You are here

New tuning pegs for Strat copy

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

New tuning pegs for Strat copy

Postby Moroccomoose » Thu May 09, 2013 9:28 am

Folks,

I have quite a nice (to hold) cheap strat copy by Brunswick. The neck is straight and the action I set up is perfect for me. However some of the hardware (probably most of the hardware) is crap! I need to replace the tuning pegs as one has broken

I don't need anything fancy, just good basic quality, smooth winding and the knobs to be made out of metal... unlike the existing plastic pegs! I'm not bothered about particular brands, it is, after all, a cheapo.

Looking on Google and Ebay, prices vary wildly, and I'm not sure where the dividing line is between 'buy cheap, buy twice' and 'paying for the name'. I guess I'm looking to spend not more than £40

so please, fire your recommendations at me!

Ta!
Moroccomoose
Regular

Re: New tuning pegs for Strat copy

Postby Madman_Greg » Thu May 09, 2013 11:05 am

Plenty to choose from at that price, for example.

american standard tuners

google and you will find my friend
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby Moroccomoose » Thu May 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Google and find I did!! It was the overwhelming choice that was the problem. Ranging from £9.99 to £120

I'd be happy to spend £40 but happier if I can spend less and have equivalent quality. I really wanted to know if anyone had a feel for where the price cross overs are between cheap rubbish, Basic good value and un-obtainium branded snake oil lay. Also any rogues to avoid.

The ones you pointed to seem perfectly reasonable and are definitely on the short list Thanks!!

Anyone else want to chime in?!

Cheers
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Thu May 09, 2013 3:14 pm

These from Allparts are as good as any. Twenty four of your English Pounds and all requirements met.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby caveman82 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Slight hijack but I need some tuners for my Flamenco guitar.

Any recommendations?

*ahem Zenguitar*

Solve my guitar related once again wise bearded guitar oracle of the South West Country....

Please...
caveman82
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 am

Hijack forgiven

Now, what sort of Flamenco guitar are we talking about?

There are two main differences between a Classical guitar and a Flamenco guitar. The first is that a different woods are used, and the second is that a Flamenco guitar is built a lot lighter than a Classical, which includes the use of violin/cello style ebony pegs rather than geared tuners.

So, the secret is to keep the machine heads as light as possible. The ideal solution would be to remove geared tuners, plug the holes, and re-drill for ebony pegs. The second best solution would be to get the lightest Schaller/Gotoh classical tuners you can lay your hands on.

Hope that helps.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby caveman82 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 am

Thanks for the reply ZG,

I have a cedar/cypress blanca made in Paracho Mexico. It has geared tuners which one of is a bit on the shady side.

Not sure I can go for the effort to have the holes plugged in for pegs! I've used pegs a few times as well which I found a confusing and daunting experience! At several occasions when I tried to use them the pegs went flying out of the guitar!

I'll look for the brands of tuners which you mentioned,

Thanks again!
caveman82
Frequent Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks Zen,

There are some ebay options I'm keeping an eye on, if they don't come off then your suggestion will be added to the short list.

I'm sensing that if you pay between 25 and 40 quid, you won't go too far wrong for good basic winders.

Thanks all!

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Madman_Greg » Fri May 10, 2013 10:28 pm

My suggestion

Get the Fender pegs (£40).

When you move onto a better guitar, say a Squier Strat or Fender MIM or whatever, you have some nice pegs for that.

Put the old pegs back on your Brunswick, flog it. You have some decent pegs for next guitar.

Just saying think of where you are going next and not just now.
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby dragonfroid » Sat May 11, 2013 1:43 am

I think too that there are 2 differences between a guitar "classical" and "Flamenco" :

- a different woods are used
- a Flamenco guitar is built lighter than a Classical (use of violin/cello style ebony pegs rather than geared tuners)
dragonfroid