You are here

FAQs for all Atarians

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

FAQs for all Atarians

Postby David Etheridge » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:22 am

Hi everybody,
welcome to the new all singing, all dancing Atari forum.

We'll no doubt cover a great deal of ground in the next few years on all things Atari, but for newcomers, and those who've just forgotten, here are a few FAQ and the various answers.

Which Atari is which?
The basic ST comes in three forms: the original STF, STFM and STE.
some very early ones only have 520k of memory, most have 1meg, and all can be upgraded to either 2, 2.5, or 4 meg.
STFs and FMs need soldering skills, while the STE uses plug in SIMMs, which are very easy to install. A 4 meg STE will handle anything you care to throw at it, and can run several programs at once, if you're using a multitasking system as supplied with Cubase, Notator, or KCS.
The Mega ST and STE Series are larger units with seperate keyboards and possibly a hard drive.
The TT series runs at double the speed (16mHz, I believe) and is a very powerful machine, although some programs are not happy on it.
The Falcon is a rare and wonderful beast, coming in various formats up to 14 meg memory, with the capability to run audio progs. However, it's not entirely backwards compatible with ST progs (one of the more stupid things Atari did!).
There's the full story here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_ar ... notes.html

Can Ataris read PC and Mac disks?
Yes, But only if you format them for DOS. Macs and PCs won't read Atari format disks. There are various accessories that can write boot info for PCs and Macs on your Atari, but the safest way is to use the formatting system on your PC or Mac as above.

My monitor is on the way out. What should I do?
Dump it and get a PC monitor, and buy an adaptor lead from Keychange. The advantages of a 17-21" display are wonderful!

Can I sync an Atari to my PC, Mac or hardware recorder?
Yes. You can sync it via MTC and MMC, or use SMPTE timecode in some cases via Unitor (for Notator users), or MIDEX (Cubase users). There are also units for this purpose if you're using other programs.

Can I use a hard drive system?
Undoubtedly, and they don't have to sound like coffee grinders either!
As long as you have a suitable adaptor lead (again from Keychange), you can use large HDs, Zips and cartridge systems like the Syquest EZ drive. If you have ICD link software, that will do all the formatting and housekeeping duties, and you'll find that you don't have to drown in boxes of floppies!

Is there much software available?
Yes, and the majority of it is all FREE! Go to Tim's Atari world: http://tamw.atari-users.net/ and you'll find many former commercial programs available free, including some wacky algorithmic stuff for experimental composers. Note that Notator is a free download from www.notator.org, but it still needs an official dongle to work.

What about synth editors?

Lots available, and as you would expect, they'll be for classic and older synths. So don't expect a Fantom or Triton editor!
Go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atari-midi-archives/SOUNDS
and you'll see the list in manufacturer order.

Who fixes Ataris and sells add ons and other useful bits?
Easy. Currently one port of call in the U.K.
www.keychange.co.uk
who keep many of the contributors to this forum up and running (including myself). If you need help and assistance, servicing, hardware and that hard to find bit, Barrie is the guy to contact (usual disclaimer).
And for non U.K. readers, he DOES send worldwide.

Another useful site for all things Atari is the Atari Launchpad :
http://gem.win.co.nz/hall/

with links, downloads, and a database of Atari related stuff.
Tims' Atari MIDI world has links to some of the on line Atari mags as well

Anyway, that's enough to get you started. Ask any questions, and we'll keep you up and running.

Best wishes,
Dave
Atari forum moderator

David Etheridge
Regular
Lots of Ataris which keep on going, 12 Kurzweil 1000 modules, a bunch of hardware synths. Still recording to tape -the old ways are best.....

Re: FAQs for all Atarians

Postby DrJustice » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:58 pm

Oi!

Re. the model info in the FAQ:

I've got a Mega STE 4, and it has a 16MHz CPU with cache - a 68020 IIRC.

Hmmm... And wasn't the (some?) TT's running a 68030 at 32MHz? That's just a vague recollection though...

DJ
--
DrJustice

Postby David Etheridge » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:36 am

Hi folks,
just an update for you.
The Notator website and forum is currently temporarily unavailable,
although Hallvard (the owner) is looking to re-instate it soon.
Until then, any Notator fans can post questions, hints and tips here!!

Check with Tim's Atari MIDIworld and the Atari MIDI users group for further details, and as soon as I hear anything further I'll post it here.

Best wishes,

David.
David Etheridge
Regular
Lots of Ataris which keep on going, 12 Kurzweil 1000 modules, a bunch of hardware synths. Still recording to tape -the old ways are best.....

Postby David Etheridge » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:56 pm

Hi again folks,
here's the current list of editors and soundbanks available on the atari MIDI users group. Choose your synth here!

The list comprises:
Synths and FX units:
Alesis Quadraverb,
Casio CZ and VZ,
Ensoniq ESQ1, SQ80, VFX and Proteus.
Kawai K1, K3, K4, and K5,
Korg DW8000, M1, Wavestation,
Lexicon LXP1/5/15/PCM70 FX units,
Moog Memorymoog,
Oberheim Matrix 6 and 1000,
OSCar,
Kurzweil 1000/1200 series,
Roland JV1080, JX10, JX8, MKS50, SC55, and the former C-lab Explorer prog that edits all the LAS range from the MT32 through the D/U110 and 20 right up to the D50/550,
Yamaha's DX/TX range (obviously!!), and also the TX81Z, TG100, and SY77.

Sampler editors include the Akai 900/950, and Roland S760, 330 and 550 models.

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atari-midi-archives/files

and you'll see what's there.

Of course if anyone knows of other sources for soundbanks, synth editors and more, I'd love to hear about them!

Best wishes,

David.

David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:30 pm

Hi folks,
the notator website is back up and running!

http://www.notator.org

with all the facts, info and free downloads associated with this classic prog.
Please be aware that although it's a free download Notator 3.21 still needs an official dongle to run, so you won't find dodgy hacks here (which never work properly anyway)

So, visit and enjoy!

Best wishes,

David.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby forumuser669739 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:48 am

excellent news David!

Now if only I had a working Atari.
forumuser669739
Regular

Postby Claes » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:48 am

Hi,
Just a small hint about my own website, which has some info about how to get the Falcon working with Cubase Audio - and some other stuff which might be useful from time to time...
http://www.holmerup.com is the address.
Claes

Postby Neo-Classical Guitar Man » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 pm

Thanks Claes for the good info.

NCGM
Neo-Classical Guitar Man
Regular

Footloose and fancy free...gizz a job!

Postby PWGLE » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:10 pm

http://tamw.atari-users.net/gemxplor.zip

This is a great tool, and allows you to read/write Atari formatted disks on Modern PC's.
PWGLE
Regular

Postby grenham » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:35 am

Doesn't work, "file not found" message. Any other sites?
thanks
Lyn
grenham

Postby David Etheridge » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:12 pm

Hi there,
this should work- I've just tried it and the link downloads the prog automatically.
Best wishes,

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby grenham » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:58 am

Great, got it !
thanks
Lyn
grenham

Postby David Etheridge » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:40 pm

Pirate Giant with Laser Eyes wrote:http://tamw.atari-users.net/gemxplor.zip

This is a great tool, and allows you to read/write Atari formatted disks on Modern PC's.

Hi PGWLE (is that right?)
For those who don't already know, Ataris will read DOS formatted disks from your PC, and Mac users can format disks with DOS too that will be read happily by both.
Although I should point out that (relatively) modern Macs from the G3 onwards only support HD disk formatting via a standalone USB disk drive, so you'll either need to use a MegaSTE, which supprts both DD and HD disks, or see if you can get a module fitted to your ST to enable HD disks to be read/formatted. They are available, as I have one fitted to my studio STE.
As usual, Barrie can tell you more about this.
(But yes, you are right Gemexplorer is excellent)

Best wishes,

David.

David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:12 am

Hi again folks,
more news: I found out that my G3 Mac can support DD formatting with an external USB drive, so that works fine. If you're using a Mac with OSX, then you'll need to restart it under OS9 to get all the formatting options and even get it to write to the disk

I've been asked for any other useful addresses for Atari stuff. Here are two:
Analogic computers (http://www.analogic.co.uk) also do repairs and bits and are handy for those of you living in the south east, as they're based in Kingston Upon Thames.
There's also a company called the Atari Workshop (http://www.atari-workshop.co.uk)
who appear to offer a lot, although their prices on secondhand Ataris defy belief!

Barrie is currently moving house, but will be up and running again very soon. My infamous tower system has thrown a wobbly and isn't recognised by my Mega STE, so it's gone to him for a heart transplant on the SCSI card
If I didn't have my Syquest EZ drive I'd be well and truly (deleted)

I'll give you a heads up when he's back up to speed.

Best wishes,

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:42 am

Hi again gang,
Barrie has now moved and will be up and running over the next few days.

Note his new number:
01925-823334.

