You are here

Bit of a Buzz

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Bit of a Buzz

Postby bruceyripper » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi,

Recording on a Tascam 424MKIII going from the Line Out from that into Behringer USB interface into Audacity.

The recording I have here - https://soundcloud.com/user-869299747

There is a low level buzzing, even when nothing is playing. It is audible at the start of this track.

What is it? How do I get rid of it? So that there is just silence until the music kicks in..

HELP! Please

Cheers,
GF Bruce.
bruceyripper
Poster

Re: Bit of a Buzz

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:28 pm

It sounds like ts probably a ground loop problem. However, I think the 424 has a wall-wart power supply, so it probably doesn't have a direct mains earth connection of its own... In which case the ground loop is probably via other things you have plugged into the Tascam, like keyboards, synths, drum machines, guitar amps etc.

If the recording is clean, then a line isolator box between Tascam out and interface in should do the trick. I like the ART DTI box for this role as it has lts of connector types making it very versatile... But there are many others on the market.

Of course, if you can't hear the buzz when the music is playing, just edit silence onto the front of the track in the computer -- it's what we did with leader tape inte days of reel-reel recorders! :-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby bruceyripper » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks Hue,

Thing is I have a ground loop isolation thing that I used to plug into before the interface, that always solved the problem, but now when I plug that in it's WORSE!! I don't even know how that is possible.

So do I just try it again, but without all the other stuff (compressors, etc.) being attached. I'll give that a try and tell ya what happens.

tar :)
bruceyripper
Poster

Postby bruceyripper » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Yeah that has solved it. Haven't recorded in a while, forgot about all that.

Cheers Hugh :clap:
bruceyripper
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Glad you've solved it.

When you have a lot of different stuff connected you can have multiple ground loops, and so the whole things gets very complicated. Often removing one loop can make others worse, which is why sometimes an isolator can appear to make the problem worse in a very counterintuitive way.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:When you have a lot of different stuff connected you can have multiple ground loops, and so the whole things gets very complicated. Often removing one loop can make others worse, which is why sometimes an isolator can appear to make the problem worse in a very counterintuitive way.

Spot on as usual Hugh ;)

If anyone else is struggling with possible multiple ground loop problems, here's a step-by-step guide to tracking down the culprits that I wrote ages ago for SOS:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advic ... -my-studio

Martin
Martin Walker