You are here

Tascam 1608 Interface and Reaper

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Tascam 1608 Interface and Reaper

Postby GRAHAM99 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:56 am

I am thinking of getting a Tascam 1608 interface to tun on a laptop with Reaper to record live bands.
The spec for the Tascam interface says processor speed of 2ghz but my laptop is only 1.7ghz.
Will this be ok??
I have 4gb of ram which I think will be ok?
I have been using a Korg D888 which is great but having only 8 tracks is quite restrictive.
Any words of wisdom?
GRAHAM99
Regular

Re: Tascam 1608 Interface and Reaper

Postby ef37a » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:15 am

GRAHAM99 wrote:I am thinking of getting a Tascam 1608 interface to tun on a laptop with Reaper to record live bands.
The spec for the Tascam interface says processor speed of 2ghz but my laptop is only 1.7ghz.
Will this be ok??
I have 4gb of ram which I think will be ok?
I have been using a Korg D888 which is great but having only 8 tracks is quite restrictive.
Any words of wisdom?

Did you buy that laptop at the millennium Graham? What make/model is it? I bet it is 1.7G TWO cores?
The Tascam 1608 has a lot of fans and I don't think I have ever read anything bad about it. (look at but don't desert! <homerecording.com> Quite a few users there) .

You might also invest in the Behringer HA400 Headphone amp? As with a lot of AIs, the HP output is pretty feeble for -18dBFS work plus the Berry gives you 4, controllable outputs.

For tracking I doubt the CPU will be a problem and you can set a huge buffer size to keep it happy. If you wanted to run even a few FX (one?) as you tracked I doubt you could so just treat the system as a bloody good tape recorder with a near infinite tape spool.

I am sure a 'proper' PC person will be along shortly. MARTY!?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby GRAHAM99 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks for that Dave.
The laptop is a HP 350 G1 with Windows 7 professional.
The processor is an Intel Core i3-4500cpu @1.7ghz.Not sure what all that means?!
It has service pack 1 64bit operating system system.
It is 2-3 years old.
4gb of ram.
Will only be tracking with the laptop and then copying the Reaper project into my studio computer for mixing.
I have an ART headphone amp,the output on the Korg D888 is also poor!!
All advice and comments gratefully received!!
GRAHAM99
Regular

Postby mashedmitten » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:03 am

What exactly will the system be called upon for? 'Tracking' is too broad a term. How many simultaneous tracks? Is latency a concern, talent needing to monitor as recording? What RPM the HDD? Any other internal/ external drives in the setup?

4GB of RAM on W7 is pushing it, what does your system show as what's left after the OS takes its portion?
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby GRAHAM99 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:41 am

The available RAM is 2.5g???
Not sure of disc speed but HP specs says 7200rpm??
GRAHAM99
Regular

Postby GRAHAM99 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 am

Sorry meant to say that laptop will only be used for live tracking of a band no monitoring needed.
GRAHAM99
Regular

Postby GRAHAM99 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:43 am

Will use 16 tracks using the disc drive on the laptop.
GRAHAM99
Regular

Postby mashedmitten » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:51 am

With those givens, I think it will be close. Could go either way. I'd record to an external drive, at least 7200 RPM to give it the best shot. Sample rate might play a factor, also.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby ef37a » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:16 pm

This laptop (UWIT) is an i3. OK 4 core 2.4G but I think the 1.7G will be 4 cores?
I doubt you will have any trouble recording 16 tracks so long as you use a large buffer size and zero plugins. You will not get low latency but surely you do not need that for tracking?

AFAIK even a 5400rpm drive will be more than fast enough (Martin did an article about this a while ago) . 4G ram IS a bit low these days but I coped with that on this machine for quite some time. I had another 4 G fitted and cannot, H on H tell any difference save the machine runs a bit hotter! *

Not been said in this forum much these days but, look up all the 'Audio Optimizations' for W7 or at least kill Windows sounds, bleeps and bloops. I would also disable the On Board Sound in Dev Mang' BEFORE installing the 1608 drivers.

