You are here

Naptha - alternative cleaning products for guitars.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Naptha - alternative cleaning products for guitars.

Postby WADEAL » Tue May 08, 2012 8:16 pm

I have been on the Stewmac website and they recommend Behlen’s Naptha for all sorts of guitar cleaning routines.

Behlen’s are presently out of stock until June and I understand that purity in such cleaning materials is vital. I don’t want to damage my beloved guitars, but I also don’t want to have to wait until June before starting work and cleaning them properly. So is there an alternative that is easily obtained in the UK that will safely do the biz?
WADEAL
Regular

Re: Naptha - alternative cleaning products for guitars.

Postby Chaconne » Tue May 08, 2012 10:16 pm

I was given some Dr Stringfellow Lemon oil by a music store when I needed to clean a fretboard, and I have found that that stuff cleans almost anything up a treat. Obviously not so good for metalwork or corrosion though.
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan Bo » Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 pm

This is what i'd suggest:

For cleaning a guitar body = White Spirit dab on a soft cloth
For cleaning the fretboard = Lemon Oil...any brand they are all the same. (Note: not to be used on Maple fretboards)
For cleaning hardware = Dry cloth/ Yellow duster cloth and possible a dry old toothbrush/paint brush for getting into those dusty Floyd's etc.

Hope that helps

Dan
Dan Bo
Regular
English (legal) immigrant, living in Scotland, coz it pleases the wife.

Postby Madman_Greg » Tue May 08, 2012 11:15 pm

you could investigate this stuff

http://www.u-pol.com/documents/datasheets/hsds/S2001-HSDS-EN.pdf

and I found this on another forum

B&Q sells naptha branded as "Bartoline Premium Low Odour White Spirit". 2L will cost you £4

but you would need to check it out at B&Q
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby zenguitar » Tue May 08, 2012 11:47 pm

I doubt that StewMac would ship naphtha to the UK anyway, they no longer ship flammable items overseas.

For cleaning paint/lacquer I always use white spirit. For ebony/rosewood fretboards and bridges I use lemon oil, it's largely a conditioner for the wood but it does lift off general grime too. For maple fretboards (and VERY dirty rosewood/ebony ones) I'll use lighter fluid, which is another name for naphtha. For electric bridges I like to strip them down and soak them in a jar of WD40 overnight then use a toothbrush/kitchen roll to clean them before lubricating with 3in1 Oil when I reassemble.

So, if you want to try any of the naphtha techniques on the StewMac site, a can of lighter fluid will do the job. But be careful with paint/lacquer finishes, it is a solvent and can do a lot of damage if you aren't careful.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.