You are here

Variax Transplant

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Variax Transplant

Postby Dave B » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:45 am

Anyone done this?

I've managed to reflash my v300 and get it back into the land of the living which is nice. But even a guitar numpty like me can tell it's not so good to play. So my options are :

1. transplant into a full guitar (Vintage or Pacifica)
2. Just replace the neck (hello Warmoth)
3. full rebuild (hello Warmoth, this arm and this leg)

Anyone done any surgery? all input gratefully accepted..
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Variax Transplant

Postby lukeandrewhill » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 am

I looked into this a while back as I am a lefty and they don't do the JTVs left handed. There is a company in Wales that I found on the net that will fit the guts of a Variax into pretty much any guitar you like and were pretty reasonable on prices. I'll try to find you a link to the place, but it took a lot of searching on t'internets to find it last time - might be a job for my lunch break...

please make it all simple.

Re: Variax Transplant

Postby zenguitar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 pm

It depends why you find it bad to play Dave. If it really is just the neck that you don't like, then a replacement is by far the easiest and best option.

Warmoth have a shed load of Variax options. And here's a couple of links to Variax 300 transplants. One is a custom build and the other is a guy who has three conversions. The Les Paul is a Vintage, and another is a Pacifica. They do give you a clear idea what is involved in a conversion.

Andy :beamup:

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.