You are here

Taylor 615ce

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Taylor 615ce

Postby kinglouis » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi All,

I've been offered this taylor at a good knock-down price from an in-law; whilst I'm a pretty proficient guitarist I don't know a vast amount about acoustics. I was looking to upgrade to an acoustic that records beautifully in most styles (I record a lot of music for tv in pretty much any genre) and gigs well (acoustic guitar/jazz vox duo). Is this a good all-round guitar?

Having played it a bit in the past it has a cracking action and a lovely tone but I was hoping for some thoughts from them wot know better. Is it a good general work-horse?

Many thanks.
kinglouis
Regular

Re: Taylor 615ce

Postby RitchieM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Buy buy buy!!!!

Never played a 614, but I own a 314ce ltd, a 355 12 string and have played a 514.

Oh, and my sons middle name is Taylor, and it's NOT because of that clown from Twilight!

They are the best.
RitchieM
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Taylors are good pieces of kit in general, then it's down to your preferences and your fingers.
Since it's an in-law, can't you just try it? If it sounds right and feels right and your random checks on ebay confirm it's a good price.. what's to think about? :-) Worst case, you resell it.
CS70
Frequent Poster

Silver Spoon - It's just music Check out our latest single and video!

Postby Bazza » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Nice guitars. Mine has quite a wide neck and cuts through a mix very well.

Check ebay for prices. I would describe £1500 or less as knock down, but as always DYOR.

Bazza
Bazza
Regular

This time next week, who'll give a sh*t http://www.podcastrevision.co.uk

Postby Madman_Greg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:26 pm

My rule of thumb for evaluating acoustic guitars for recording is as follows. Which may or may not be correct – no science behind this at all? Just my thoughts really.

This is only an indicator really, its not flawless.

There is no substitute for putting the guitar in front of a mic and hitting the red button, in a known acoustic environment.

1) Play a chord and mute it, pop your lugs close the sound hole and listen to the amount of reverb/sound decay and the time it takes to disapate.
2) Give the guitar some serious strumming and then go really mad (strumming wise). Listen to how the guitar naturally compresses the sound. Or if you end up with mush
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby RitchieM » Wed May 01, 2013 7:09 am

I think you generally know when you hold a guitar if its for you, especially with acoustics.

When plugged in, I have always found Taylor's to be quite bright and forward sounding, but that can be sorted with a simply EQ if necessary. Does the one on offer have the Fishman system (traditional type eq) or the Expression system (3 small rotary controls)? Both mine have the older system and perform wonderfully!
RitchieM
Regular

Postby kinglouis » Thu May 02, 2013 8:03 am

CS70 - absolutely. Couldn't agree more, I think it is a no-brainer.

Greg - nice test, will certainly give it a pop, thank you!

RitchieM, its the Expression system which I hear good things about but haven't tried personally.

Bazza - thanks for ballpark, checked it and they're going even cheaper! That might have saved me some £s...
kinglouis
Regular

Postby RitchieM » Thu May 02, 2013 8:20 am

Hold it, 1 strum, that is my usual test. You know if a guitar is for you. I just know that every Taylor I have ever played, including the small 3/4 I played on Saturday in PMT just seems to "fit" me. Never had that with any other make, acoustic or electric.

And I always use Elxir's on mine too.
RitchieM
Regular

Postby Urthlupe » Fri May 03, 2013 9:33 pm

My advice would be as already mentioned, try the guitar on mic before you buy.

I have found over the years that acoustic guitars can sound quite different on mic than they do to the player. I would put a 600 series Taylor I have here in that category. The sound grabs me instantly when I play it, but I find it hard to capture, particularly with a single close mic.

Loopy
Urthlupe
Regular