You are here

Firewire cards

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Firewire cards

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:06 pm

It's almost time for me to go shopping for a PCI firewire card and I know that this is a dangerous thing to do. Despite lots of posts about cards in this forum (I did try searching first - honest), I can't actually find any recommendations. I know that I should look for one with a TI chipset, but is this clearly marked on the packaging? Or is it a question of looking on the card? If so, what to look for and what to beware. I notice one post where someone got burned because the card had a TI chip on it, but not the right one.

I'm thinking of getting a 3port FW800 card - any problems with doing this? Or should I stick to FW400 for the time being?

Any chance of this going into the PC FAQ?

Or have I missed something blindingly obvious again...?
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Firewire cards

Postby Peter C » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi,

This is the most authoratative test I know of:
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800alert.htm

Also... if you go with FW800 you should read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

Peter
Peter C
Regular

Postby PaulD » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi
Have you got a 64-bit PCI/PCI-X slot, because the only 32-bit FW800 card I've tested (from Maplin) only sustained FW400 datra transfer speeds. It seems you need the long 64-bit slots (and a full length 64-bit card) for FW800 speeds.
PaulD
Regular

Postby CdnBcn » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:15 pm

FW800 cards are a great thing to have if you expect to integrate Firewire 800 devices. Most 1394b card include adapter cables for 1394a devices as part of the package bundle. As of now most FW800 devices are DV Cameras, some high performance external hard drives, and a particular line of soundcards from RME [only if more than 1 are used].

As far as a particular Firewire PCI card is concerned, personally I am more partial to making a selection by chipset and peripherals as opposed to a specific brand. Some premium manufacturers such as OrangeMicro, or Adaptec have some great products but you can find equally solid units made by lesser known manufacturers such as Startech [ www.startech.com ]. The Texas Instruments Firewire chipsets tends to be the most widely supported and most frequently suggested by manufacturers.

Cheers,

Tim
CdnBcn
Regular

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:48 pm

Cheers Chaps,

Peter - I thought that there was something on the RME site, but I hadn't found it before so that link is a life saver. Ta. It seems to confirm that the Lacie (which I'd been recommended elsewhere) is a good bet. Time to track one down (dabs are out of stock at the moment).

Ta all!
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby Koed » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:24 pm

I always found the Yamaha mLAN 1394 card compatiblity list very useful.
Koed
Poster

Postby stube40 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:34 am

This is quite topical for me, as I had a nightmare with finding a TI-based PCI card a few months back.

Basically, my MAudio 410-based system was full of pops and glitches. I had tried everything, except a TI-chipset firewire card.

Finding one was the next problem. The Adaptec Fireconnect 4300 had the TI-chipset up until March, after which it started shipping with VIA - hence, I nearly got my fingers burnt there.

In the end, I settled for a card aimed at video-applications, the ADS Pyro PCI 64 - it was sensibly priced and it finally cured all my pops and glitches (hooray!!).

I actually bought 2 of them because of the hassle I had to source them. Since then, I've rebuild my system around a D965LT Intel mohterboard which has on-board Firewire based on TI-chipset.

Hence, I now have 2 ADS Pyro Cards sitting doing nothing. I am quite happy to sell the unused one (still in the wrapper), but would choose to keep the used one for emergencies. If anyone's interested, just make me a sensible offer, else I'll keep them in case I ever have a multi-DAW setup.

Cheers,
Stuart.
stube40
Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:21 am

Update : I ordered a Lacie FW400 card from their website the other day and it's just turned up. I am also sourcing their FW800 card (stocks ran out when I was looking but now they are back) to keep for later as the RME site reckons that they are ok as well.

I notice that my 400 card is a VIA chipset, but according to RME, this is fine. So I'll just have to hope that when my new gear arrives, it's been as well designed as the RME (or just get a FF800!!).

Time to rip the PC apart again ....

Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby JOSE LUIS SOARES PINTO » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:18 am

i´m interested TO BUY a firewire 400 PCI CARD CHIPSET TEXAS INSTRUMENTS for my RME FIREFACE 800 .
URGENT BECAUSE I´M CONTACTING OTHER PEOPLE. THANK YOU.
JOSE LUIS SOARES PINTO