You are here

Pedal Board Advice

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Pedal Board Advice

Postby paul007 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi,

I'm in the process of designing a new Pedal Board, I have been shopping around and am looking for companies in the UK who can provide me with a custom build (Like Trailer Trash but in the UK) I have found the Sgt Pepper Boards but am looking for any other suggestions on companies I could check out.

I am also pricing up my cables etc and need to know where I can buy custom length cables for powering pedals from a VoodooLabs Power Supply. As the board is going to be quite large, I need options on length and I can't find anywhere that can help me. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks Paul
paul007
Regular

Re: Pedal Board Advice

Postby 4TrackMadman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Depending on how many pedals it might be cheaper for you to buy bulk 1/4 cable and solder your own Neutrik connectors onto them, unless we are talking just a few effects in which case you might go with a modular cabling system like George L's where you cut your own length and screw on solderless 1/4 plugs.

If I were you I'd probably make a cardboard cutout of each effect and then arrange them around and see how much space I'd need. Something like this come be also done in a graphics program (something like Corel Draw, Photoshop or even freeware graphics editor like Gimp) as long as you keep the right proportions, you can draw squares for the effects and shuffle them around then you'd see how much length you'd need. Also keep in mind sizes of car trunks, etc. that you'd haul the stuff in so you're within limits. For example, m last car purchase was 30% based on whether it will fit a 4x12 Marshall 1960 cab in the trunk.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:21 pm

4TrackMadman wrote: Also keep in mind sizes of car trunks, etc. that you'd haul the stuff in so you're within limits. For example, m last car purchase was 30% based on whether it will fit a 4x12 Marshall 1960 cab in the trunk.

Absolutely. I bought an XL flight case which was on offer. Great price, built like a tank, holds all my gear - couldn't get it in the boot of my car along with my other gear (ended up on the back seat so not a dissaster but it did mean that it was on show).
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Have you tried these chaps: FX Power SUpplies

and/or these chaps: JOhnny Shredfreak

Both have loads of stuff for pedal boards etc
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

A goal without a plan is just a wish

Postby SparkyG » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Speak to James at diago, he did a custom build 2 layer board for me.. Top bloke great service.
SparkyG
Regular

Postby SparkyG » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Cable wise I imported all mine from lava cable. I tried George L,s and they kept letting me down.
SparkyG
Regular

Postby Jonny DiBergi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Yes, would steer clear of the George Ls. Lava Cable is generally considered better, and having made up a board myself with Lavas they're good to work with, very easy and reliable IF you make the cables carefully and everything's properly stuck down.

For power, you might just be best off buying this, and using the cables that come with it. You get a selection of different length cables with it, from something like 8" to a couple of feet.

If you want it done real nice check out thegigrig.com, they do some great work and they do a range of quality power supplies. They use generally use Lavas too.

HTH!
Jonny DiBergi
Regular