You are here

thinking of getting a new multi effx

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

thinking of getting a new multi effx

Postby Dave71 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:54 am

I have an old digitech GNX2 but as i havent really played much over the eyears has just sat gathering dust. Now i am playing a bit i have found the gnx to be..........crap.

I really struggle to get a decent tone and when switching between patches i get a split second audio dropout. the tuner is poor, wah is poor

basically im unhappy.

i use a vox valvetronix 30w (small pub gigs & micing up if req) and im very happy with some of the sounds i get from the amp on its own. trouble is i use guite a few effx for paricular tracks and need a floor box

i want something very easy to program as i cant fire up at home on full vol and may need to tweak at sound check

what do you use if any?

track examples

free - All right now, manics - you stole the sun from my heart, Ocean colour scene - riverboat song, kaise cheifs - ruby

guitars used
strat, les paul, acoustic
Dave71
Regular
Why, when I started to play bass, did my wife leave me for a drummer?

Re: thinking of getting a new multi effx

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:44 pm

regrettably, i've found that nothing that sounds GOOD, is really all that easy to programme.

on my recent search to replace my old and dying early 90's Zoom 8080 Multi FX pedal.... i tried out a lot of things.... not finding myself happy with anything (well, there was this TC thing, but at over a grand,..... a bit steep for a non professional application )

eventually i went for another zoom, the G9.2tt , as it had lots of expressive potential with 3 real time controllers, and good clean sounds.... with plenty of flexibility.... and did what i wanted, the way i wanted, and sounded good doing it...
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Off duty BBQ lighter AKA Idris wrote:regrettably, i've found that nothing that sounds GOOD, is really all that easy to programme.

Having spent the day battling with my TC Nova I'm inclined to agree. I use the Nova in the effects loop of my Blackstar combo so I don't use the TC's analogue drive section (which is quite nice and, ironically, one of the main reasons for choosing it). MIDI out on the Nova into VoodooLabs switcher so that selecting a patch from the Nova can also change channels on the Blackstar.

Once it's set up it's pretty easy to tweak but it's excruciating to set up in the first place.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby scw » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:23 pm

I use a Fractal Audio AxeFx Ultra. No complaints from me.

Stewart
scw
Regular

Postby uphillbothways » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Probably the most straightforward product on the market is the Zoom G3. For better and for worse, it's just like using three stompboxes. You can't create the complex effects chains you could on a more sophisticated unit, but neither do you have to dick about in menus to get a noise out of it. If you don't need amp simulation, the Line 6 Stompbox Modellers are a more sophisticated implementation of the same concept.
uphillbothways
Regular

Postby Gary_W » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi,

With the track examples you've given, I can only really think of a bit of wah and overdrive in there - do forgive me if my brain is missing a bit!

But if you're happy with the tone of your amp, I have to agree with the previous poster and say 'stompbox modeller' or even go back to good old fashioned stomp boxes.

I rarely play live, but the floor box I've got is a Carl Martin Quatro http://www.carlmartin.com/product%20quattro.htm. Dead simple - it does delay, trem (later versions replaced trem with chorus), a compressor / clean boost and 2 flavours of overdrive. No programming involved as it's a completely analogue beast. An eBay Vox Wah and a home made fuzz pedal and I'm about done. But that's me and I quite realise your needs will differ.

Bad news is they are around £400 new for very few effects. I was an eBay £160 winner and love it, but (having just got a nice little valve amp) I was keen to keep everything analogue prior to squirting it into the amp. Call me old fashioned. And you'd be right.

Reason I mention it is purely to ask you to think 'what effects do I REALLY use live?'..... If you really do use everything, all power to your elbow I've been through all the line 6's and, for me, the only time I used the different phasers and flangers and multi-ping pong delays was when I first opened the box and thought how cool it was. And then failed to do anything with them Of course, YMMV on this but I think most of the boxes out there only have about 10% of their abilities used and that's why a lot of folks prefer stomp boxes - you are then paying for a top quality thing that you'll use as opposed to 98 things in a box of which you'll use 5.

All IMO of course
Gary_W
Regular

Postby Mister Natural » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:32 am

M-Audio Black Box & hava nice day
Mister Natural
Regular

the digital photo of that guitar just doesn't have the same warmth as the analog one https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Postby Dave71 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:21 pm

thanks for all the input. ive been using line 6 gear on my PC for ages and "thought" an xt live would be great. I had one on demo (s/h) for a day and was dissapointed

maybe my laptop, toneport and some sort of midi controller.....nah

Wah is a must and i may get a seperate. back to amp and footswitch for now. Its only when i convince the rest of the band to be a bit more adventurous would i need to go a bit further.
Dave71
Regular
Why, when I started to play bass, did my wife leave me for a drummer?

Postby 4TrackMadman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

I'd actually suggest a secondhand Boss GT-6, GT-8 or GT-10 and run that in the 4 cable configuration both in the preamp and fx loop.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Mark Henry » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 pm

I think of Zoom G3. If you need an expression pedal, you can add one. The $30 M-Audio EX-P works.
Mark Henry
Poster