You are here

Clip on tuners

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Clip on tuners

Postby Lala » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 am

Hi,

Just looking for a little advice from anyone who uses a clip on tuner like the Korg AW2 or similar.

I've never used one, my Korg DT-3 has served me well for many years but I'm now playing many songs in many different tunings and was wondering how well these clip on tuners work in noisy locations or even outside (big family bbq coming up this summer), are they accurate and can they cope with all manner of tunings ?

Additionally, is the display very bright, I'm thinking how easy is it to read if playing outside and lastly, it's going to be used with an expensive handmade acoustic, so the clip on grip absolutely must not mark the headstock - are they soft but firm in the grip department !?!

Many thanks for any advice.

Nick
Lala
Poster

Re: Clip on tuners

Postby buggymusic » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 am

korg make the best clip on tuners IMO - most accurate and less thrown out by harmonics - they don't seem over robust although I have had no issues in pracice... also they work well on mandolins, 12 strings etc

I notice there's a new model called the AW2G one now which is probably ok

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/tuners/aw2G/tu_aw2G.asp

(multi-colour-tastic)

not affliated etc....
buggymusic
Regular

Postby lotek » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:12 am

or if you really want to go cheap and cheerful .. http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_ctg10.htm I have one of these ... works fine live on acoustic, electric bass and mandolin (and banjo)and used it for a double bass with no problems
lotek
Poster

Postby Lala » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks for your posts guys, what d'you reckon on the screen brightness of the AW2 for outside use ?

Nick
Lala
Poster

Postby Shambolic Charm » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:43 am

Check out the Snark Tuners they are not too expensive and are really the next generation Tuners. Always pick up the notes and a bright screen. Many guitarists are going over to using them.

http://www.snarktuners.com/
Shambolic Charm
Frequent Poster

Postby lotek » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:26 am

Screen brightness should be fine .. it's the black and white screens that are impossible to see in sunshine .. orange and green I've found to be fine.
lotek
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:36 am

I have what amounts to a museum of tuners through the ages.

The old desktop Korg tuners were solid and reliable. Their clip on models I have found to be fiddly (annoying) and flimsy (unforgivable). After my first AW2 fell to bits I bought another as it was the only one available (for 30 quid, [email]b@st@rds)[/email] which now resides on a "stay at home" guitar held together with elastic bands.

+1 for Snark tuners, cheap, solid, effective.

Also GStrings free app for Android. All I need now is a piezo and a 3.5 jack for clip-on function.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Lala » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks again guys for the replies, really useful info.

SB, very disappointing to hear about the build quality of the AW2, as you say, unforgivable really from a brand like Korg for us gigging guitarists.

Thanks for the shout on the Snark tuners SC, never come across them before but price wise they're well under the Korg and appear rugged enough, just wondering how that coloured display would fair outside in bright sunshine ?

Think I need to get myself down the shops and see if I can try one out.

Thanks again.

Nick
Lala
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:56 am

One other possible consideration:

Snark, Korg and others, but not all, take c2032 batteries which are available from Poundland type shops for 5 or more for, well, a pound. Good to have in the guitar case for when required.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Lala » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Yep, good tip SB, many thanks.
Lala
Poster

Postby Robmobius » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:22 am

+1 for the Snark. Got one for my birthday and it's a great bit of kit. :)
Robmobius
Regular