You are here

sansamp psa1 and reamping

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

sansamp psa1 and reamping

Postby Bandido » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:10 am

hi all,
has anyone here used or owned a sansamp psa1 preamp?
just picked one up off ebay a couple of days ago and getting to know it.
i notice that the output can be set to instrument level or line level which got me thinking maybe it could be used for reamping.
anyone have experience with this or any other thoughts regarding the psa1 or reamping?
cheers
Warren
Bandido
Poster

Re: sansamp psa1 and reamping

Postby TheBev » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:51 am

I've never done this with mine but I suppose you could route out of your DAW into the Sansamp and then back in to the DAW again. I've not fiddled with mine for a while but think you can also set up the unit as an insert effect if your interface & routing options allow, within the DAW.
You do need to use some kind of speaker emulation alongside as it doesn't have it's own, but it's a great unit & guitars really do sit well in the mix whenever I've used it.

I might have a little play with mine to see what else is possible..
TheBev
Regular

"The tech gets better, the user error remains the same.." Roberts Plant

Postby Bandido » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 am

hi, thx for chiming in
i have routed out of DAW into mackie 1640i channel with Sansamp as an insert and recorded back into DAW, works great but wanting to extend that to routing out of DAW into mackie into Sansamp into amp/speaker and recording the speaker cab back to DAW, the Sansamp output can be set to instrument level and was thinking is this the same as using a dedicated reamp box such as Radial X-Amp, i suspect not, instrument level out of Sansamp prob is very diffrent to converting the signal to match guitar pickup impedance like dedicated reamp boxes do, but i dont know much about this and the manual doesnt say anything about using sansamp for this purpose, so what advantages or applications would there be by having diffrent output switching on the sansamp?
so much to learn..
Bandido
Poster

Postby buggymusic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:56 am

should work - may need to watch phasing if re-combined with original signal
buggymusic
Regular

Postby Jack Ruston » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:46 am

It might depend whether the sansamp instrument output is dry or processed by the sansamp emulation. I think for the relatively low cost of a reamp you should grab one of those.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby Bandido » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:40 am

the sansamp processing can be bypassed while still passing signal, preset 00 is a bypass,
but i think yr right, for best results and no hassel's go with a dedicated reamp box.

Radial make a few diffrent reamp boxes, the basic (cheapest) one is passive, have you had any experience with there reamp boxes? pro's con's to passive or active and is there one that does it all... split signal while tracking and reamp after etc
Bandido
Poster

Postby Goddard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the psa1 can work for re-amping, by using the rear input as a line in, and taking an instrument level output into an amp. At least I'm pretty sure I recall seeing that done. Does the manual give any usage/connection examples?
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby Bandido » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 am

yeah thats how i pictured it working...
the manual gives examples of various applications and setup's but nothing mentioned about using the psa1 for reamping.
they say the output's can be switched between line and instrument level but dont expand on how, where or why you might apply the instrument level output.
think i'll have to do a bit of experimentation (carnt hurt, or can it?)
Bandido
Poster

Postby TheBev » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 am

Not strictly on topic, but.. here's a site I found useful for the Sansamp if you haven't found it already. There haven't been any updates for several years but still a lot of good info there, just click the ad away on the top left hand side to view the menu.

http://milaa.tripod.com/SansAmp_PSA-1/index_PSA-1.html
TheBev
Regular

"The tech gets better, the user error remains the same.." Roberts Plant

Postby 4TrackMadman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:16 pm

I have a PSA1. You can record clean guitar signal via a DI box or if your audio card has a DI input, then just bus the output signal of your audio card into the back input of the PSA1 and you should be good to go.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Goddard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Can't the PSA1 be used as a DI box?

Or perhaps I misunderstood that the OP wanted to re-amp an already-recorded guitar track?
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 pm

I am not sure, I think you can bypass as said on the 00 and use it as a preamp. Easiest way to find out is to try it
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Bandido » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:16 am

Goddard wrote:Can't the PSA1 be used as a DI box?

Or perhaps I misunderstood that the OP wanted to re-amp an already-recorded guitar track?

Yes it can.. spent a lot of time with it yesterday and have come up with some gems.
The I/O and flexibility of this pre is insane!!!

- set to bypass (00) DI instrument, send signal to both outputs (out 1 line level to DAW) (out 2 inst level to amp for monitoring) rec output 1 (unprocessed) for reamping later.

PSA 1 is a signal splitter too (nice)

when you want to reamp, send the signal into input 2 of PSA 1 (rear) set for line level and send the output to amp (out set for inst level)

Happy Day's

Thx all for offering your thoughts
Bandido
Poster