You are here

Power supply for Axon Ax100 (Mark 1)

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Power supply for Axon Ax100 (Mark 1)

Postby Pin » Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Does anyone know where I could get (and what to ask for) a power supply for an Axon Ax100 mark 1?
Specs say it is:

12vac 1.5A; 50 / 60Hz

The Axon power intake is the usual male internal probe to receive female power end plug.
Pin
Poster

Re: Power supply for Axon Ax100 (Mark 1)

Postby dubbmann » Thu May 03, 2012 9:44 pm

hi,

i'm looking at my axon's PSU (this is a US unit) and here's what it reads:

MANUFACTURER: FRIWO

Direct Plug-In Transformer Unit
Input: 120 V-AC/60Hz/24VA
Output: 12 V-AC/1.54 A
Type: FW 6798
Class 2 Transformer
Made in Germany

if you just match the output rating you should be fine. however, i'm not certain if it's a regulated PSU or not. a regulated PSU is always able to substitute for an unregulated (but not vice versa) so if you contact a electronics supplier with this info, ask for a regulated PSU if they have it.

cheers,

d
dubbmann
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri May 04, 2012 9:04 am

If it is AC out it will not be regulated nor do you need to worry about plug polarity, just finding one to fit! This..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-ac-fixed-voltage-high-current-power-supplies-240
The 3A verision should be fine. If you Google for "12volt ac wallwart" you will probably find dozens, probably cheaper but the quality can be dubious.

FYI y'all. AC/AC/ rats are absolute buggers for injecting hum into nearby audio leads, keep them well away!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Pin » Fri May 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks chaps. Your wisdom is much appreciated. I am well into the process of finding out a great deal about the Axon's rather ambiguous history of power supply and it is my intention once I have a full understanding to publish it on a site such as this for the sole purposes of the widest possible public desemination - because WE the public (users) need to know!

Right now I am "shell-shocked" (and that is putting it mildly) by what I have found out so far.

One lesson I have learned thus far: never, ever buy anything that hasn't got a power supply supplied! Just tell 'em to get lost!
Pin
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat May 05, 2012 6:10 am

Pin,
The history of the "wall rat" power supply is a deep and dirty one!
Even today many equipment manufacturers insist that you MUST only use their supply and to do otherwise (even if a replacement is electrically perfectly suitable)will void any warranty.

It is actually quite easy to make equipments very tolerant of supply voltage and polarity protection is not at all hard or expensive. It would in fact be fairly easy to make almost all equipment 12 volts at X mA, auto polarity, thus making PSU design standard and cheap.

In fact the AC low voltage, low power rat is soon to be outlawed in the EU (not sure about Imerica etc?) and so anyone who has some tasty old kit that needs one would do well to get a spare in now! Personally I would just put a nice toroid in a tin!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#