Best wishes,

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:41 am

Hi folks,
more synth editors to add to your list are Zeus, a librarian program for the Emu Morpheus/Ultraproteus, and a Korg Prophecy bankloader.
go to http://tamw.atari-users.net/joker.htm
and you'll find further details there.

Best wishes,
Dave
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:24 pm

Hi again folks,
just to let you know that there are as of today 992 members of the yahoo atari MIDI forum.

So we're not alone!

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:32 am

Some more info:
Two of the three original Atari Launchpad sites (Frisco and Norway) have been discontinued, so you won't get any results from the mirror sites.
Here's the official and remaining one, courtesy of Hallvard Tangeraas, Notator list owner and all round diamond geezer:
http://launchpad.atari.net.nz

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:57 pm

Here's another useful site:
http://www.atari-forum.com.
This has 1855 users (as of today) and has members that are experts in helping with program details and fixits, particularly if your master disks have been corrupted and aren't freeware or shareware.
Help and advice on all forms of Atari software and hardware from enthusiasts just like us!

Best wishes,
Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:30 pm

As of today, the atari MIDI yahoo group has
1000 members.

who says we're all on our own?

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:44 am

Hi folks,
here's the link to the latest version of Ultimate Virus Killer, which is version 9:
http://www.uvk2000.com/

It's a FREE download

and essential stuff for all Atarians!

Best wishes,
Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:26 am

Hi Gang,
a new posting on the Notator group gives this link:

http://joo.kie.sk/satandisk/

No-it doesn't mean that Atarians have sold their souls!

But it's a new project for using MMC and SD memory cards -up to a whopping 4 GIG instead of existing hard drives

Sounds interesting!!!

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby Neo-Classical Guitar Man » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:42 am

Looks like a good project for my soldering iron to tackle, although not until next year at the soonest (way too much stuff to deal with right now).

I suppose it can be mounted internally without much trouble? Just need to source the parts now.

NCGM - thanks Dave!
Neo-Classical Guitar Man
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:52 am

Hi again folks,
there's more news about Satandisk here:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9975

Looks like it's going to be available very soon!

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:09 pm

...And Satandisk is shipping and the first owners are road testing them now.
Here's this from the Atari Midi users forum:

Satandisk is a Secure Digital and MultiMediaCard adapter for Atari 16-bit
computers, such as the Atari ST. It is out of the pre-production stage and units
have now been shipped to most customers. It is an interface that allows the
connection of an SD or MMC card to be attached to the ACSI (Hard Disc) port of
Atari Computers, and has been tested to be compatible with TOS versions 1.02 to
2.06. The maximum supported size is 4GB. The device appears to the system as any
regular ACSI attached hard disc, and can be formatted and partitioned with AHDI
compatible hard disc utilities.

And this from another happy user:
I tested my new SatanDisk on the weekend and it works just like a hard drive. I am now configuring it to load my programs etc. so I am not running my Notator from the SD yet but expect to be using it later on next week when
I return from a business trip. So far there are no problems. The assembly looks professional. There is no manual to speak of but Jookie has a mini manual on the net. Probably someone� maybe me!- should put together a proper manual to pull together all technical information which is on
Jookie�s web site and the SatanDisk website. One note: You cannot remove the SD card with the system powered. In addition the SatanDisk did not come with a power supply I was under the impression that the SatanDisk would steal
power from the Atari but a 7.5 to 12VDC PSU is required and I had to hunt around to get one.

Thanks to the users group for this one: you can start checking it out or even building your own one (details and FREE schematics on the Satandisk site listed above).

Best wishes,

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 am

Hi folks,
here's another FREE download resource for progs and applications:
http://atari.music.free.fr/

Enjoy!

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:18 pm

...and have a look at this site:
http://atari.nvg.org/

which under the hardware section shows how to adapt an XG soundcard into your Atari!

(some soldering skills and electronic knowledge required )

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby Neo-Classical Guitar Man » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:22 pm

I've seen that soundcard article before I think many years ago, although I am not sure if it only handles MIDI or whether audio sequencing was possible, even if only stereo?

NCGM
Neo-Classical Guitar Man
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:53 pm

I think it's just MIDI only, allowign for full GM stuff without even needing an outboard expander.

Dave
David Etheridge
Regular

Postby David Etheridge » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:52 am

Here are some new hardware upgrade links, courtesy of Neo Classical Guitar Man (for which many thanks):
http://hardware.atari.org/netusbee/netus.htm
http://hardware.atari.org/vids/P1010405.html
http://www.digitalera.co.uk/catalog/Compact_Flash_IDE_Adapters-53-1.html

Dave.
David Etheridge
Regular

Next