You are here

Mystery pickup

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Mystery pickup

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:13 pm

A few years ago I bought a box of guitar pedals and other bits and bobs in an auction. I was clearing up the other day and found this pickup, which came in the box, and is obviously designed to sit in a soundhole. I'd forgotten all about it, but now I'm curious as to what it is. It looks a little like the DeArmond or Teisco 'gold foil' pickups but has no maker's name or any other writing. It sounds surprisingly good. Anyone know?

Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster

Re: Mystery pickup

Postby zenguitar » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:59 pm

There's good news and bad news I'm afraid Sam...

The good news is that I have seen these before and had my hands on one. Last time was about 8 years ago, and it was identical to the one you have. But there was no makers name, model, or serial number on it. Not only that, but I also saw the identical model in the catalogue of one of the big distributors. So it was still available and in production then. Don't be tempted to take it apart, it's quite primitive inside. Quite a small coil, wound without any bobbin if memory serves correct.

The bad news is that I can't find it in any of the old lists I still have. My gut feeling is that it was either John Hornby Skewes or Stentor that carried it. It definitely wasn't Pincotts, AllParts, or Aria...

But I am pretty confident it was something made for one of the big distributors and probably made in Eastern Europe for them by the look of the parts and construction.

Hope that helps

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Re: Mystery pickup

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks Andy,

That sounds entirely plausible. I quite like it, in a raw sort of a way!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster