You are here

reamping

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

reamping

Postby iceman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55 pm

hi guys! just trying to get this straight in my head im looking to do some instrumental metal work with me on drums and a friend on guitar, he has recently purchased guitar rig so havent recently seen a few you tube videos about reamping am i right in thinking it goes

guitar-interface (motu 828 mk3 in this case)- into guitar rig, from guitar rig to motu outputs into guitar amp head peavey 6505 in this case.. is that right or am i way off the mark?? also live he uses a pod xt pro and a BBE sonic maximizer should we ditch all that or does it go in the chain somewhere???

many thanks for any advice/tips!!

jon
iceman
Regular

as metal as your nanna`s new hip

Re: reamping

Postby ryan mead » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:20 am

Hi jon!

Have you seen this, this, and this?

You're off the mark in that re-amping typically doesn't involve first processing a signal using an amp simulator (in your case, Guitar Rig) and then feeding the processed signal into a real amp.

The essence of re-amping is simply to record the unprocessed DI'd guitar sound (typically alongside a mic'd cabinet), so that later you can do what you like with it.

If your friend uses the XT Pro when he plays live, then I would suggest that he use that when you record together. I note it has a connection labeled "unprocessed guitar out" on the back of it. Feed that into a line level input (not the instrument input) of your Motu and record it, on a separate track to the processed signal from the main outs of the Pod. (There's some helpful words in the Pod manual about this.)

Then if you later decide you're unhappy with the processed Pod signal, you also have the unprocessed signal, which you could process using Guitar Rig (or the Pod on another setting, or the Peavey head + a cab + a microphone).

Hope this isn't too unclear,
ryan
ryan mead
Frequent Poster

Postby iceman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:13 pm

hi Ryan!! thx for the ointers will defo check all that out

jon
iceman
Regular

as metal as your nanna`s new hip

Postby Tony Raven » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:58 am

Yah, what he said. I'm a sporadic soloist at best, & it sux to actually pull off a great bit, then think "Damn!! I wish I'd run thru the other amp!!"
Tony Raven
Regular
resident troublemaker, http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/