You are here

simple vol boost for solo's

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

simple vol boost for solo's

Postby Dave71 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Quick question for an ageing git.

Just bought a budget s/h marshall MG100DFX for messing about with a bunch of mates (some would call it rehearsals) and im finding i need a simple vol boost for the occasional solo (used to use a old digitech multi effx board) I use both clean & distorted and switch using footswitch but some tracks i need clean - distortion & a small boost

not looking for more drive just a simple vol lift. I tried using a vol pedal but lost to much gain when backing off

EQ pedal or something like

Cheers
Dave71
Regular
Why, when I started to play bass, did my wife leave me for a drummer?

Re: simple vol boost for solo's

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:44 pm

Boss GE-7 is pretty good at this sort of thing. Robust, not too noisey and not that sore on batteries.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Jack Ruston » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:14 am

You will always get more drive because even a totally clean boost pushes the front of the amp harder. It's like winding the gain up. J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:39 am

Roll your guitar volume back to 6 or 7 and then set your amp settings for that. When you need more oomph for a solo, turn the guitar up to 10.

Simple, effective, and free.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby Jay Menon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:08 am

Put a volume boost pedal of whatever nature you like in the (serial) effects loop. A simple graphic eq set flat, but with a volume boost works beautifully.

That will not overdrive the front end of your amp, though it will get you a little more output stage distortion.
Jay Menon
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 am

I have just downloaded the handbook for the MG100DFX and I am suprised that in all the FX and channel switching it offers there is not the potential for a solo boost?

That said, if you cannot do it that way I would go for Jays suggestion, a pedal in the FX loop but with a qualification. Do not set for a simple "all frequency boost" instead push the mids up, 1-5-3kH a few dBs, that extra "bite" should make you stand out.

There is however a general flaw in the solo boost idea. Many players are already close to the amplifiers' limit and there is nowhere for a boost to go except into more distortion which often defeats the object of the excercise turning everything to mush. Remember, to get even a bit noticeably
louder you need an SPL hike of at least 6dB and that is 4times the power into the speaker.

I would hope tho' for all the ears concerned you are not pushing that 100watter that hard? Solid state it might be but a good 100W transistor should be on a par with a good 30watt valve jobbie and them's loud enough!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby 4TrackMadman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:30 am

I'd say fx loop and put in an overdrive with gain rolled off, eq pedal or simple volume booster like the MXR Microamp boost pedal.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave71 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks for the replies

Im not in death metal mode to start with so there is pleanty of headroom on the gain side of things without pushing it.

master vol is a mere third and even if we do a gig its only in a small local pub. tried rolling the guitar vol back a bit with no joy, hence i tried the vol pedal.

Going to borrow an eq and have a play

Cheers
Dave71
Regular
Why, when I started to play bass, did my wife leave me for a drummer?

Postby dylantermos » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:18 pm

You could try running a line between an output of your amp and a line in on the PA. An on off switch will bring the extra you need through the PA system. Used to work for me.
dylantermos
Poster

Postby Bakerman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Boss LS2 plus lots of versatility.
Bakerman
Poster

Postby grab » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:24 am

Find a volume pedal where you can set the lower stop to not-completely-off. Any digital FX will do this, but you may not want to go that way. Googling quickly, the Morley PVO+ has a minimum setting, but I'm sure there's others out there.
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Bakerman wrote:Boss LS2 plus lots of versatility.

The LS2 has got to be one of the most versatile pedals of all time. As well as allowing you to switch between two level settings it also allows you to bring in other effects, such as delay, for the solos.

If you only need different levels then something like this would do the trick (unfortunately discontinued but I'm sure there are other versions out there).

Chris
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster