You are here

Lusting after a 335-alike...

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Lusting after a 335-alike...

Postby TheBev » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:56 pm

TheBev wrote:Here's an Aria TA 60 which I think was the top of that particular line but may be wrong.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232304021862?ul_noapp=true

Turns out I was wrong on that / mis-remembered it, a not unusual occurrence I'll admit. There were, & maybe even are Aria TA65's & TA70's which were even further up the food chain.

& the the finish reminds me of Stonewashed jeans & I guess you can't get more 80's than that. :smirk:
TheBev
Regular
"The tech gets better, the user error remains the same.." Roberts Plant

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Aria used the crackle finish a lot on solid bodies too, including the XR Series. There were several colours available, I recall the blue crackle being particularly nice (in an 80's kind of way).

http://www.jscooper.com/forsale/aria.htm

If I'm not mistaken there was also one with a ridiculous number (32?) of frets & a deep cutaway, but I can't find any evidence to support this.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Currently struggling to find something to want

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:38 am

Apologies, just remembered the extended cutaway referred to in the post above was a Washburn EC29. In my defence it was out around the same time & was available in a 'magma' finish.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Wonks wrote:The demonstrator, Jamie Patel, is a mate of Max's, I know that Max has set up several of Jamie's own guitars. Jamie's worked for Ibanez for the past couple of years (he's only 20) and is now endorsed by them as well, so he can't be that bad in real life.

I think the poor sound is more down to the mic techniques used (or maybe the amp sim output on the H&K head), which definitely needs more work. (On the other hand, having an S670QM currently in my possession -an HSH - I know some of the sounds on that are as thin and nasty as in that demo). I've looked at some other of his demos on YouTube and the sound is pretty bad on all of them. Andertons do it so much better, although with them you either get clean or all out distortion, rather than the more crunchy tones Jamie seems to like.
he's young and enthusiastic and "age relevant" to the mass market....
writes great tunes, but , well, there's a lot for him to learn.....
I on the other hand, can make pretty much anything sound god like ;) but i'm old , bald and fat . consequently, I'm not a video demonstrator....... ;)
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster
No Longer the slightest bit interested in your audio problems .   

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 pm

I believe the relevant phrase might be, "a great face for radio!" ;)
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:Apologies, just remembered the extended cutaway referred to in the post above was a Washburn EC29. In my defence it was out around the same time & was available in a 'magma' finish.

I had one of each of the EC models...... (yes, that means the 29 and the 36, not every colour.... )

I'm claiming temporary insanity and total loss of taste brought on by a drug fuelled dose of it being the 80's

(and it was the 80's...... one of the damn things was pink for chrissakes.... what the feck was i thinking ??? the wife wouldn't let me keep it in the house...... she thought the candy apple red BC rich warlock was vastly more refined.... and frankly, she probably wasn't wrong.... )
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote: but i'm old , bald and fat . consequently, I'm not a video demonstrator....... ;)

and have therefore, I suspect, got a lot more in common with the people who actually buy the most guitars - at least at the upper / mid price point.

Good to see you back - how's it going with the change of career?
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote:I had one of each of the EC models...... (yes, that means the 29 and the 36, not every colour.... )

I'm claiming temporary insanity and total loss of taste brought on by a drug fuelled dose of it being the 80's
You lucky bugger, I lusted after one of those to the point of madness. I bought a Washburn G-15V in the 80's, it was a beautifully crafted George Washburn signature series model & came fully loaded (2001 Wonderbar, active mid-range, coil tapped stacked humbuckers, bound fingerboard with snowdrift inlays, scarf jointed maple neck, locking top nut etc) but...it was off-white. I still have it & it still gets used although it's gradually turning yellow, probably due to the aging of the polyester finish.

Funny thing is, I have no idea why I thought I needed 36 frets. If I go above the 17th fret I get a nose-bleed.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 am

Well, I picked up my PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow from the guitar tech this morning and it's playing beautifully :)

In the end it didn't need a fret dress. Upon closer inspection the tech traced the 'sitar effect' on the high E to a problem with the bridge. This saved me the cost of a fret dress plus the satisfaction of knowing that I was probably right when I said that it have never been set up before. The previous owner had most likely just messed around with the two bridge height adjustment screws.

Anyway. Band practice tonight so I quickly plugged in and ran through a few songs where I thought that it might fit in. The sound is great and I can see me using this on quite a chunk of the set.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote:one of the damn things was pink for chrissakes.... what the feck was i thinking ???

That it went perfectly with the spandex and the hairsprayed hair?

:D
CS70
Frequent Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:11 am

I also lusted after the 36 fret washburn, and sadly I still like the style :shock:

With slightly older eyes, I guess even with pencil thin fingers, it would still be difficult to fret anything much higher than an E barre at the 24th but that might still be cool :)

Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 am

The finish on that one looks a giraffe with a terrible skin disease.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster
Freedom of speech means freedom to offend

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:The finish on that one looks a giraffe with a terrible skin disease.
Is that because it has a long neck? :lol:
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Postby mashedmitten » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:51 pm

The Aria and amp I spoke of are no more. My aunt came home after her stroke, all seemed well. Three days ago she had another stroke and burned the house down. She didn't get burned, my cousin pulled her out just in time. Lucky she didn't suffer more injuries, it all happened at like 1:30AM. Cousin lives next door and heard the dog barking and then saw the glow from the flames. Been all over the news, here.

I'm kicking myself in the butt for not rescuing it, but manners made me not even attempt to pick it up after the first stroke. Torn by feelings for the aunt and the guitar. The aunt's well-being is first, and the guitar is just an object, but it's like how you'd feel if a pet perished.

Don't worry, I won't hang around. This is the only place I mentioned the guitar and figured I'd give a final report.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby TheBev » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:06 pm

You did the right thing there mashed... so you should feel good about that, & so glad to hear your aunt is OK.
TheBev
Regular
"The tech gets better, the user error remains the same.." Roberts Plant

Postby Wonks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Bad news about your Aunt, MM. Doesn't look good with the new stroke, but I hope she's not suffering.

I know quite a few people who've lost instruments through fire or smoke damage. An Aussie forum mate lost over 20 guitars to smoke damage recently when an A/C unit in his man shed caught fire. A lot he'd made himself, so while of relatively low cost, had a lot of sentimental value over all the effort and learning involved. But there were some pretty high-value bought guitars as well. I need to check up on how he's doing with insurance cover. At least they weren't burnt, so he can prove that he has them!

I was tempted by one of those 36-fret Washburns, as I had the money at the time when they came out. But when I tried one, the frets were so close together after the 24th fret that it was all pretty pointless.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Wonks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 pm

CS70 wrote:Btw, if you have facebook, this is the Heritage at work :)

https://www.facebook.com/cristiano.sadun/videos/10155309440874575/

Lovely guitar and some nice playing.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Wonks wrote:I was tempted by one of those 36-fret Washburns, as I had the money at the time when they came out. But when I tried one, the frets were so close together after the 24th fret that it was all pretty pointless.

Have you never wondered how I ended up able to play the mandolin ???? I mean , not exactly a classic metal instrument , your average mandolin like ...

Thank you EC series ... may you rot in hell
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:22 am

I have an Epiphone 'Mandobird'

Not quite 'metal' but certainly 'rawk' :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Mr G J Guitarist

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:32 am

Do they do a reverse one too?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:41 am

:bouncy: Only Left Handers
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Mr G J Guitarist

Postby Wonks » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 am

That is a 'reverse' one. I think you meant 'non-reverse', Huge.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Wed May 17, 2017 9:38 am

So, following a set up my PRS SE Semi Hollow is playing nicely. The old tuners were poor so I replaced them with a locking set (to speed up string changes) and I'm now very happy with them.

There are a few niggles such as a dink on the top of the neck at the 6th fret which, under certain lighting conditions, looks like a fret marker. Also, nut seems a little tight for 10s (I think that this guitar was originally supplied with 9s) so I may take it back to the Tech as that should have been taken care of in the set up. Aside from that this is a nice guitar, especially since it stands me at only £400 including set up and tuners. I love the sound (I now totally get Wonks' comments about the differences between a semi and a true hollow body).

Now I have a dilemma. I'm using this guitar for about half the tracks in my 4 piece band and 2/3rds of the set with the duo (I gigged this guitar with the duo over the weekend). I suspect that a better semi, with a trem, could cover all of my live requirements.

I'm now exhibiting an unhealthy amount of interest in the PRS S2 Semi Hollows.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:02 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:I really liked the PRS Zach Myers version on the vid I posted earlier in the thread. That's got an oddly short scale length, if I remember rightly, funnily enough. But a bit too modern-looking for what I'm after. Must admit as I watch all this stuff I'm more and more drawn to something a little Jazzer like the Fret King.

I tried one of these in a shop yesterday.

It was a truly outstanding guitar. Perfect fit and finish, and they look even better in real life than they look in pictures.

Bridge pickup on full treble is rockabilly; neck pickup with the treble wound off and a bit of a nudge to the amp gives that creamy overdrive used by, well, Cream.

Everything in between sounds excellent. You can play anything on this guitar, and it sounds great. A perfect jazz sound when clean. You can actually play classical stuff on it (e.g. Asturias Leyenda) without it turning to mush, which is rare on an electric anything. If I had the cash, I would have bought it on the spot. As it is, I hope they are still in production this time next year.

I have no idea who Zach Myers is (I fear he might be the bastard love-child of Steve Vai and Justin Bieber), but you can always cover his name over with duct tape.

Try one. Then post a picture of a pint of beer to thank me.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:53 am

Ta for that, most interesting. Did the shortish scale feel odd at all?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext