You are here

Android security software? Avast, Malwarebytes ...

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Android security software? Avast, Malwarebytes ...

Postby alexis » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi - What, if any, security software are you guys using on your Android phones? Any good (or bad :frown: ) experiences?

Thanks!
alexis
Frequent Poster
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: Android security software? Avast, Malwarebytes ...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:59 am

I use no specific security software on my Android but I am extremely conservative about the software I install on it. Thus far, having had an S3 previously for a couple of years, and a galaxy before that for another couple of years (going backwards), and the S5 (currently) for a year or more, no problems have arisen.

I'm much the same with my computers. I have never had a virus, or malware infection to my knowledge - oh, apart from that ghost virus I got on my Atari ST once in 1989 which made my mouse cursor work backwards. I've had to clean up plenty of relatives' computers that have been infected but they do click on the stupidest things and open random attachments from strangers at the drop of a hat.

Androids. They are phones. Use them as such, don't install random crud. Call people. Text people. Photograph something now and again, maybe a bit of video. Leave it at that. I play Word Hero (I'm 'Dreamflight', in Platinum league) but that's about it apart from the flashlight app. You should be fine.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying there are no zero-day attacks that could theoretically screw you. But if you get hit by one, a) it's a pretty serious attack, and b) it's extremely unlikely.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
The  man cave and some resulting works.

Postby alexis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks, Eddy.

I wound up putting Malwarebytes Mobile on there. I don't do any thing like banking on the phone, but still visiting some websites that could be higher risk (sports, youtube, Vimeo/Vine, and the like), I felt vulnerable, even without going to silly high risk sites.

At least I *feel* safer now, isn't that what it's all about? :D
alexis
Frequent Poster
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby tea for two » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:37 am

Sorry Alexis I should replied.

Lookout & Avast i install.
Additionally once a month I reset my Android, wiping everything.

I transact send money from my Android, I have dual security where a security code is sent to my £10 "dumb" phone.

Ghostery browser i use whenever I have to login : for instance SoS.

Installing Apps from Google Play is fine.
Installing apps from Non Google Play ie. via jail broken Android can ask for trouble.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose is unique to us, just as meaning of our life is unique to us. There is no universal purpose. There is no universal meaning of life. 

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:46 am

tea for two wrote:

That is SERIOUSLY paranoid! Respect! :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby tea for two » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:43 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:
tea for two wrote:

That is SERIOUSLY paranoid! Respect! :-)

:bouncy:

Only because I send payments through my Android.
It is my main surfing, apping device : Evernote most frequently.

(iPad for music , Windows tablet for work).
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose is unique to us, just as meaning of our life is unique to us. There is no universal purpose. There is no universal meaning of life. 

Postby RDaniels » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:08 am

I didnt know there is an Android version of Malwarebytes. I use it on my Windows computer but not on Android. It is not a security program though, rather it is a scanner.
RDaniels
New here

Postby artzmusic » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:45 pm

No anti-malware apps on my Android tablet. As I understand it, if you install only trustworthy apps there should be no problem.

And for financial transactions, I've been taking credit card payments through Square for some time without a problem. (The only problem is I need more transactions ;) )

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby jlahtela » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:46 am

Hi,

I use Webroot (https://www.webroot.com/) In my all devices.

Fast and lightweight... It uses "new way of identifying" harmful programs it do not relay on "signatures of files", as usual virus controls do, but it checks checksum from could... And this way it is much faster. Also however it works on without Internet connection.

Also computer version can restore files even from unknown crypto locker virus.

I recommend to check it out.
jlahtela
Poster
Paradoxical Production

Postby RDaniels » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:22 pm

artzmusic wrote:No anti-malware apps on my Android tablet. As I understand it, if you install only trustworthy apps there should be no problem.

And for financial transactions, I've been taking credit card payments through Square for some time without a problem. (The only problem is I need more transactions ;) )

Rick

I can't help but agree with you man. It is up to the user. So long as you install legit programs, I don't think you'll get infected.
RDaniels
New here

Postby GearSounds » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 am

I'm just careful what I download but I do sometimes run a VPN on public wifi. Not always (just lazy) but depends where I am etc. There's some reviews here https://securethoughts.com/3-best-vpns-android/ but I personally use HideMyAss.
GearSounds
New here

Postby Alizeh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 pm

I have used Avast's malware protection but it wasn't as good as that of some other apps I reviewed, but many of its best features are stand-alone. When it comes to security on Android, you never can be too safe.
Alizeh
no regrets in life just lessons learned.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:22 pm

try free edition first

Postby radian » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm

You're more likely to be victim to a man-in-the-middle attack on some dodgy public wifi than be affected by anything getting on to the device, as long as you don't install random .apks off the web.
radian

Postby otisgrimes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:06 am

Avast. :thumbup:
otisgrimes