You are here

Cardboard box for acoustic guitar

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Cardboard box for acoustic guitar

Postby alfredo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Sold a Yammy electro acoustic on ebay recently and I'm in the usual quandary of finding a box for it.

Nothing doing from ringing round the local guitar shops, so I was wondering whether anybody knew any courier-proof off the shelf cardboard boxes that would be suitable. Probably needs to be about 1100mm long, 450mm wide and 200mm deep.

Any thoughts?
alfredo
Regular

Re: Cardboard box for acoustic guitar

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:41 pm

sorry, but really, there is no such thing as a courier proof cardboard box......

(i used to be a dealer, i've had more than my fair share of instruments i had to return due to transit damage... )

even hard cases aren't bullet proof. (although the decent ones like Hiscox will survive pretty much any courier.... )

in the absence of a proper hard case
all you can really do is wrap it up in bubble wrap, maybe brace it with a length of timber taped along the front, (right across the body, not just the neck, ) and then put it in a box, making sure it is stuffed with more packaging , bubble wrap, and additional cardboard layers front and back, so it cannot move around inside, then insure it for it's replacement value at new prices, and send it...
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster

Postby Frisonic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:02 pm

My local guitar shop recently showed me a very expensive guitar that had been imported in a top quality flight case that had had a fork lift truck's lifting prong right through it. Nobody was ever going to play that guitar again!

I'd talk to the courier firm and ask for their advice. At least if you follow it and something nasty happens they will be even more culpable.
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Still strictly project but lately on the run.

Postby DAGGILARR » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:20 pm

When I had to do this I kind of created a box out of much bigger boxes lots of parcel tape and stanley knifing involved , I wrapped the guitar in loads of bubble wrap and slid a sheet of ply, about 6mm stuff front and back, to make it more rigid increased the weight but got it from Devon to Scotland in one piece, Twas a 60's Harmony Sovereign in need of TLC
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Postby alfredo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. In the end I was rescued by my local guitar tech who had a huge, thick Fender acoustic bass box hanging around. 400 yards of bubble wrap and an hour and a half of cutting thick cardboard struts with a blunt Stanley knife later, and I reckon you could have driven a tank over it. Not a real tank, of course...
alfredo
Regular