You are here

What's this guitar U2's Edge uses?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

What's this guitar U2's Edge uses?

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 pm

U2's Edge goes through his Guitars in this youtube video:

Edge guitars

Near the end at about 4:10s there's an acoustic guitar which can have its tuning changed by a switch.
Does anyone know what it is and how it works? Is It DSP?

Thanks
Anonymous

Re: What's this guitar U2's Edge uses?

Postby Gary_W » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Yes, it's DSP.

It's a Line 6 Variax Acoustic. No longer on their website but you can view one of the versions here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vJQC7dSaNc

All of the Variax models allow you to do the virtual capo thing / different tunings. It's success depends on how far you take it (the smaller the pitch shifting jump the less artefact there is) and your expectations vs reality
Gary_W
Regular

Re: What's this guitar U2's Edge uses?

Postby grab » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:43 am

Seriously useful feature of Variaxes. Mostly I use standard tuning, but I use drop-D to put a great grungy sound on the "Heard it through the grapevine" riff. And I found that the "Every breath you take" riff is a *lot* easier in open-G. Without a Variax, I'd have to take five to retune, or have multiple guitars. With a Variax, it's just a switch-flick.

Agreed that extreme detuning doesn't work. Dropping a full octave is kind of like a bass, but not really - it doesn't have the fatness of a proper bass sound. But a few semitones works very well indeed.

One thing it doesn't get, of course, is the sympathetic resonance between strings that you get with a true dropped tuning. This isn't significant on an electric, but it's a major part of the sound of dropped/open tunings on an acoustic. So YMMV on how well it does the job for you.
grab
Frequent Poster