You are here

Guitar Pedals into a Mixer

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Guitar Pedals into a Mixer

Postby Rave On » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:24 am

Hello,

I have been playing a ME-70 directly into my PA mixer and have been very happy with the basic tone but not the effects. This has lead me to re-discover individual effect pedals and I'm very pleased to learn they are not as noisy as in decades past.

My question has to do with order of effects into the mixer. My basic tone will come from a Tech 21 Blonde or a Boss Fender modeller. Where would this pedal best come in the chain? Following are my thoughts:

Blonde (Tone and Distortion)
Tremolo
Mod (Phaser or Chorus)
Delay
Reverb

I know there are no rules. I want to start with a basic, classic sort of setup. I'm not looking for experimental sounds just yet. My confustion stems from the idea that it I were using a guitar amp instead of the pedal modeller, the effects would be first. The order would also change if the amp had an FX loop. Anyway, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Joe
Rave On
Regular

Re: Guitar Pedals into a Mixer

Postby ef37a » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:02 am

Hi Joe,
I am no guitarist but the mixer will have an "FX" loop! Usual I think to put reverb, chorus type FX in that and overdrive in the front end but then often the OD pedal is there to boot the drive up into a lower gain amp and that is not relavent to driving a mixer line in.

Note too that the chorus/ reverb pedals often have a second stereo output. That can be fed to another mixer channel to good effect.

If the mods permit (again!) Talk to the gitmad guys at www.musicradar.com

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Hi

I have both a Tech21 pedal (original Sansamp) and a Boss FDR-1 pedal. My Tech21 has a speaker simulator but I pretty sure that the Boss doesn't which means that you may need to use something like (and be warned, I'm about to use the 'B' word) - a Behringer GI100 DI box / speaker simulator. Of course there's no right or wrong so if you like the sound of a pedal direct to a desk then that's fine.

I'd try the trem / mod before and after the pedal to see which works best. The FDR-1 includes both trem and reverb of course.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:07 am

Put a H&K Redbox simulator in the end of the chain for real speaker emulation, a lot better than the Behringer rubbish. Here's a link to a review if you'd be interested to read up on it:

http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/redbox/hughesandkettnerredbox.htm
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Rave On » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:58 am

Thanks to all. Very useful and I appreciate you took the time.
Rave On
Regular