You are here

Record what you hear function for iPad... Does it exist?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Record what you hear function for iPad... Does it exist?

Postby Richard Graham » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Just what the question says... Is there an app which can record the combined output of audio apps, so I can then load the recordings into Moog Filtatron or GarageBand?
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."

Re: Record what you hear function for iPad... Does it exist?

Postby Natural Dissolve » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Audiobus to a recording app. I think maybe that's what you want to do.
Natural Dissolve
Poster

Postby Skerrick » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:57 am

maybe DI your ipad into your interface and record it as an L(mono) track.. that way you can get a stereo spread when youve recorded and also yeah you can just record straight into your DAW? dont know if youve tried it but in theory it SHOULD work... most apps can export audio to soundcloud and such though, so you can always export and then download and import the downloaded file into the DAW as well..
Skerrick
Regular

Postby Richard Graham » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Natural Dissolve wrote:Audiobus to a recording app. I think maybe that's what you want to do.

Thanks and sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Yes, AudioBus is the boy!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby Wease » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Audiobus is the boy....but with some caveats....

Not all apps are audiobus compatible...yet, although a lot are making themselves audiobus enabled.

Alternatively one can usually audio paste, which is more clunky, but enables you to paste audio between apps.

I do like audiobus btw, think its really opened up music apps in iOS.
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby alexis » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:57 pm

After perusing the Audiobus site, I couldn't see that it was for anything but the iUniverse.

Is there a PC equivalent, does anyone know?

Thanks!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby Richard Graham » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:17 pm

There used to be a "record what you hear" option on my Creative sound blaster Live! card back when I used Windows 98. I've not really had much call to use something like this on my PC, but when I've needed to, Reaper can do it.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Richard Graham wrote:There used to be a "record what you hear" option on my Creative sound blaster Live! card back when I used Windows 98. I've not really had much call to use something like this on my PC, but when I've needed to, Reaper can do it.

Not so much Reaper as your sound card and its driver. If it's offered to the system as an input option, any application should be able to choose it.

"What you hear" is often disabled on today's computers. It makes it too easy to record streamed audio from e.g. BBC iPlayer or Spotify. They lie to the performers: "The punters can only hear it for a limited period, there's no way to record it!" Complete b***ocks of course. If you can hear it you can record it. Sometimes an earlier driver version is available that turns it on again.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Goddard » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:33 am

For inter-application audio (or even "audio copy and paste") to work under iOS, the particular apps must be coded to support it.

In addition to Audiobus there is also a Jack app for iOS.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby alexis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks, Richard Graham and Exalted Wombat. With your help I found a site that explains how the pc version of "record what you hear", but so as not to dilute this iPad thread w/ pc stuff too much, I put it in the right forum.

Thanks again!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby Richard Graham » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
Richard Graham wrote:There used to be a "record what you hear" option on my Creative sound blaster Live! card back when I used Windows 98. I've not really had much call to use something like this on my PC, but when I've needed to, Reaper can do it.

Not so much Reaper as your sound card and its driver. If it's offered to the system as an input option, any application should be able to choose it.

"What you hear" is often disabled on today's computers. It makes it too easy to record streamed audio from e.g. BBC iPlayer or Spotify. They lie to the performers: "The punters can only hear it for a limited period, there's no way to record it!" Complete b***ocks of course. If you can hear it you can record it. Sometimes an earlier driver version is available that turns it on again.

Well that's just it, it isn't explicitly offered as any kind of input option as far as I can tell, but there does seem to be some kind of routing trick that works inside good old Reaper. I've done it on a couple of machines with the bog-standard Realtek type onboard audio. But i dont remember how i did it, only that i didnt have to go to to the audio drivers page. Sorry for being vague!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster