You are here

Sansamp Liverpool or Vox Tonelab?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Sansamp Liverpool or Vox Tonelab?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 am

Anyone used a Sansamp Liverpool? I'm thinking of a getting an outboard amp sim that does a good Vox sound and have been thinking about the Sansamp Liverpool and the Tonelab by Vox (which obviously gives you all the other stuff too, not necessarily a good thing in my book!). But which is gives the more realistic classic Vox AC15/AC30 sound?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

A goal without a plan is just a wish

Re: Sansamp Liverpool or Vox Tonelab?

Postby _ Six _ » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:15 am

I haven't tried the Sansamp but I did have a Tonelab and didn't like it.

The new POD HD 500 has some beautiful tones and the Vox sim is particularly good.
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby valves4ever » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:27 pm

I've used Sansamp products in the past....Classic Preamp Stompbox and the Bass Di and found them to be very good and well designed.....no frills, just did the job....I've had a Tonelab and moved it on fairly quickly, ok but just another unit offering the world and failing to deliver anything outstanding....I've started keeping my requirements sounds wise under control in quantity and concentrating on dedicated units that undertake just specific tasks but with authority and quality......I don't need 999 different effects and programmes and just find the multi units too much really...
valves4ever
Regular

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:17 pm

999 different effects and programmes
Agreed, hence my comments in my op. What were the downsides with the Tonelab though?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

Postby buggymusic » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 pm

not much wrong the tonelab - sounds better than line6 stuff in most cases IMO - it gets on the edge of breakup sounds quite well/
buggymusic
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:40 am

Well. I have a ToneLab and a SansAmp (classic, not the Liverpool). Problem is that I've not owned a genuine Vox since my first amp more than 30 years ago (and that was for bass) - so I can't answer your original question as to which sounds closest.

If I was recording I'd probably go to my ToneLab first because;

I think that the sounds are perfectly usable.
There is a great variety of sounds on offer (I like the Fender models as well as the Vox).
It's easy to use if you have the software editor.

I typically use the on board effects to help me find the sound that I'm after but knock them off before I record and add plug ins later.

The Sans Amp is nice and I like to use it from time to time as it requires a different approach to getting a sound but, if I had to choose one, it would be the Vox.

Chris
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:30 pm

Been checking out the POD HD sounds online and they do sound strikingly real--I got rid of my original pod years ago as it never really cracked it for me but this new one does sound stunning at first hear. ANd they've just brought out the 'bean' desktop version too, albeit at a VERY pricey £300 odd. For which you can get a really nice valve AC15 s/h!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:55 am

The Liverpool is my go-to clean and breakup choice. It sounds great, and is refreshingly simple and focused. You'll get more bang for your buck with POD or similar, I just happen to like the no-frills approach and rock solid construction.
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby 4TrackMadman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:16 am

I haven't heard the Sansamp but I might throw you a curve ball by suggesting the HT-Dual by Blackstar as the clean channel on dirty gets some very convincing AC30 sounds as far as I am concerned.

The Tonelab is good as well. I've played with the older modeler (the big board now discontinued) and it got very close to the real thing.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 am

The Liverpool is my go-to clean and breakup choice. It sounds great, and is refreshingly simple and focused. You'll get more bang for your buck with POD or similar, I just happen to like the no-frills approach and rock solid construction

Yep, that's exactly why it got on my short list.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

Postby ChromeDome » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:18 pm

I've got the Tech21 Liverpool pedal and I like it a lot. I don't actually use it very much - I generally go through a PODxt at home just because of the reverb/compression etc.

I keep hold of it just in case I ever need to play live again (unlikely) when I reckon it would sound great through a small power amp and my lightweight 1x12 cab, giving a variety of AC tones without the weight or volume of the original or the potential complexities of a modeller onstage.

One thing to be aware of is that the controls are very interactive and even a slight tweak can make the sound very different. Probably not a problem when recording but might be difficult if you want to make changes on-the-fly when playing live.

PS: Loving the Noggin icon! It was my favourite programme as a young lad and it's still quite magical now. Thankfully, I'm not quite as scared of Nogbad the Bad as I used to be.
ChromeDome
Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:42 am

Yep, finally plumped for one, on order as we speak. I see they've just launched a new one, too, where you can defeat the speaker out--presumably to encourage people to use with an amp live etc.

Noggin was my fave as a kid too! Recently bought the complete set of progs on dvd. If you haven't got it, get it!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster