You are here

Brian May Special

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Brian May Special

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi

Anybody got any experience (or opinions) on these Brian May Special ?

I've got around £600 to spend (my 'free' portion of this years bonus). I don't need another guitar, the ones that I've got cover pretty well all bases but this has caught my eye. At the moment I'm torn between my US Strat and my Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro. The Eggle plays the best, is nice and small and is quite versatile - but the (locking) trem is a bit 'clunky' plus it's quite an expensive guitar to gig with (ok, that's not a good argument. "I can't afford to risk damaging an expensive guitar, I'll shell out another £500 for a cheaper one instead" ). The Strat is a workhorse, plays well but is longer scale and bigger body. Obviously the true single coil sounds better than the split coil on the Eggle for single coil but doesn't do the humbucker bit. Trem is great and very stable. Slight niggle is that I tend to catch the selector switch whilst playing but that's just bad technique on my part.

What I like about the Brian May is the short scale length / compact size. 2 Point trem and the fact that the pick up selection is via sliders. Add to this it's a bit different and its got me thinking.

I'm finding it tricky to locate one locally to try but I'm down in London next week with a couple of free hours if anybody knows where I can find one.

Has anybody actually played one?

Cheers

Chris
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Re: Brian May Special

Postby SparkyG » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi mate

I have one.
Here are my experiences, I've played it at home and gigged it (twice see negatives)

Negatives:
Weight balance, mine is way neck heavy and gigging it is impossible

Zero fret, clicks like mad when I bend the G string, drives me mad

You need a bespoke rig, it is nowhere near as powerful in terms of output as my strat, my PRS or any of my Suhrs, so the rig needs to be matched to the guitar.

Positives:
Tuning stability is good
You can get the Brian May sound
Versatile in terms of sounds but see above
Build quality is good for a £500 guitar, finish on frets is ok.

I got mine as a 40 th birthday present otherwise I would have sold it.

Hope that helps
SparkyG
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

The balance would be an issue since this would be a gigging guitar. I'll be sure to check it on the strap assuming that I can find one (most places don't appear to hold stock). I'll also take care with the other points you raise. Since I'm not buying this as some sort of tribute if it doesn't meet all my needs I won't be buying.

Chris
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Well, I actually managed to get my paws on one to try today.

I was bitterly disappointed. Not by the quality of the instrument but but by the fact that as soon as I picked it up I knew that it wasn't for me. The neck just didn't suit me at all. I was also able to try a BJ & Byrne Apollo which I've tried and liked in the past. Very close to a sale but I just can't see me using it that much.

Oh well, the search goes on. Hopefully I can try some Parkers out in the next couple of weeks.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby SparkyG » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:57 am

Wolf

If you can, try pout a Suhr. They are not cheap but they are the best guitars I have ever played. I spec'd out my main gigging guitar, and it can cover anything. It knocks my Fender custom shop and my PRS for six. They really are great. Mine is sec'd H-S-H with ability to split each hum bucker so really versatile. I play in a covers duo with over 200 songs in all genres and I can get away with the one guitar.

Worth a look, talk to John at Peach guitars.

Good look in your quest lol.
SparkyG
Regular

Postby DoItAgain » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:15 am

I'm not surprised you didn't get on with the Brian May guitar. I've only ever done a setup on one but the neck is definitely an acquired taste.

Your mention of 'compact' being a good thing makes me think of MusicMan.
DoItAgain
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:32 am

I'm starting to cool on the idea of getting another guitar at all.

When I got back from London I picked up the Eggle and thought - tough act to beat.

I hold onto the money for now. If a great guitar comes along I can be ready. If it doesn't then a new acoustic amp may be on the list.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:32 pm

ok. Walked in to Sounds Great (Manchester) today and walked out the happy owner of a Parker DF624 guitar. I've had my eye on this for a while although it was more than twice the original budget. I'd convinced myself to just stick with the guitars that I'd got but there was no way that I was going to purchase anything else until I'd tried this. As soon as I picked it up it felt right. I've lowered the action a little and it'll need a new set of strings after rehearsals tonight but it already feels good. Will probably take me a little while to get used to the lack of markings on the fretboard and my sounds will no doubt need a few tweaks.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster