You are here

Converting guitar midi pitch bend to notes

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Converting guitar midi pitch bend to notes

Postby dwebb » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:23 pm

I have a Roland GR-20 with GK-3 pickup. The way it handles hammer-ons and other legato styles is by transmitting pitch bend information based on a fixed range of 24 semi-tones.

This causes a number of problems - for synths that do not allow their pitch bend range to be set to 24 semi-tones, and also for using the midi guitar for transcribing guitar parts.

I know that other guitar midi devices (like the Axon) allow you to configure whether legato styles generate new note on commands or pitch bend data, but unfortunately the Roland does not seem to have any way of changing its behaviour.

Does anyone have any experience of a tool that would convert pitch bend data into note on/off commands, either in real time, or as an off-line process?
dwebb
Poster

Re: Converting guitar midi pitch bend to notes

Postby DAGGILARR » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:49 pm

I seem to remember that when I used a GR20 to trigger stuff in my mac that the only pitch bend control I could get was to select instruments the did not lend themselves to PB this meant not using the settings in the way the manual said in order to get midi through or something. I could have it on a setting that when I bent a note it went up in tones or on another (cello I think ) and I could emulate a bend. It was this that prompted me to get an Axon. But then (and i kinda regret this) I installed Lion and the Axon software would no longer run so I sold that and got a GI20. The GI is OK and there is an APP that is an editor but not realtime, here is a link to that APP
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Re: Converting guitar midi pitch bend to notes

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Can't you disable the pitch-band altogether, or set the range to 0, or something...? Bome MIDI Translator is a handy general-purpose MIDI mangler.
BJG145
Frequent Poster