You are here

Acoustic mic bargain

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Acoustic mic bargain

Postby Gary_W » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I'd point out the following

http://www.dv247.com/microphones/se-electronics-gm10-clamp-on-acoustic-guitar-microphone--43267

I grabbed one a week back and (though it's had little use so far) it's looking promissing. Certainly when they were first released the only negatives ever mentioned in the reviews were the price (they were £349) and that the clamping device would either be a blessing or a curse depending upon how much you flail your arms around

At £69 the first objection is clearly gone, so if you need a mic for acoustic and like the concept then I hope the link helps

BTW, I'm nothing to do with DV or any shop - just passing along a bargain
Gary_W
Regular

Re: Acoustic mic bargain

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Call me a cynical old duffer Garry but with that sort of price drop I suspect the product will very soon be discontinued and spares and service with it.

Mind you at 70quid even if the mic went Ts U it would not take a mechanical genius to fit a universal clip!

Did PW not review it a year or so ago?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Gary_W » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi Dave,

It has been discontinued, so your thoughts are justified. However, DV offer a 5 year warranty on everything they sell so I figured '£69 for 5 years of mic' is a bargain if it goes wrong and is a super bargain if it doesn't

And yes, PW did review it favourably. Other reviews I could find prior to purchase either loved it or whinged about the price / bracket being a tad heavy and over-engineered but otherwise were favourable.

Gary
Gary_W
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm

Guess they'll be on eBay for a tenner before long then!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:17 pm

ef37a wrote:Did PW not review it a year or so ago?

He did, but it was FIVE years ago! Doesn't time fly when you're having fun? :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul07/a ... h_0707.htm

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby VOLOVIA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:32 pm

I don't understand the negative/sarcastic comments here. I bought the package a few months ago when it was around £100 and it's amazing value for money. SOS highly praised the mic alone (at the original price, that is) as very, very good for other uses apart from acoustic guitar.

The stand is fabulous, and yes, over-engineered (what a pity.. ) but great for studio work (and live, if you're brave!). At around £200 would be a steal... at £70, what is the problem?
VOLOVIA
Regular

VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER

Songwriter/guitarist

Postby Kwackman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Gary_W wrote:
BTW, I'm nothing to do with DV or any shop - just passing along a bargain

Thanks Gary.
You owe my credit card £69!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby Gary_W » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Glad it's helping a few folks - it is indeed a great little package especially at this price
Gary_W
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:23 pm

I was not negative!
I am quite sure the product is excellent.
I was cynical and suspicious and was proved right!
I merely made those comments as a bit of a warning since this sort of thing happens all the time. Most notably with soundcards/AIs or anything that gets left behind when Msoft change operating systems because the manufacturers either can't or won't write new drivers.

(anyone want to buy a slightly damaged BCA2000?)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Frisonic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I bought one about two years ago. They were about £200 then. I use it lots. Mine is not for sale! Yes, its a bargain (simply because SE have discontinued it). It is no cure all. It isn't perfect (nothing is). but it is a very useful mic for an acoustic guitar and its main selling point is as true today as it ever was, being that you don't have to think about mic placement. Note: Two main things to remember when using one. A) Don't over tighten the clamp, lest you damage the body of the guitar (or any other acoustic stringed instrument as it works with anything). B) Don't whack the mic or bracket whilst recording unless you want a sound like thunder from particularly angry gods at that particular point in your track, and/or to blow out your headphones/monitors/ear drums).
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Still strictly project but lately on the run.

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:16 pm

It looks a neat design, and I recall putting it on my mental pick list when I read the review, but I'll admit I'm dubious of the mic itself (though at this price I accept that's a bit mean of me).

What's the chances of modifying the arm to take a different mic/cap?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Gary_W » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:24 pm

The Elf wrote:It looks a neat design, and I recall putting it on my mental pick list when I read the review, but I'll admit I'm dubious of the mic itself (though at this price I accept that's a bit mean of me).

What's the chances of modifying the arm to take a different mic/cap?

There are some tiny little screws which I *think* would allow the cap to come out but I'm not brave enough to experiment...

However, the last 'bit' is simply an alan screw through the mic cap assembly. Sorry for the poor description, but I think if you wanted to then the heath-robinson possibility would be to get shot of that last section and clip in the assembly of your choosing. If you did rip this last bit out, the basic design of the rest of the clamp would still work.
Gary_W
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for that, Gary.

Looks like I'm another 70 quid down this month! Strewth!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Frisonic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:03 pm

To be honest Elf the arm itself is the weakest points of the design. I think the product would have done better had the arm and clamp arrangement been less of a fiddle to adjust and felt more robust to handle. Although in practice you very quickly get used to it and it works just fine. I agree that if you own nicer mics the mic itself would not be your first choice in a more conventional arrangement. But as a package its good for the money, especially at this price! Changing the mic would be a challenge because it comes in two separate parts, to reduce the weight in the arm. Its not one unit.

Like I said, its USP is that you can go to the same placement between sessions without thinking about it. It doesn't matter how much the guitarist moves about during a take, the mic remains in exactly the same position in relation to the instrument at all times. This does however mean it is placed in close proximity to the playing hand, so similar hazards apply to those when recording drums. I seldom use it in isolation but as a part of a two mic set up (except for quick and dirty sketches). I'm not raving about it but I've never regretted buying it. At this clearance price its a bargain if you understand what you're buying.
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Still strictly project but lately on the run.

Postby Gary_W » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:05 pm

If you want to PM me, I can take a picture of the cap joint and email it if that helps? What with that being worth a thousand words and all it might be a safer bet than relying on my pants description! I'm off out in a mo but can have a go later if you want....
Gary_W
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Thank you both Frisonic and Gary.

Yes, a photo might well help. I'm passing this one to my favourite studio owner and all-round DIY guy to get his decision - we'll see.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Madman_Greg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Can you remove the mic and fit in into a normal mic stand ???
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby Jay Menon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 pm

I bought this one - the Exploraudio Live Guitar H-Clamp

http://www.exploraudio.com/productdetail.php?pid=1&vid=5

Reviewd by PW here: <a href="/sos/nov06/articles/guitartech_1106.htm" target="_blank">http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov06/articles/guitartech_1106.htm</a>

Cost me £65.

It's made of aircraft grade aluminium, light as a feather - and as you tighten it, the rubberised bit in contact with the guitar, 'spreads' without shearing against the guitar's finish, so it doesn't scratch...

Also - you can fit whatever microphone you want to it. I recently used a Rode NT6 (with the omni capsule from an NT55) and it worked like a charm...

Jay
Jay Menon
Frequent Poster

Postby matt keen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:13 pm

JM-1 wrote:I bought this one - the Exploraudio Live Guitar H-Clamp

http://www.exploraudio.com/productdetail.php?pid=1&vid=5

Reviewd by PW here: <a href="/sos/nov06/articles/guitartech_1106.htm" target="_blank">http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov06/articles/guitartech_1106.htm</a>

Cost me £65.

It's made of aircraft grade aluminium, light as a feather - and as you tighten it, the rubberised bit in contact with the guitar, 'spreads' without shearing against the guitar's finish, so it doesn't scratch...

Also - you can fit whatever microphone you want to it. I recently used a Rode NT6 (with the omni capsule from an NT55) and it worked like a charm...

Jay
I have one of those as well - using it quite a bit now with a NT5 OMNI
Canford audio stock several different variations- all seem to work out at just under £60
Nice kit
I like it
matt keen
Frequent Poster