wanna avoid expensive options first, especially if turns out the problem doesn't get solved. Will check demo though was unaware they offered one thanks.
Herpaderp1
Poster

Postby Herpaderp1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:47 pm

mashedmitten wrote:That it's happening on such a simple project means to me it's deeper than a setting.

How old is the OS install? Could be conflicts even with old uninstalled programs/ drivers. That you have multiple entries for devices/processes is odd.

I multi boot with hidden OS partitions and use an imaging program. When problems like this arise, a fresh OS install with all programs and settings is less than 15 minutes away or I have another partition ready to go, so a test is a re-boot away.

Was my intuition too, and upgraded to windows 10 from 7 early 2016. Sorry the last paragraph has gone over my head a bit, but are you saying there is a way to do a reinstallation of windows 10 without losing programs and/or selecting ones to keep? Got MS Office 2016 onetime install with no backup from last employer and am afraid will lose it if reinstall windows (currently use it for work regularly), am I being stupid on this or will I lose that software? Cheers
Herpaderp1
Poster

Postby Herpaderp1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:53 pm

CS70 wrote:If you have disabled all the startup programs and no heavy tasks are running, one or more drivers are a possible cause. Did you install anything new before the problem started to occur? New mouse, connected a different interface, updated the graphics card drivers etc?

The Event Viewer's Applications and Service Logs are worth a look. Latency Monitor also can provide some details of the driver which is using most time.

I've been racking my brain on this trying to think if there was anything but nothing particularly springs to mind, which makes me think it might have been some kind of automatic update that's now screwing with the PC, that or equipment wear and tear, but really can't be sure.

Is there anything I'm looking for in particular in Event Viewer's Applications and Service Logs? Also here is link to latencymon screenshots - http://imgur.com/a/JQqyO
(see post above, report said ran fine this time but not other times, don't know why)
Herpaderp1
Poster

Postby Herpaderp1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:59 pm

rurs wrote:@MW Thanks for the welcome, I can't believe I've only 8 posts in nearly 13 years :o

To the OP, a very frustrating problem. There is certainly loads of good advice here, hopefully you can isolate the problem.

As another poster suggested, maybe try a different DAW. There is a free version of Tracktion available, it might be worth a shot, as it's easy to get to grips with. Have you access to a different interface?

Cheers, will try a demo version of another DAW and see if that makes a difference, though I don't have access to another interface unfortunately. I use a Tascam US-1641 purchased in about 2008-9, so it's possible it is wearing down? Firmware and drivers are up to date on it, will think if there's another way I can test it on a different PC though to isolate problem.
Herpaderp1
Poster

Postby mashedmitten » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:44 pm

Herpaderp1 wrote:
mashedmitten wrote:That it's happening on such a simple project means to me it's deeper than a setting.

Was my intuition too, and upgraded to windows 10 from 7 early 2016. Sorry the last paragraph has gone over my head a bit, but are you saying there is a way to do a reinstallation of windows 10 without losing programs and/or selecting ones to keep? Got MS Office 2016 onetime install with no backup from last employer and am afraid will lose it if reinstall windows (currently use it for work regularly), am I being stupid on this or will I lose that software? Cheers

I saw the latency report and notice USB 1.1_2.0. Could it be your interface is plugged into a 1.1 port?

You upgraded to W10, does your system have all drivers for it? Reason I ask is if there are USB1.1 ports on your motherboard I'm wondering how old the system is.

As to the multi-boot thing, for one time auth. programs you'd have to have a perfect, basic OS image, install and authorize it and then take another image of the change. Everytime after it'd be ready to go. I use 3rd party software, nothing to do with Microsoft.

Another thing is to check all drivers, W10 thinks it knows best and can overwrite un0signed drivers at its whim.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

Postby mashedmitten » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:One thing I might suggest is that C5 was written for Vista and whilst it ran fine for most people on W7 I had a rather mixed experience personally. I don't even want to think how much fun your going to experience running what is fast approaching a decade old client on W10.

You might have just hit it Pete. The whole Windows audio scheme changed between W7 and W10 and Cubase had to be patched to make certain versions work with W10. They limited how far back they released patches for versions. I don't think C5 made the cut.

I'm still wondering about the USB ports, though.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

Next