You are here

Zoom G9 or HD 500

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Zoom G9 or HD 500

Postby Dicko » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:01 am

I want to buy one of the above for recording crunch/punk stuff on the PC.
Which one would be best though?
I can't use an amp and cab.
I don't want to use software.
Dicko
Regular

Re: Zoom G9 or HD 500

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:23 am

Dicko wrote:I want to buy one of the above for recording crunch/punk stuff on the PC.
Which one would be best though?
I can't use an amp and cab.
I don't want to use software.

Neither, although the HD500 is of better sonic quality than the G9: I'd go for the Line6 M13, a friend plays in an excellent punk/nu-wave tribute, The Undercocks, and he uses the M13 to good effect.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby Gary_W » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:48 pm

I can't say which to go for from the models you've given unfortunately, but I can say that the M13 recommended above is unlikely to suit your use model.... It is a stomp-box modeller and is therefore designed to be used in front of an amp. There is no amp modelling and no cabinet modelling in the M13 http://line6.com/m13/faq.html

As you don't wish to use an amp or other software on your computer, it's unlikely to sound too clever....
Gary_W
Regular

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:38 pm

for live use WITH an Amp, the G9 is rather good.... but asa recording device, it sucks....

whereas the Pod stuff is rather handy both ways..... so in your particular scenario, i'd probably go with the HD500

(i note, i have a G9.2tt in my LIVE rig now.... it's really quite good, but i DO use it with an amp.... and it's purpose is to approximate the use of studio FX with my amp providing the core sound whereas when i am recording parts in to the computer, just as a guitar scratch pad, i use a POD XT..... as it's better at that...... but when i record "properly' i use just the amp..... then add fx after.... )
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:41 pm

I think the Vox Tonelab range will do a lot better in this department than the two mentioned.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Gary_W » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:37 am

4TrackMadman wrote:I think the Vox Tonelab range will do a lot better in this department than the two mentioned.

I still have one of the ToneLab SE's which I've had for years. I had a Pod XT live at the same time. The XT live got sold.... Whilst the XT had a whole bunch more options and had more modern connectivity (USB whereas the PC tweaks on the ToneLab were via a midi cable) the ToneLab was better at the crunch / just breaking up tones. The crazy high gain stuff and all of the back end effects (delays etc) on the XT were better but for good, working cleans and crunches I preferred the ToneLab.

Of course ymmv and I'm not comparing apples with apples - the Pod HDs use completely different modelling vs the old xt i had andthey seem to have realised that most folks are happy with a few fabulous sims rather than 78 that are not so great.... The HDs seem well reviewed and if I needed a modeller to take out I'd certainly check one out.
Gary_W
Regular

Postby rukie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Id go for the HD500 loved the distortions and amp sims on that multi
rukie