You are here

Lightweight stick style electric guitar

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Lightweight stick style electric guitar

Postby Tristan Jove » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi y'all.
I am a singer who plays lead electric guitar, but not much rhythm or accompliment. For live work I want a very light, stick type instrument that I can throw over my back while I sing unencumbered, and then pull forward for my solos. I see that Steinberger make one, but this looks like a budget model, specifically designed for travelling.
Are there any quality models out there that anyone knows of?

I've just found the Steinberger SS-2F Synapse, this looks alright except that is doesn't have a whammy bar!

Thanks,
Tristan.
Tristan Jove
Regular

Re: Lightweight stick style electric guitar

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Tristan Jove wrote:Hi y'all.
I am a singer who plays lead electric guitar, but not much rhythm or accompliment. For live work I want a very light, stick type instrument that I can throw over my back while I sing unencumbered, and then pull forward for my solos. I see that Steinberger make one, but this looks like a budget model, specifically designed for travelling.
Are there any quality models out there that anyone knows of?

I've just found the Steinberger SS-2F Synapse, this looks alright except that is doesn't have a whammy bar!

Thanks,
Tristan.

That can't have the original trem then as the idea was that the cut-away back end was specifically for the Steinberger bridge (which had a trem). The Steinberger Spirit range was the best of that bunch, certainly better than the Hohner variety, and the passive EMG HZ pickups aren't too bad considering.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Let me first declare that I am not a guitarist!

Now that's over...

I have a blue, larger bodied 'Spirit by Steinberger' guitar that gets a lot of love from visiting guitarists, to the point where I've had several offers for it. I bought it because I was after one of the 'stick' type Hohner copies for ease of use in my diminutive studio, but this came up at the right price at the right time. It doesn't have much in the way of chunky low end, but it seems very playable - great for the money.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Octopussy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Those stick style guitars can be every bit as heavy as regular guitars.
Octopussy
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Octopussy wrote:Those stick style guitars can be every bit as heavy as regular guitars.

As a singer / guitarist I also find the weight of the guitar has an impact on my singing. My Parker Dragonfly DF624 weighs in at 5lbs in old money which is 1.2lb less than the Steinberger. Unfortunately its also twice the price.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Octopussy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:43 pm

It would be easy to design guitars that are neck heavy. There needs to be some weight to the body of a guitar just to counter balance it to sit right whilst performing. The Parker Nightfly design has taken some of the unnecessary weight from the headstock so that the body can weight less too. Smart design.
Octopussy
Regular

Postby Tony Raven » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:25 am

Unsure whether it's the weight or the form-factor you're hoping primarily for. IME, lightweight solid-body guitars lose a lot of the resonance that gives sustain, not to mention richness of tone.

A couple years back, on a lark, I bought a Ministar:
http://ministarguitars.net/
My "Castar" checks in at maybe four pounds, a significant fraction of that from the two steel strap-rods -- personally speaking, these are too long, & you could readily chop off a few inches. The "Testar" is one pickup lighter, & the "Microstar" is a short-scale with one pickup.

The brand has suffered from being sold as a "travel" or "student" guitar. Actually, it's one of the better $200 electric guitars I've played, & can often be found closer to $100. The openwork headstock adds a surprising amount of acoustic resonance. Though the vibrato is... um, unique, it responds very nicely. The guitar plays & sounds good right from the box. Being one piece of wood, it could probably survive use as a bat -- cricket, baseball, or self-defense -- & still be ready for a gig.

Newer models add a pound with an onboard amplifier. While I like the idea for a warmup/practice axe, it strikes me as otherwise superfluous complication.
Tony Raven
Regular
resident troublemaker, http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/