*The HP g6 series suffer from 'stuffed ports' i.e. they get fluff in the fan duct and overheat, sometimes terminally I am told. Might be as well to get a tech to strip and clean the machine for you? Bit drastic I know but there is a Recovery partition on HPs and you COULD run that and get the machine back to Factory gate status thus loosing all the detritus gathered over the years!

I am pretty certain that the machine, cleaned and optimized will cope very well indeed.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby mashedmitten » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:45 pm

The CPU is dual core with 4 threads, Dave.

A 5400RPM drive can multitrack, to an extent, But I've seen repeated reports with Cubase that 10 simultaneous tracks can cause issues. As soon as the drive is upgraded or a 7200 external is added, the problems disappear. The OP plans on 16. Sure, the # of plugs has an effect on results, but for a remote session I'd not want to find it wanting for something as simple as an external drive, forget the rest of the system. It being the same drive as OS, 5400, the read write conflicts will exacerbate speed issues. OP's is 7200, so it's moot here.

The only optimizations worth anything in modern OS's are making sure speed stepping/ throttling isn't enabled for the CPU, Performance setting to max, and going through all advanced power options, making sure nothing can go to sleep when not in use. I disable windows' sounds first thing after OS install, it can change the sample rate at inopportune times. As far as disabling system hardware, I've never seen benefit, only sync issues with interfaces. On one system with a firewire interface, if I disable the onboard souncard in BIOS, the unit will sync 3 times out of 10. I enable it and it syncs every time, without fail. Only change is the toggle.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

Postby ef37a » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:24 pm

mashedmitten wrote:The CPU is dual core with 4 threads, Dave.

A 5400RPM drive can multitrack, to an extent, But I've seen repeated reports with Cubase that 10 simultaneous tracks can cause issues. As soon as the drive is upgraded or a 7200 external is added, the problems disappear. The OP plans on 16. Sure, the # of plugs has an effect on results, but for a remote session I'd not want to find it wanting for something as simple as an external drive, forget the rest of the system. It being the same drive as OS, 5400, the read write conflicts will exacerbate speed issues. OP's is 7200, so it's moot here.

The only optimizations worth anything in modern OS's are making sure speed stepping/ throttling isn't enabled for the CPU, Performance setting to max, and going through all advanced power options, making sure nothing can go to sleep when not in use. I disable windows' sounds first thing after OS install, it can change the sample rate at inopportune times. As far as disabling system hardware, I've never seen benefit, only sync issues with interfaces. On one system with a firewire interface, if I disable the onboard souncard in BIOS, the unit will sync 3 times out of 10. I enable it and it syncs every time, without fail. Only change is the toggle.

I can only grovel before your PC props sir but I would suggest that Cubase is the last DAW the OP needs. I used the LITE version for a time and it was pretty unstable. Ok my PC was no F1 jobby but Reaper is generally recognised as a very low CPU hit.

I very much doubt that laptop has USB 3.0 and so would not USB 2.0 be as much of speed bottle neck as his 5400 drive (got one in this HP ,never been a problem) .

As to all the other stuff? Don't know but the more he turns off (sensibly) the better off he will be AFAIK?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:36 pm

I do 24 track recording on a 12 year old Acer laptop with an AMD Sempron processor and only 512MB of RAM. Reaper needs only a tiny amount of processing power.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby mashedmitten » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Just used Cubase as a reference. I've run it since SX days with no stability problems whatsoever. No crashes, hangs or other.

Further, I'm not saying it won't do the job, just making a suggestion about an external drive in addition to the internal. Since the OP's internal is 7200 RPM, talk of a 5400 is kind of off topic.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

Postby GRAHAM99 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Silly question,how do I stop all the windows bleeps etc when Reaper is opened??
GRAHAM99
Regular

Postby ef37a » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:22 am

GRAHAM99 wrote:Silly question,how do I stop all the windows bleeps etc when Reaper is opened??

L clk the chevron on taskbar next to 'power plug' . Rclk the speaker icon, L clk 'Sounds'. Set for 'No Sound'. You will still get the Windows startup sound but nothing else.

BTW, before you start changing stuff in a PC it is a good idea to set a Restore Point. (tho' I have NO idea why anyone would want those annoying noise back!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby GRAHAM99 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Many thanks for that!!
Need to buy the Tascam interface now!!
GRAHAM99
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm about to do something very similar with a US16-08 (and an HA400 for that matter), my laptop is slightly newer I think but is a 2-core @2.49GHz with 8GB of ram.
If you can wait 10 days I'll be able to tell you how we got on :)
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby GRAHAM99 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks for that.I have plently of time so will look forward to your findings!!
GRAHAM99
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:30 am

Processor wise I'd possibly say what you have is overkill, unless your trying to transcode to a compressed format on the fly? I'm going to assume that you are not at this point.

Likely issue would be either drive not being able to write enough, or the not being enough RAM to buffer it... in the event the drive isn't fast enough.

I'd be tempted to throw in a cheap SSD and call it a day tbh.

On the software side, I know we were kicking around Cubase as a simple example, but I'm just going to remind everyone that "Nuendo Live" is still a thing, because since release it's been a bit quiet on that front.

Also stumbled across this Waves multi-tracker a few weeks back. New to me at least, but then I don't spend a whole load of times in the waves ecosystem :
http://www.waves.com/downloads/tracks-live
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby GRAHAM99 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:11 am

I have tried recording 16 tracks at once on the laptop using a Boss Katana via usb but with each track recording the same.Only a couple of minutes but it worked ok.Sometimes clicked on playback but when I copied the project into my studio pc it was fine.
Would hard disc or ram issues be more likely with a longer recording time?
GRAHAM99
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:23 pm

GRAHAM99 wrote:I have tried recording 16 tracks at once on the laptop using a Boss Katana via usb but with each track recording the same.Only a couple of minutes but it worked ok.Sometimes clicked on playback but when I copied the project into my studio pc it was fine. Would hard disc or ram issues be more likely with a longer recording time?

Hmmm....

So, just to get this straight in my head, is that a guitar cab with a USB output?

Link to model please, so I can fully understand this one and how its working.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby mashedmitten » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:
GRAHAM99 wrote:I have tried recording 16 tracks at once on the laptop using a Boss Katana via usb but with each track recording the same.Only a couple of minutes but it worked ok.Sometimes clicked on playback but when I copied the project into my studio pc it was fine. Would hard disc or ram issues be more likely with a longer recording time?

Hmmm....

So, just to get this straight in my head, is that a guitar cab with a USB output?

Link to model please, so I can fully understand this one and how its working.

They're modeling amps with line level or USB outs for DAW connectivity. Sounds like he used the input for 16 tracks and recorded all in one go.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-he
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

Postby GRAHAM99 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:53 pm

That's right, it was a way of testing Reaper on my lap top recording 16 tracks at once albeit with the same input signal via usb.
As I said,worked ok but with a few clicks on playback on the laptop but fine on my studio pc.
Would longer recordings precipitate ram and hard disc issues?
GRAHAM99
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:16 am

Right, so if the audio is going in and plays back fine on another machine, that tells me everything is fine with recording and playback is the problem here.

It sounds like you have enough RAM as the data is being written correctly and the drive is keeping up I guess otherwise the data wouldn't be saved correctly.

It could be the software playing back is doing a direct disk read rather than buffering larges amount of it. In this instance if the drive was busy and loads had been deleted over time, it could have fragmented data everywhere at this point and the read head could be doing far, far more work than it needs to be in order to play it back.

So have you defragmented the drive you're recording to recently?

If not I'd suggest running it through the free version of this : https://www.piriform.com/defraggler as the modern Windows inbuilt one is rather slow.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby GRAHAM99 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:27 am

Hi Pete

Thanks for that will run a defrag!!
Will also do one on my studio pc, not done one for ages!!!
GRAHAM99
Regular

Next