You are here

Cheap Telecaster

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Cheap Telecaster

Postby Badstone » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:22 pm

A student has asked which Telecaster would be best for him.

I've suggested the squier standard but wondered if there were any other options I'd overlooked....any suggestions?
Badstone
Poster

Re: Cheap Telecaster

Postby Andy W. » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:16 pm

The best guitar for any student is the guitar he/she feels most comfortable with AND can afford!
Are you the guitar teacher? If yes, take your student by the hand and visit some guitar shops to make him/her FEEL as much guitars as possible. Why a Telecaster? Can the student imagine any alternatives? What music does he/she wants to play? And: what is cheap? Brand new for under 200,- ? Forget it, no matter what current! Look on auction sites for a used American Standard or at least some MIM?

For (not only) students there are good tools available from Ibanez and Yamaha (always good value for little money). And if the student is "adult", he/she can bear the truth: the best guitar for your idol is not necessarily the best guitar for you!
Andy W.
New here

Postby desmond » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 pm

The Squire Classic Vibe telecasters are amazing guitars for the money... I love mine...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Madman_Greg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 pm

desmond wrote:The Squire Classic Vibe telecasters are amazing guitars for the money... I love mine...

+10

excellent guitars for the money

I have one of the first lot of Squier Classic Vibe 50s Teles (the first release had, alnico 3 single-coil pickups, the latest lot have alnico 5 single-coil pickups)

This is the place to ask all things Telecaster related

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 am

I picked a butterscotch blonde Alfinity Chinese Fender for 99quid from Cash Converters some months ago.
Seems a nice tool. The neck is a bit wider, flatter and thinner than Son's Strat and suits me better..NOT than I can play worth a butterscotch toffee!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Robin Lemaire » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:45 am

desmond wrote:The Squire Classic Vibe telecasters are amazing guitars for the money... I love mine...

+1

Just popped some harmonic design p90s in my classic vibe tele. Sounds awesome and plays better than the Mexican fender version.
Robin Lemaire
Regular

Postby matt keen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:43 am

This is the one

I use my CVC 62 in place of other much more expensive teles
The CVC 62 has the advantage of having a very slim neck which might be good for a young person or someone with small hands

They sound very very good
matt keen
Frequent Poster

Postby djangodeadman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:51 am

Another vote here. I have the thinline: nice guitar, very good value for money in my opinion.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby Iain Boyd » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 am

Have recently become a big fan of G&L guitars - the 'L' being Leo Fender himself. Their American made guitars are expensive, the 'Tribute' far eastern series are much more affordable, but the real bargains come up with second hand G&L's. They just don't hold their value like 'real' Fenders - but are arguably better guitars.
Iain Boyd
Poster

Postby Gary_W » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:10 am

Iain Boyd wrote:Have recently become a big fan of G&L guitars - the 'L' being Leo Fender himself. Their American made guitars are expensive, the 'Tribute' far eastern series are much more affordable, but the real bargains come up with second hand G&L's. They just don't hold their value like 'real' Fenders - but are arguably better guitars.

I've got 2 Tributes and I think they're both great. One is an S500 (a Strat with hotter pickups and tarted up switching / tone controls) and an ASAT special (a tele with pickups that are almost P90s but not quite).

The ASAT was a 2nd hand ebay effort and was around £200. Backed off, it's ALMOST a tele (bridge pickup is fatter than it should be but it suits me!) and it does some beautiful cleans. Flat out, it's an angry thing. I love it.
Gary_W
Regular