You are here

Putting a dull finish on an Ader strat body?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Putting a dull finish on an Ader strat body?

Postby Shambolic Charm » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:34 am

Hi, I am replacing my plexi strat body on one of my guitars (too heavy) with an alder body. It is coming as unvarnished wood and I would like to put a dull finish on it, maybe with a bit of stain thus keeping it's natural wood feel. There is lots of info on the net about glossing up guitar bodies but I can't find specifics on doing a simple dull finish. Any advice?
Shambolic Charm
Frequent Poster

Re: Putting a dull finish on an Ader strat body?

Postby artzmusic » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:36 am

Sham, From my experience on guitars and with a friend who makes a great living on refinishing pianos: You can still use the same nitro lacquer that you might normally finish with. However, be sure not to use any retarder with it. Then progressively wet sand with 600, 1500, 2000 grit as needed depending on the results of your sprayed application. Your real goal is to arrive at a 0000 steel wool finish. Work only with the grain, not across.

If you get a chance to check out a piano store, have a look at the satin finishes on the high-line models done with oooo steel wool.

Best,
Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby Random Guitarist » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Personally I'd go with tru oil, which is easy to apply (bottle of oil and a rag), and easy to fix (bottle of oil and a rag).

You can get a range of levels of shiny/dull finish depending on how shiny/dull you want to go. It's nice and light if you're one of those people who believes that tone is affected by the vibration of the wood. (I do)

Forgot to say it's fine with a water based stain as well. I did an SG last year and airbrushed a brown sort of burst effect over a yellow then oiled over the top. A year later I'm very happy with the result.
Random Guitarist
Regular

I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Shambolic Charm » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:13 pm

I was looking at Tru oil or tung oil they look like an easy solution (no pun intended).
Shambolic Charm
Frequent Poster