You are here

RIP Richie Havens

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

RIP Richie Havens

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:35 am

Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Re: RIP Richie Havens

Postby Frisonic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:33 am

25 records published since he opened Woodstock. Which is a solid body of work by any measure. Didn't seem to have a single enemy. Says a lot about a person, that. RIP
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Still strictly project but lately on the run.

Postby zoosound » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:10 am

Sad to see another Woodstock legend gone. Surely a contender for having hands as large as Hendrix's.
His thumb is big enough the bar the guitar neck...and then the treacle toned voice he had too. They just don't seem to make folks like this anymore!
zoosound
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 pm

RIP Ritchie.

Although I'd sort of known Woodstock, I remember when I first properly came across Richie Havens. After a long, heavy, night in the pub some friends and I were sat around taking turns to sing along to some tapes. One of the friends complimented me on having a good voice and described it as a cross between Richie Havens and John Martyn. To which I replied .... Who?

So I was lent some tapes, and by the weekend had bought some records. And that's how I discovered John Martyn, who went on to be one of my biggest influences, and Richie Havens, who remains one of the greatest voices I ever heard, on one drunken night in 1981.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby Frisonic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:53 pm

I'd have put money on your having got plugged into John Martyn before 1981 Andy! You have mentioned before that you've even named guitars after his work, such an influence he has been on you (myself likewise). I'd never have thought of Richie Havens and John Martyn as having comparable voices but now you mention it, makes perfect sense. Two great contemporaries from either side of the Atlantic, now both departed from this life, both perhaps a little before their time.
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Postby Goddard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:27 pm

Yes, sad news indeed, and another who'll be missed.

Speaking of Jon Martyn, I consider myself fortunate indeed to have seen/heard him live once when he'd opened for Clapton (bit of a blur, maybe '79 or '80, "Slowhand" tour?), and he was doing a solo act, sat on a chair whilst playing (or perhaps triggering?) the accompaniment on a pedal gizmo. Amazing stuff, and gloriously even better than on his recordings. Although I've no doubt everyone else had come to see Clapton, I'd come there for Jon Martyn and glad I was.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:54 pm

OK... it might have been late 1980 And it wasn't so much that the voices were similar, it was more that my voice had elements of Richie Havens and John Martyn.

But before I moved to London to start work there was no one around to introduce me to his work. And yes, all my guitars are called Stormbringer after the John Martyn song

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby Shostakovich » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:57 pm

RIP Mr. Havens.

Back in the days of my musical career, I often found myself being the support act for the likes of the guy that was part of a duo with Richie, and had a hit record. Who the hell was he? Or am I confabulating again?
Shostakovich
Regular
Excelling at mediocrity for 61 years.

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:09 pm

Shostakovich wrote:RIP Mr. Havens.

Back in the days of my musical career, I often found myself being the support act for the likes of the guy that was part of a duo with Richie, and had a hit record. Who the hell was he? Or am I confabulating again?

Pino Daniele?
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Frisonic » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Shostakovich wrote: confabulating

I know discombobulate but confabulate is a new one for the vocabulary. Many thanks (I noticed it got past the SOS spell checker so it must be a real word)!!!
Frisonic
Frequent Poster