You are here

Alt Guitar Volume/Envelope Controllers

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Alt Guitar Volume/Envelope Controllers

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Without getting too Peter Frampton about it, are there any other ways to control guitar volume while playing (apart from pedal or volume knob on guitar)?

I know Jeff Beck has made the guitar knob control (while playing) into an art, but otherwise I suppose foot and mouth are the only remaining ways to do this? Pedals tend to produce an uneven effect because the front of the foot is longer than the heal where the pivot is. In fact, a sprung roller for the foot (like a decent keyboard pitch bend) might be better than a pedal.

But, (if we put musical expression before looking cool) I think only the mouth would be sensitive enough for real expressive control: clenched lips cause 'volume down' on a device that is gently sprung to be open by default. It'd be good for wah-wah too I suppose ... not to make it talk though.
Anonymous

Re: Alt Guitar Volume/Envelope Controllers

Postby Dave B » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Optical wah ... it was on Tomorrow's World many moons ago and used fibre optic cable and a light sensor. It was on a wah but I'd expect it to be easily changed to be volume.
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby DGL. » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm

How well would breath control work (like on a synth). Might me a useable solution.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 pm

The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Postby zenguitar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:35 pm

The Ernie Ball pedals are spring & string operated. Expensive, but excellent. I've been using my Morley Slimline Echo/Volume pedal for 30 years now, works fine for me. Very controllable, you just need to use it and practice.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby zenguitar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:37 pm

Korff wrote:Dig it.

Very nice :)

zenguitar

Postby Goddard » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:17 am

alt guitar? I remember that newsgroup!:D

Used to experiment with MIDI guitar a lot. With some MIDI guitar interfaces you can do all kinds of interesting things sending MIDI messages to control whatever MIDI-controllable parameters of whatever MIDI-controllable gear you like. And split/zone the fretboard so that things change depending where you finger. Axons were really versatile at that.

Nowadays, you can just slap a little Kaoss pad on.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:23 pm

zenguitar wrote:
Korff wrote:Dig it.

Very nice :)

Indeedy — and funnily enough, I just this minute received an email about a new wireless USB-MIDI version! Info here: http://www.sourceaudio.net/hh-usb-reserve/?utm_source=HHUSB&utm_campaign=Vote+Email&utm_medium=email

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Postby zenguitar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:38 pm

More very nice :)

zenguitar

Postby Goddard » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:46 am

A little advice on Hot Hands- try before buy (or buy with a good return policy). Sounds are quite nice, but the controlling of them may cause one some consternation and a hot head instead.

That said, I do know a keyboard player who loves his midi controller, so maybe it's just down to me being too spaz. Perhaps if they offered it with a larger toe-sized ring...

A somewhat similar approach using light beams and one's own body rather than a hand-worn ring is Roland's "D-Beam" tech as implemented on the VG-99 V-Guitar System which can be stand-mounted and also accept a ribbon controller input. Of course, not at all cheap, and one would also need something like this in order to make use of it.

There was also an xbox "air guitar" type project being developed along similar lines (the link to which I seem to have misplaced) employing a Kinect sensor setup.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby Goddard » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:59 pm

A follow-up to my earlier comment about my not getting on with the Hot Hand ring.

According to the keyboardist who's using their midi exp pedal, the ringamajiggy can apparently also be worn on a headband or hat or on the foot, not just on the hand (Doh!). So will give it another try that way next chance.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:22 pm

I suppose I'd prefer it to be analogue, but maybe that's not justified. Does the MIDI controlled volume/wah sound or feel different?

I suppose there are alinearities in any analogue controller that wouldn't exist with MIDI. The guitar knob volume doesn't feel like a steady up/down, but I'm not sure if that's my imagination.

If true, that might be undesireable logically, yet maybe in practice humans quite like these alinearities (?)