You are here

A useful tip for syncing work between two computers

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

A useful tip for syncing work between two computers

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm in the process of setting up my backup laptop in readiness for live performances this year and I hit a problem and solution I thought would be worth sharing.

My main PC has two hard drive partitions, C: and D:, and in the past I decided to keep my sample folders and libraries in 'D:\Samples'.

My backup PC has only one hard drive partition and drive D: was taken as the optical drive.

I sync the two laptops using OneDrive. This ensures that any changes I make to my Cantabile files on PC1 are automatically taken up by PC2. The trouble I was having was that, since the drive letters for the sample locations did not agree, I was having to go through re-locate dialogues every time.

I did the following on PC2...

I went into the 'Computer Management' panel, selected 'Disk Management', highlighted the optical (CD-ROM') drive, right-clicked and changed the drive letter assignment from D: to E:

I created a folder on the C: drive called 'DDrive'. I moved the 'C:\Samples' folder into this new folder, so I now had 'C:\DDrive\Samples'.

I opened up a command window and used the 'subst' command to assign a drive D: letter to the folder 'C:\DDrive'. For some reason this wouldn't work, although it appeared to take and action the command. Hmmm... :thumbdown:

I then downloaded the free 'Visual Subst' utility and used this to allocate the drive letter to the folder as above (and also ticked the option to have the virtual drive applied at Windows startup). This worked - hoorah! To all intents I now have a 'D:\Samples' folder on PC2.
http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/visual-subst.html

I had to one-off relocate a few libraries the next time I started up Cantabile/Kontakt, but it all worked smoothly and everything now syncs as I'd wanted with no further location problems. Job done. Only one caveat - it can take a while for the virtual drive to show up after a restart, so be patient until it appears.

Just thought I'd share this one with the gang, in case anyone comes up against a similar scenario - you never know. :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: A useful tip for syncing work between two computers

Postby Agharta » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Another option is to shrink a C drive to for example 100GB and then assign the free space to another partition and label that D drive.

There's an advantage in keeping the C drive small as it makes system backups quicker to perform and smaller.
You can also image the whole partition which is easier.
The data on the D drive often changes less frequently and you can use a type of incremental backup which are quicker to run.
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Postby mashedmitten » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Defraggler is a good tool to use before shrinking a partition. It compacts everything to the beginning of the existing partition and you can visually see the location of the data and not lose any.

An external drive, be it flash or standard, might be a better solution. You will avoid read/write conflicts associated with one drive for audio. You said 'mobile rig' so I mentioned the other first. If you re-letter the optical drive, the external should always get the next available letter, or D:\.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Thnks for the input guys. I agree that both are perfectly good alternatives, but neither are preferable to me on this occasion.

Great to have this thread around for the future! :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:28 pm

The Elf wrote:I went into the 'Computer Management' panel, selected 'Disk Management', highlighted the optical (CD-ROM') drive, right-clicked and changed the drive letter assignment from D: to E:

I've gone a bit berserk with this re-lettering technique, and currently have

D: for Data
L: for Library backups
P: for Projects
Q: for audio (boo hiss, losing the theme here ;) )
S: for Samples
U: for Updates
V: for Vstplugins
W: for Windows backup

At least with a dedicated letter for each partition function I can make them the same on each PC I'm running :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Agharta wrote:Another option is to shrink a C drive to for example 100GB and then assign the free space to another partition and label that D drive.

There's an advantage in keeping the C drive small as it makes system backups quicker to perform and smaller.
You can also image the whole partition which is easier.

I've done this too. My 128GB SSD has:

C: 64GB for windows + applications

V: 64GB for Vstplugins as discussed in the above post.

As long as I carefully install all my big sample library data on S: Samples instead of where Windows wants to put it tucked away somewhere on C:, all works well, and my C: partition is nice and small for backing up 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Martin Walker wrote:D: for Data

At least with a dedicated letter for each partition function I can make them the same on each PC I'm running
Clever. I can see me adopting just such a scheme in the near future.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:44 pm

The Elf wrote:[Clever. I can see me adopting just such a scheme in the near future.

Why thank you kind sir!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
The Elf wrote:I went into the 'Computer Management' panel, selected 'Disk Management', highlighted the optical (CD-ROM') drive, right-clicked and changed the drive letter assignment from D: to E:

At least with a dedicated letter for each partition function I can make them the same on each PC I'm running :thumbup:
Martin

You would partition a single drive that way?
I tend to have a single data partition with a few top level folders for simplicity these days.
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Agharta wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:I've gone a bit berserk with this re-lettering technique, and currently have

I tend to have a single data partition with a few top level folders for simplicity these days.
This is why I believe my method of aliasing folders as drives has some merit; you don't have to commit to a hard partition size, but you effectively have a capacity up to the full size of the container drive/partition. You can simultaneously treat the same physical drive/partition as a single entity with neatly named folders, or as a series of neatly designated 'drives'.

In other words, the best of both worlds? :ugeek:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Agharta wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:

Martin

No, that's a single Solid State Drive for C: and V:, split into two, and two mechanical hard drives, each split into four partitions.

The two mechanical ones were inherited from my previous PC, complete with their data contents, which saved several days of data transfer :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:23 pm

The Elf wrote: you don't have to commit to a hard partition size, but you effectively have a capacity up to the full size of the container drive/partition. You can simultaneously treat the same physical drive/partition as a single entity with neatly named folders, or as a series of neatly designated 'drives'.

In other words, the best of both worlds? :ugeek:

Hmm.... I'll see your single drive max capacity and raise you a JBOD. ;)

http://lifehacker.com/5986883/how-to-co ... ty-storage
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio