You are here

Gibson Marauder

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Gibson Marauder

Postby ef37a » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 pm

My son is thinking of trading his Rikky for the Gibson.

He wants the humbucker for a punchier jazz sound. Any information, problems or personal likes/dislikes gratefully received.

I have asked him to furnish me with a serial number.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Gibson Marauder

Postby ore_terra » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 pm

think is a quite uneven deal... I wouldn't do it.

besides, those pickups are not great and difficult to substitute in the most likely case that your son doesnt like them either, as they're not "standard" pickups.

edit: here's a 78'. the site is in spanish, but there are a lot of pictures:

http://www.pisotones.com/Reportajes/Gibson/Marauder/Marauder.htm
ore_terra
Regular
We are The Petra Flowers - Facebook - Youtube - Bandcamp

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:36 pm

One of Gibson's most disliked models. Not as rare as the '58-'60 LP sunbursts but at a total of 7200 made, not that far off. Non-Gibson Bill Laurence pickups were fitted, so no traditional Gibson sounds. The pickups (if still original) are a lot brighter. So it's more akin to a Fender Tele custom than anything else in the Gibson stable.

Bodies can be made from alder, maple or mahogany (so much for Gibson's consistency), maple necks with maple, rosewood or ebony fretboards, so no guaranteed consistency of sound between guitars either, especially if he's played one but it's a different one that's on offer.

If he can get one cheaply and really likes the sound, then it's his choice and I wouldn't stop him. But for the £1500 or so they seem to be going for these days, personally I'd prefer a used Les Paul, 335 or 339.

There will come a point in the future when he kicks himself for trading in a real Rickenbacker (what model?) for a Marauder. If he wants something more jazzy then I'd keep the Ric and get a £200 335 copy like the Harley Benton mentioned elsewhere here recently. The Marauder is one of those guitars that you add to your 20+ guitar collection when you feel the need to add something different.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby mashedmitten » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:44 pm

What model Ric? Can he play it before purchase?

I have a Les Paul Special that I LOVE. Plays like a dream and won't go out of tune even after bouncing in the case for a while. A smidge of a turn on the truss rod after change of seasons is all I do to it. It's a little lighter than a Standard or Custom, but not as light as the Studios feel. Pots are my only nit, but new ones will be ordered as soon as I put a list together for other parts I need.
mashedmitten
Regular
Nate

Postby zenguitar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:41 am

The Marauder is one of many experiments made by Gibson when they were owned by Norlin. The key thing to understand is that they are very un-Gibson like Gibsons and that there were quality issues when Norlin were in charge.

Having said that, I do remember wanting one when they came out and would still like to have one in my collection now for sentimental reasons. Wonks is spot on about the Bill Laurence designed pick-ups, they are nothing like a traditional Gibson humbucker and are early examples of the use of ceramic magnets, not intrinsically bad, just different.

Bottom line... Would I get a good example if it was priced right? Definitely. Would I trade a Rickenbacker for one? Never, that would make the Marauder seriously over-valued.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
I've always been a fine figure of a man. 25 years ago it was measured by quality, now it is measured in quantity.

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:49 am

By the end of the seventies, prog was dying & Les Pauls plummeted in value & desirability. People wanted strats, anything with a pointy headstock , or a teardrop body. Gibson had to do something different and unfortunately it was the Marauder. Nobody wanted them then, nobody wants them now. I've no idea whether they're actually any good, and if so what for, but they aren't 'desirable'.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Teeth will be provided

Postby mashedmitten » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:50 am

Andy's comments made me think this guitar came about when Norlin discovered a surplus of Flying V necks included in the purchase and needed to find a use for them.
mashedmitten
Regular
Nate

Postby ef37a » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:05 am

Hi chaps,
thanks for the swift feedback. I cannot recall the Rick's model. I know it LOOKS like the Lennon one but isn't quite. He likes the guitar and says it is great for THAT sound but little else and the pickups are weak.

Last I saw the guitar it was missing the right bridge screws and a had a couple of other issues but that was ten years ago or more!

He has a decent Strat and a Tele clone and the Marauder he seems to feel gives him a bit of those but with some hum bucker meat?

Keep you posted.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:06 am

Marauders are truly AWFUL guitars. Only ever played by punk bands who picked them up cheap as nobody else wanted them!

You could get a 'proper' Gibson for Rickenbacker money or keep the Ricky and get any one of the clones out there that sound as good and play as well as a Gibson eg a Vintage Lemon Drop which are sensational guitars for the money...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-icon-series-lemon-drop-guitar-/252824921140?hash=item3add8a2434:g:EVwAAOSwB-1YqcRA
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster
Freedom of speech means freedom to offend

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:50 am

Jazz sound? 335 or (if it was me 'cos I already have an "ES175alike") a 339. £1300 last time I looked. Lovely guitar.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Mr G J Guitarist

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:54 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:By the end of the seventies, prog was dying & Les Pauls plummeted in value & desirability. People wanted strats, anything with a pointy headstock , or a teardrop body. Gibson had to do something different and unfortunately it was the Marauder.

They were designed in '74 and produced from '75 to '79, so production ended before the Strat decade of the '80s. It was more a case of Gibson suffering from their own drop in build quality (e.g. pancake body Les Pauls), the flood of Japanese copies (some good, some bad) entering the market and therefore hoping the Marauder would give them a slice of the Fender market to increase their sales.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Bit of detail.
The Gibson ser number is 922345
The Riccy is a model 330 YF which, son tells me is an '85 model.

He quite likes the sound of the Marauder but you all have put him off and he is not going to do the swap! Any ball park ideas on the value of the Rick greatly received.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 pm

I'll be generous and give him £50 for it. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Feeling flush after selling a few bits n pieces - I'll offer him £60 unseen (but he'll need to cover the shipping costs).

The Marauder brought back memories. I think that I only ever encountered one in the flesh. That was back in the early 80s when I had a week depping as bass player with a pro singer / guitarist. I grew up a lot that week.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:57 am

Wonks wrote:They were designed in '74 and produced from '75 to '79, so production ended before the Strat decade of the '80s.
I agree the strat dominated the 80's, but by then the influence of of bands like The Cure, Elvis Costello & The Jam already had us kids (I was one then!) looking elsewhere for guitar heroes. Strange choice of name by Gibson too given Fender had already discontinued a guitar of the same name.

I feel like we've cheated ef37a's son a bit though. It may never be a financially smart swap, but it could still end up as 'one that got away'. Sometimes a guitar just feels/sounds right in your hands in which case the value/heritage becomes immaterial.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Teeth will be provided

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:37 am

They didn't do themselves any favours with the clear green epoxy encapsulated pickups. Had they been standard looking pickups, it might have faired a lot better. I did (and still do) find them very off-putting.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:21 am

I am confused! Are peeps offering me 50/60 quid for the Rickenbacker? Bloody plush line hard case must be worth that!

H e has now been offered an LP Standard 2011 ser 125010491....Better?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby mashedmitten » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:27 am

ef37a wrote:I am confused! Are peeps offering me 50/60 quid for the Rickenbacker? Bloody plush line hard case must be worth that!

Dave.

All comes down to how it plays and whether anything out of adjustment can be put back in. Buying a guitar sight-unseen = buying a pig in a poke.
mashedmitten
Regular
Nate

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:42 pm

mashedmitten wrote:
ef37a wrote:I am confused! Are peeps offering me 50/60 quid for the Rickenbacker? Bloody plush line hard case must be worth that!

Dave.

All comes down to how it plays and whether anything out of adjustment can be put back in. Buying a guitar sight-unseen = buying a pig in a poke.

OK, if it includes the case I'll go to £75 - but that's my final offer.;)

Agree, buying unseen is always a risk. If it's new then you can at least return it under distance selling rules but used - you need to see / play it first as no saying what condition it's in. Also, is the guitar right for him? Les Pauls are fine guitars, and have been behind some of the greatest recordings of all time, but for some reason I can't seem to get on with them (although it's been a while so maybe I should re-visit them).

A LP standard today would set you back a little bit more than a Ricky 330 but, given the way that Gibson change their specs, I have to say that 'Les Paul Standard' would seem to be something of an oxymoron.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:18 pm

The 2011 LP Standard is the same as the 2008 model, when they made a few changes to the previous model. So it should have all the features listed in the Gibson article below. Locking Tone Pros bridge and stop bar, locking grovers, locking jack socket, weight relieved body, asymmetrical neck profile, larger neck tenon, Burstbucker Pros and push-fit connectors for the electric connections, not soldered (the pots are on a circuit board) . It would have come with a factory Plex set-up, so unless it's been messed about with in the meantime. it should be nice and easy to play.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric ... tures.aspx

The Burstbuckers are PAF types, so not overly powerful, clean sounding and so pretty good for jazz with the tone control rolled back.

One probable difference was that 2011 was the year Gibson ran into trouble with the US Govt. over its (supposedly illegally logged) rosewood stocks. So as the guitar was made in September 2011, the fretboard is likely to be Katalox (a rosewood like wood) http://www.wood-database.com/katalox/ or less likely, baked maple (which was mainly used on their cheaper models).
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:46 pm

How old is your son and is there any reason why the Rickenbacker is so special (did you buy it for him as a present)?

I think that too many musicians seem to spend far too much time chasing after some illusive quality that their current instrument doesn't give them. However IME you can't make any valid decisions until you have gigged the new instrument in question and compared it side by side with the one that already own.

I see on so many guitar and bass forums posters who go through a seemingly endless procession of instruments in search of that "something" and who are continually moaning about how great instruments that they no longer own were.

If he is really set on swapping the Rickenbacker for something else then he needs to get out and actually spend some serious time playing these alternatives, because otherwise he is most likely completely wasting his time.
BigRedX
Regular
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Rule 1 of guitar ownership is "Never sell a guitar unless your life depends on it". Even more so when it is one of the guitar classics.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 am

Update:

Son now has the Riccy back and has come to the conclusion that he does not want to part with it but cannot live with the thin, weedy pickups.

I have Googled a bit but cannot find a drop in replacement that will beef up the sound but allow the original pups to be refitted thus restoring the guitar to original condition.

Don't want to start a divisive cow but, he like me considers the pickups produce a good 80-90% of the tone of a 'plank' guitar and wood maybe a bit of 'icing'?

Even better! Would be an external box, EQ say, that could boost and modify the Ric' into a meatier jazzer?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:22 am

Have you tried a simple eq pedal?
I'd be tempted to take it in somewhere and try a selection of pedals and see if there's a simple solution there.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby John Egan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:28 am

ef37a wrote:Update:

Son now has the Riccy back and has come to the conclusion that he does not want to part with it but cannot live with the thin, weedy pickups.

Dave.

Dave,
The comment about the pickups confuses me. I have never played a Ricky with weedy pickups. They are often single coils, but I always think of them as being similar to the old 1950s DeArmonds, which were anything but thin. I don't suppose there is any problem with the pots on the Ricky ?
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Next